Reproramming Cave Story

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yeah, it works, thanks. It doesnt show anything but the text, but the command box says its missing the images, ill update when i copy the images over.
Update:the data folders there, but it says loading.pbm is missing...except loading.pbm's there :/

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Hoxtilicious
It is not able to load loading.pbm and fade.pbm yet, so don't worry.
Also it does nothing with the images yet, expect loading them.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oh, ok. i assumed it wasn't actually playable yet.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Is that too old? I don't understand much about electrical engineering.

If SPG can fix such a thing, then that's great.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well it's not entirely magic, I just googled which OpenGL version is supported by the card.

It's not that old but it's pretty bad when it comes to 3D Games and therefor OpenGL support too. It's from 2010 but only supports OpenGL 1.4, which is from 2002. That is kind of sad (my graphic card for example is much older but it supports OpenGL 3.3). Originally I checked for version 1.5 but now I check for 1.4, so liammillay can play it. I won't go any lower though, 1.3 doesn't even have subtractive blending.

This is one reason I can't use vertex buffer objects for example (fastest method to render in OpengL) because it is not really supported in 1.x and because I don't know how to use it to be honest (it would be no problem to read that up though). Anyway, I guess rendering will be fast enough even without VBOs.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Not anymore
diph.php

diph.php

Download C++ Mint 2.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?aue7qccebchr75x

I got really tired of C++'s weirdness and my inability to think in C++ and not Java. So instead of writing the whole thing in C++, the read-evaluate-print loop for Mint is written in Mint itself.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Hoxtilicious
Nice. How much of it is written in Mint itself though? o:
I'm fearing that it might be somewhat slow, if elementary operations are not written in C++. Do you need some help perhaps?

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Not anymore
C++ is the core.
Java layers on some more elementary functions.
Mint contains the high level read-eval-print-loop, which will not be used inside the game engine because you don't need it.

C++ constructs the foundation, and it runs the language.
Java is the helper, and assists with filling out gaps in the built in libraries.
Mint is the shell which contains it all. It is possible to remove the shell and still have everything run.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Not anymore
Since I am required to write C code for my university classes, I will be changing C++ Mint into: C Mint.
This means, I will be walking the path of Python and Ruby. Both these languages are written in raw form of the C programming language. (either C99 ... or just C, the original version of the language).

Unfortunately, since C++ is actually NOT a strict superset of C, some changes will have to be made to the C interpreter that interprets the Mint code. This is fine. I think I can manage that.

How are you doing, Mr. Project Leader?

EDIT: We are also learning MIPS and ARM assembly in class, instead of something useful like x86 or z80. Lame... sigh...

Quick guide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_of_C_and_C++

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Carrotlord said:
Since I am required to write C code for my university classes, I will be changing C++ Mint into: C Mint.
This means, I will be walking the path of Python and Ruby. Both these languages are written in raw form of the C programming language. (either C99 ... or just C, the original version of the language).

Unfortunately, since C++ is actually NOT a strict superset of C, some changes will have to be made to the C interpreter that interprets the Mint code. This is fine. I think I can manage that.

EDIT: We are also learning MIPS and ARM assembly in class, instead of something useful like x86 or z80. Lame... sigh...

Quick guide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_of_C_and_C++
Still OK, although yes I'd still stick to C++, regardless of how conformant C is.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Not anymore
I don't like C++. It's much more difficult to use than C.
This is not a joke or a troll. Although I do admit that people on LinkedIn (which is a place where you find jobs and things) are super easy to troll because they are all old men who don't know anything about 4chan, this time I am not trolling.

C is simpler and faster than C++. That's why it's easier to use, and also why I think it's better than C++. That's just my opinion. Many people think I am wrong. But I don't care. If I think it's easier for me, then it's easier for me. Guido van Rossum certainly does love C more than C++. And he invented Python. That's not a small feat in any way.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Carrotlord said:
I don't like C++. It's much more difficult to use than C.
This is not a joke or a troll. Although I do admit that people on LinkedIn (which is a place where you find jobs and things) are super easy to troll because they are all old men who don't know anything about 4chan, this time I am not trolling.

