Replace/Creating Backgrounds or tilesets

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
This is a bigger question so I don't really think I should put it in the quick answers thread
If I was sorry please move it then with your fancy stuff

So I've seen in a lot of games people have a variety of backgrounds and new tilesets

Some common ones that I SEE areeee:
1.) Mountains tileset (with mountains background)
2.) Road/grass tileset (with city/mountains background, represents surface)
3.) Slightly dark themed grasstown or balcony (normal sky background)

Should I even add one of these??
I just thought putting one in would make it seem kind of cool, I really like those mountain backgrounds or the idea of going to the surface

So am I even able to replace or create backgrounds or tilesets?
If so, how?
I'm pretty sure I know how to replace, and I think someone told me how to change blocks (so certain tiles act differently)

But I'd be removing some, which I'd prefer not to do...
So is there any way to CREATE them?
I'm ok with doing stuff outside of the normal editor, and maybe downloading other things but I don't want to go to crazy, and start doing super crazy stuff just to add one of these things.
If backgrounds are easier to add then tilesets, please also tell. Mountains background would be awesome!

Or should I just put this in a whole new game if I ever make another? (Unless I can CREATE them, and not replace)

Thanks y'all who help
I always get confused on things outside of editors, I don't have super experience with files and stuff like that

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:31 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You just have to make a new bmp and put it in the same folder as the others, and make sure the name starts with Bk or Prt for backgrounds and tilesets respectively. That's it.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM
You just have to make a new bmp and put it in the same folder as the others, and make sure the name starts with Bk or Prt for backgrounds and tilesets respectively. That's it.

REALLY????
add ?x100000

In boosters lab will it show up in the options for the map data?

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:36 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Creating new art for your mod can be quite difficult, It's not an easy thing to do, especially when you have to make either it all yourself or fix the coherent style of CS.

To do this, you have to look in the data folder and if you've opened up the .exe in Boostes lab then it should have converted all the images to .bmp and you are free to edit them how you like, just remember that tilesets are limited to 256X256 and backgrounds are limited to 320X420 (though you can make bk s larger via assembly as Clownacy did in his widescreen hack for the parallax background)

The only exception is that bullet.bmp can expand infinitely downwards. and caret.bmp can go infinitely sideways.

You can also make new bitmaps as long as they follow the rules above and don't have weird unicode characters you just have to edit the mapdata in the exe to accept them after you make them.

Also don't take other peoples mod stuff without asking, it's frowned upon around here and there's no harm in asking (though I would strongly recommend showing that you're a capable modder first, people are more likely to give you handouts if you show you are capable of producing decent content.)

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Creating new art for your mod can be quite difficult, It's not an easy thing to do, especially when you have to make either it all yourself or fix the coherent style of CS.

To do this, you have to look in the data folder and if you've opened up the .exe in Boostes lab then it should have converted all the images to .bmp and you are free to edit them how you like, just remember that tilesets are limited to 256X256 and backgrounds are limited to 320X420 (though you can make bk s larger via assembly as Clownacy did in his widescreen hack for the parallax background)

The only exception is that bullet.bmp can expand infinitely downwards. and caret.bmp can go infinitely sideways.

You can also make new bitmaps as long as they follow the rules above and don't have weird unicode characters you just have to edit the mapdata in the exe to accept them after you make them.

Also don't take other peoples mod stuff without asking, it's frowned upon around here and there's no harm in asking (though I would strongly recommend showing that you're a capable modder first, people are more likely to give you handouts if you show you are capable of producing decent content.)
Thank you! I'd probably make the tilesets and things like that 40000x40000 and wonder what was going wrong for a really long time...

I wasn't planning on taking other peoples mod stuff, I just liked their ideas of putting mountains and stuff (I'd draw my own)
Sorry if that sounded confusing when I said I liked what other people did

EDIT:
UMMM Tiny issue...
Whenever I Try making my own mountains background, I make it and the colors keep reverting to basic blue
This is a similar issue to what I had before with yellow going to gray... how do I fix this??

BY THE WAY EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS YAY!!! I was able to get the backgruond in (haven't tried the tilesets yet)

still I'm using the paint "app" in windows (comes with it) and it just seems to be changing the light yellow to gray and dark blue to normal blue

why is this? Basic colors like yellow stay the same

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Use something like Paint.net, that way BMPs will save with all colors automatically. Using paint and saving a BMP sets it to a 16-color BMP, which is something you don't really want.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:35 AM
Use something like Paint.net, that way BMPs will save with all colors automatically. Using paint and saving a BMP sets it to a 16-color BMP, which is something you don't really want.

Oh thats probably why its only the basic colors

What is paint.net? I hear a lot of people say to use it, but it keeps directing me to a REAL paint website called warren paint or something like that

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Sep 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Soup Man
For someone who's named after a famous Youtube pooper, you sure don't use the internet as much.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paint.net
His problem was that typing paint.net in the search/address bar redirected him to a different website. Anyways, I know a ton of people who are highly active online and have no idea what paint.net is.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:38 AM
Sep 20, 2017 at 3:20 AM
Soup Man
Sep 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM
Ok so I fixed the whole art thing

But now yet again ANOTHER issue
Now full screen is doing that thing again where it takes up the top left corner of my screen and everything else is gray!!!
It's like it keeps switching on and off randomly

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:23 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
don't use fullscreen

Sep 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Follow the instructions here:
http://www.cavestory.org/troubleshooting.php

Quoted for your convenience:
In full screen mode the game only occupies the upper-left quadrant of the screen.

Right-click on Doukutsu.exe, select properties, click on the "Compatibility" tab, tick "Run in 640x480 resolution", and hit OK. Do not have this set if running the game in windowed mode.

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:26 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Sep 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM
Based Member
Huh. Strangely, I don't have that problem. My resolution is automatically put to 640*480 when I run Cave Story in Fullscreen (with Windows 10, and I didn't tick "Run in 640*480 resolution"). Is it normal ?
Same for me. I don't completely know why, but on some systems this problem occurs, and on others it doesn't. I've played Cave Story on Windows 98, XP, Vista, 7, and 10, and never had this happen.

Sep 20, 2017 at 8:23 PM
Sep 21, 2017 at 1:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Try setting compatibility mode to windows 98 as well.

Huh. Strangely, I don't have that problem. My resolution is automatically put to 640*480 when I run Cave Story in Fullscreen (with Windows 10, and I didn't tick "Run in 640*480 resolution"). Is it normal ?
That is normal. Cave Story is meant to work that way.