Regions of Piramidos! (A game i'll make in a couple of years.)

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
:/
That is completely irrelevant and doesn't make my statement any less true.

Oh and, by the way, I am an asshole. It's not just to you. Don't let yourself feel special.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ok, Liammillay and Dunc2403. Stop. Take it to another forum.
Now let me say this; I make comics,so art and storytelling is something I understand. I've also used gamemaker, so I do have a little experience actually making games. Playing a lot of games would actually give you a good idea of level design, but only if you pay attention to how other people design their levels. If you play a game with bad level design, then you as a game designer would know that that is something that doesn't work.
I think I've covered all that has been doubted, but I'm sure I did miss something

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
t3h1337n3rd said:
Ok, Liammillay and Dunc2403. Stop. Take it to another forum.
:/
It was a perfectly reasonable discussion to have until he used my assholeyness as a reason for why I was wrong.

Now let me say this; I make comics,so art and storytelling is something I understand.
Yeah we're with you on that.
>I've
also used gamemaker, so I do have a little experience actually making games.[/QUOTE]Okay yeah that's good[/quote] Playing a lot of games would actually give you a good idea of level design, but only if you pay attention to how other people design their levels.[/quote]For the third time total, no.
If you play a game with bad level design, then you as a game designer would know that that is something that doesn't work.
Not necessarily. Lots of the time you have no idea why it's bad, you just know it is.[/quote]

Okay what the fuck just happened

I don't get it what is ipboard doing to my post

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Just pay attention and you could see why it's bad. Dunc, If you don't have the brain power or the creativity on to see why a game is good or bad, that doesn't mean other people don't.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Having played loss of games is only useful to you if you can critically see them as a whole and in parts. If you can take ideas from games completely out of the genre youre working in and implement them with complete understanding of why you would use those and not others. You have to really fundamentally understand what those games really are and how the design choices compliment or hurt that. Otherwise s large library of previously played games is just a source of things to steal small ideas from without any idea why they were used in those games. Lots of people have made terrible games, and we don't call them experts in the subject as a result. So screwing around in game maker and playing games all your life won't matter until you personally are capable of making something that demonstrates that knowledge.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
liammillay said:
Yes, it is true. Just think about it. Play through a game, and see what parts you find fun. Then you know what is fun in a game.
And if you pay attention to how the levels are designed in a bunch of games, you will know how to design levels, based on what you see in the games.
No. Just don't decide by yourself what is or isn't true based on what you think is more likely. Especially since you don't seem to have the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
Game design is hard. It is not a whole profession with about three years of studying for nothing.
There are so many things in games that greatly improve your gaming experience and that you don't even notice while playing. Difficulty curves, bonus items placement, mapping, user-friendliness of the gameplay and the controls, implicit and explicit guidelines, smoothness of the different sequences of events, ratio action/story/reflexion/exploration, the dimensions of platforms, houses, hitboxes, the space between two (or more) decorative features, the implementation of said features and how they both contrast well with actual gameplay elements and blend well with the background, the textures and the other decorations...
You don't have a lot to think of when you make a game. You have a LOT.
You can't just expect to successfully mimic what other people have done simply by playing games.
If you want, you can try to analyze the very first room of Portal, then listen to the audio commentary of the authors (and other analysis of Portal's game design on the internet) and you will find that they thought a lot about that room. I bet they could talk about it for hours straight. It's just a goddamn glass room with a wall.

Obviously playing games helps, but it's very, very far from being enough.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Matt, I completely agree with you. I personally don't want to study other games to figure out how to make my own. But I was saying that it is possible to play games and learn how to create an interesting game

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Especially since you don't seem to have the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
Don't you dare insult me, prick.

Obviously playing games helps, but it's very, very far from being enough.
Look at pixel. He was inspired by the games he played when he was young, and then he made cave story. It is more than enough.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Hiino, what makes you the expert on making games anyways? I'm not doubting your knowledge, because you do know a lot. But where did you learn all the stuff you know about creating games

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
The Preacher
Oh wow.

Pixel.

What a great example of a one-in-a-million game designer and programmer.

That's precisely the point. Not anybody can hope to do like Pixel, because he's an exception.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Professional Whatever
liammillay said:
Don't you dare insult me, prick.
You're the only one being hostile here
Other people are disagreeing with you and for some reason you find this offensive

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
I don't anymore.
If you want I'll go LP cave story and point out every good and bad design desicion in that game from the ground up and then you can try saying you would have done all that because he could. People all pertain different thought processes and Pixel knew how design worked and what felt good from a game perspective. But without much practice he ended up completely scrapping the game in it's beta phase and remade it again entirely from scratch which was the real bulk of his time. Even he learned through actual study and experiance, even though it was informal.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM
The Preacher
t3h1337n3rd said:
Hiino, what makes you the expert on making games anyways? I'm not doubting your knowledge, because you do know a lot. But where did you learn all the stuff you know about creating games
Well it's not like I have any diploma, sadly. Even though, I have been studying game design and storytelling (by myself) since the age of 14 (I'm 20).
I made some games too, but they are far from being interesting enough to be brought in this conversation.
Obviously, I also have been playing a lot of games since I was 10 and I dream to be an indie game maker one day.

So heh, when people come in and say "doing that is easy you just have to be a gamer geek all day long" it doesn't make me want to befriend them usually. Sorry if I was a little harsh (@you and liam).

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
You were the opposite of harsh to me Hiino! I am really glad that I had someone who knew what the hell they were talking about on this forum. When me and Mevon get a chance to talk again, we will defiantly take a lot of what you said into account for how we design our game. Once we get things going, maybe we can have you test the game. Then again, it will probably take a while to things going.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Veteran Member
I am really glad that I had someone who knew what the hell they were talking about on this forum.
Are you saying i don't know what i'm talking about?

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I don't anymore.
liammillay said:
Are you saying i don't know what i'm talking about?
Calm down and come back later. YOu're not accomplishing anything now, your just getting defensive and reacting towards things at random.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Veteran Member
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Calm down and come back later. YOu're not accomplishing anything now, your just getting defensive and reacting towards things at random.
You know, i wasn't going to give an insult if he said yes, but now YOU'VE made me angry again. I'd advise you to shut up if you dont know what my intentions are.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM
I don't anymore.
You're on the internet. If someone misreads you then you did a poor job at picking what to type. Also you're not helping with that statement anyways. You're just being mad and if you intend to make a point then it won't matter cause no one will consider what you say in that state.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:32 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Liam I'm gonna ask you to please be a little less defensive, there is no need to be angry here.
I think pretty much all points have been made anyway so there's no need to really drill on the subject any more than it has been.