C is simpler and faster than C++. That's why it's easier to use, and also why I think it's better than C++. That's just my opinion. Many people think I am wrong. But I don't care. If I think it's easier for me, then it's easier for me. Guido van Rossum certainly does love C more than C++. And he invented Python. That's not a small feat in any way.
Obviously.

But as for me, since I got used with OOP, I preferred Java first, then eventually C++ and C#. After that, I eventually lost interest with POP a bit, but C is easy, yes.

It's a matter of getting used with PLs you use.

And I never liked any Assembly Language.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Not anymore
Lisp is better than ASM. It's more nested. And more self-similar.

Also, Lisp can be defined mathematically, and it is hard to separate ASM and the bits. Bits have nothing to do with CompSci, because in reality, CompSci should just be a formalization of how-to, exactly like mathematics is a formalization of what-is.

I keep forgetting which website I am on. I just trolled about nothing on a professional website, and I talked about an actual programming language on this website. Wow...

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Carrotlord said:
Lisp is better than ASM. It's more nested. And more self-similar.

Also, Lisp can be defined mathematically, and it is hard to separate ASM and the bits. Bits have nothing to do with CompSci, because in reality, CompSci should just be a formalization of how-to, exactly like mathematics is a formalization of what-is.

I keep forgetting which website I am on. I just trolled about nothing on a professional website, and I talked about an actual programming language on this website. Wow...
Because Lisp is functional, it is. Oh, man. I love stack programming. I love stacks. But still, I won't be getting my hands on ASM until it is my extreme need to.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You know that if you "troll" here, you're just going to get banned, right?

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Understanding that would require it to be self-aware, GIR

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Hoxtilicious
Oh, obviously I didn't know that it is normal here now for moderators to bully users. Good to know that it was a good idea to stay away from this forum.

Been through a lot of stress and work, I'm not working at this thing at the moment (it's not so easy to do so alone anyway), you may still be able to reach me through E-Mail or Skype though.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

This might be offtopic but I don't care about that at all, if you like to then warn or ban, infract me, do as you like.

Just one more thing before I leave into the all-consuming void again: I was warned for "Disrespect of site staff", how about taking your own advice?

Or is this what you call respect:

Understanding that would require it to be self-aware, GIR

http://www.cavestory...e-6#entry162087
The council could not reach a decision as to whether it is a result of direct trolling or simply a broken fractured mind, as the vote was annulled when it pointed out that it didn't matter anyway since they were both bannable.

http://www.cavestory...e-5#entry162542
TheCore has been banned for either having an asshole friend or being an asshole

http://www.cavestory...e-5#entry162542
Jesvice has been banned for being a dick in the "Who killed the colons" thread

http://www.cavestory...e-4#entry151690
Go and infract yourself.

Also, this last one, where you jumped at him because he mentioned he trolled on a random website you don't even know about:

You know that if you "troll" here, you're just going to get banned, right?

http://www.cavestory...e-6#entry162085
You insult the users and I get warned for mentioning it, yeah right.
If you don't want any critic then go ahead and delete my post or ban me, whatever pleases you, however my point was made clear to you. And I know that it works like that here for months already.

The only thing I have learned is that I should have never left this forum in the first place.

Whoever wants to contact me, feel free to do so through E-Mail or Skype because I don't think I will visit this place any time again in the near future.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I'm sorry, but I don't see how doing our job (banning people for being dicks/trolling/incoherent posting) is being disrespectful at all. We gave them warnings and they continued to misbehave, and then they were banned.

I'll admit that Noxid's comments on carrotlord were at times a bit abrasive, but given how Carrotlord had been acting I don't think they were undeserved.

I didn't jump on him for when he mentioned trolling on another site, I just told him that if he trolled here he'd be banned. What is wrong with that??

Anyways if you never come back uh I'll really miss you, I'll miss you so much.