Relationship between Quote and Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Kind of branched off an old discussion in the Quote x Curly thread.

(Some spoilers in here)

I see it as being entirely plausible, more likely Sue being interested in Quote than the other way around. First of all, at the end of the first egg corridor, Sue immediately wants to stick with Quote and work together to get off the island. I also saw this whole cutscene as a bonding moment of sorts. She also asks Booster and Kazuma if Quote can come along with them a little later.

Another point is that Mahin suggests that Sue's letter might be a love letter. Sure it wasn't, but that shows that Pixel (as well a Mahin) had the concept in mind.

I also interpreted the very end (normal ending) where you jump off the island together to show them as being kind of close, by making a potential leap of death together. They're also shown together in many of the credit cutscenes.

Like I said I may just be interpreting the whole game like this because I have a raging fanboy crush on Sue, but even those feelings aside it seems entirely plausable.

Thoughts?

Sep 9, 2009 at 6:08 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whether Quote decides to jump off the island with Sue really determines how he feels about her. For instance, Quote and Sue aren't in any cutscenes together in the best ending, because QUOTE <3's CURLY!!!!!!11ONE
It also might be because Quote is the only male human(-ish thing) on the Island that is not her brother and is approximately her age. You know how teenagers are.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I have always been one for Quote x Curly, but sir Yakkers makes a convincing argument there.

And I must agree with it on some points. I can also totally see it happening. I especially love how if you tell Sue that you saved her after she got beat up by Igor, she just shoves you off. So tsundere (In b4 someone bitches at me for using a Japanese terminology)

So, yes. Do I support it as much as Quote and Curly? No. But it is still very possible and/or likely she either looks up to Quote as a big brother figure, or digs him.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
@Jake: What exactly do u mean :confused:

anyway, yeah you make a convincing argument Yak, although I personally think of Quote/Sue as more of a friendship, something more than that is certainly quite plausible.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I dunno, I'm still not really convinced. I mean, sure, Pixel gave us some romantic interest establishing, but that's all. Of course, as Pixel said, it's left to the player's imagination, so I won't mind if you disagree with my opinion. But let's get to the point:
My biggest complaint is that Sue being interested in anyone is so out of character. Well, at least that's how I see it. Also, are we supposed to believe that an underage girl and a robot are supposed to be the official pair (when we ignore Sacred Grounds)? I'm sorry, but am I the only one who can see the problem here? Then there's the fact that all the Quote&Sue scenes can be interpreted in a different way. Take for example the Egg No.00 scene: Her Tsundere-ish flip-out could just mean that, being the tomboy she is, she just hates being rescued like a weak girl. Also, her offer of help to Quote. Consider this: Being neck-deep in shit, she meets someone in the same situation who is totally confused and, unlike about everybody else, doesn't want to kill her. Is she supposed to leave him there and thus do the same thing the others have done to her? I think not.
Mahin suggesting the "love letter"? Well, when I first saw that line, I just thought it was just a sarcastic quip and thought nothing else of that. So, eye of beholder and all that crap.
That leap of faith death? Well, if you had to choose whether to jump and only probably die by falling all the way down to the Earth Surface or stay and surely die by getting crushed, what would you do? Oh, you were talking about the scene's symbolism? I'm sorry, I usually take the rational approach.
Also, you forgot to mention the scene just before the Undead Core fight, where Quote backs away to save Sue's life. (See? I'm even doing your job here.) Either he truly loves her, or he is just the good guy and does what every good guy does. Saves his friend. (Yes, friend, because if someone works hard to get you from a hellhole like the Island, you surely call him a friend.)
So, there you go. My Video Review Show-induced rant about my opinion on the subject. Double emphasis on "opinion" and quadruple on "my".

PS: Holy shit! Such a wall of text!

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM
meep
Those are some good points there. But as Pixel said, "I leave that up to the player's imagination" so there's a lot to be interpreted differently. And I completely forgot about the undead core part, that's another good point.

Mahin's comment definitely could just be a little sarcastic joke, as in the ever so common hint at something going on between a trans-gender friendship. I probably only interpreted it that way because I wanted it to be true, hehe.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:40 PM
daughter of chivalry
T-Jack said:
Mmmm that's not as fun though.

Yakkers said:
I probably only interpreted it that way because I wanted it to be true, hehe.

No, Yakkers, you just wish you were Quote.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:30 AM
meep
Wild Desu said:
No, Yakkers, you just wish you were Quote.

If only it really was a love letter :confused:
Another moment where I wish I knew how to mod.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:05 AM
Wild Desu said:
No. But it is still very possible and/or likely she either looks up to Quote as a big brother figure,
Ouch. Way to diss Kazuma.
Anyway, T-Jack, you seem to have thought about this a lot. NOW will you admit being a furry? Or did you just feel like using a bunch of words?
FINAL VERDICT: NONE. USE YOUR GOD DAMN IMAGINATION. BECAUSE EVERYTHING IN THE GAME IS AMBIGUOUS.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM
daughter of chivalry
Captain Fabulous said:
Ouch. Way to diss Kazuma.
Anyway, T-Jack, you seem to have thought about this a lot. NOW will you admit being a furry? Or did you just feel like using a bunch of words?
FINAL VERDICT: NONE. USE YOUR GOD DAMN IMAGINATION. BECAUSE EVERYTHING IN THE GAME IS AMBIGUOUS.

Daaaaamn I completely forgot about the green haired sex machine.
Also, QFT

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Captain Fabulous said:
Yes, I thought about this a lot... as I was typing my reply. As I said, I was influenced by a VRS, specifically Confused Matthew. You all know how these show affect me, right? And, um, why should I be a furry when I dismiss Quote/Sue?

Captain Fabulous said:
Exactly.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:26 PM
meep
That's whats so great about Cave Story: I can enjoy my fantasy while everyone else can ignore the potential furfaggotry. Everybody wins!

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:42 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
Omg. This thread could be awesome.

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I agree

I see curly as a very close freind who protects quote.
And the only resembalance i see of quote and curly been in love is fan art not in the actuall game, i mean i saw the iron bond as a sign of frendship not love (It did have a love heart on it but...) I think Sue And Quote are a lot more close, She got took away by the doctor and he tried to save her from jail then He read the letter and decided he was going to finish misery and the doctor off once and for all and risked his life to save sue. I mean he did jump off a floating island in the sky with her! When he knew nothing lyin at the start of the game he did meet king and toroko but i kind of saw king as a boy (Is she/he) and they where like brothers because quote avenged king by taking his sword and fighting in his name. And at the final scene with curly (after balloss fight) he makes no effort at all to stop the walls from closing in or trying to ecape with curly he just watched as curly was nearly killed. This is my point of view im not a bad person because i think quote is not in love with curly, My opinion is mine and thats the whole reason these forums where created, so we could have our own opinions

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM
but, but, but...
this is the quotexSUE thread.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM
meep
Ryuuoutan said:
Omg. This thread could be awesome.
Yes, yes it could, but if it did it would probably get closed...

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM
graters gonna grate
Oh, god.

(first person to say "Yes?" is dead meat)

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM
graters gonna grate
I think you missed the joke...

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM
meep
Yeah I noticed that after, so I'll redirect my post towards Jacob.

Status
Not open for further replies.