Red Flowers and The Demon Crown... Are They Attainable?

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The theory behind the question is this. The fact that all items' names, when described in text during the game, are surrounded by two dots. An example of this is shown here .
When they talk about the Demon Crown or the Red Flowers, they have the dots around their names as well. I believe that if it is possible to get them, someone may have already gotten them. So is it possible to get them? If so, how is it done?

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
darkcrusader said:
The theory behind the question is this. The fact that all items' names, when described in text during the game, are surrounded by two dots. An example of this is shown here .
When they talk about the Demon Crown or the Red Flowers, they have the dots around their names as well. I believe that if it is possible to get them, someone may have already gotten them. So is it possible to get them? If so, how is it done?

We have already beyond completely dismantled this game. There is clearly no way to get any of these things because they're not items. They have the special "=" characters because they're special.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm almost certain this isn't possible, since we would have figured it out by now with access the editors and assembly code.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, sorry to disappoint.
HOWEVER!

This'd make for an interesting mod.

Demon Story: The Doctor-King
:confused:
Basically you play as the Doctor on his quest to get the crown.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sorta like how in textbooks and Star Wars, important stuff is capitalized or bolded or something.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Banned
Yakkers said:
I'm almost certain this isn't possible, since we would have figured it out by now with access the editors and assembly code.

Almost? Entirely certain.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:50 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Fire1052 said:
We have already beyond completely dismantled this game. There is clearly no way to get any of these things because they're not items. They have the special "=" characters because they're special.

Well, I considered that, but the store house key does not have the "=" around its name. But whatever, I guess there's no way to get the flowers. I wanted to enrage some people and see what would happen.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Banned
darkcrusader said:
Well, I considered that, but the store house key does not have the "=" around its name. But whatever, I guess there's no way to get the flowers. I wanted to enrage some people and see what would happen.

Fail troll is fail. Fail troll is secretly refusing to admit that he was trolling by acting like he's an innocent fail troll who was subtly trolling.

And the storehouse key doesn't have ='s because it's not important to you, mostly because you already get like sixty other keys.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:53 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Someone really needs to lurk a bit...

Items themselves are nothing but a bunch of pixels that refer to a single flag, which is either off or on.
{Except for Missles and Life Capsules, which simply run a single event}

But, ah, this reminds me of other game myths...
Some people still believe there's a secret, hidden Magicite in Final Fantasy VI, because there would always be an empty slot, even after you've collected them all...
Even after being proven false by delving through the game's code and using simple logic to deduce that the empty slot was left as a space for when swapping Magicites, people still believe in it...

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM
Banned
Re: Someone really needs to lurk a bit...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Items themselves are nothing but a bunch of pixels that refer to a single flag, which is either off or on.
{Except for Missles and Life Capsules, which simply run a single event}

But, ah, this reminds me of other game myths...
Some people still believe there's a secret, hidden Magicite in Final Fantasy VI, because there would always be an empty slot, even after you've collected them all...
Even after being proven false by delving through the game's code and using simple logic to deduce that the empty slot was left as a space for when swapping Magicites, people still believe in it...

Except that nobody but this guy believes this and he's probably coming to terms with this about now.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Better question would be... if they are in the game, what would there use be? How would it affect the plot?

Personally, when I code things I like to hide things in the code, expect the impossible/illogically coded item/magicite to exist lol
Though I doubt Pixel did that...

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:18 AM
Banned
X-Calibar said:
Better question would be... if they are in the game, what would there use be? How would it affect the plot?

Panties, Lipstick...

X-Calibar said:
Personally, when I code things I like to hide things in the code, expect the impossible/illogically coded item/magicite to exist lol

Beast Fang...

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:08 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
This thread should've been done after the first post...

Fire1052 said:
X-Calibar said:
BPersonally, when I code things I like to hide things in the code, expect the impossible/illogically coded item/magicite to exist lol
Beast Fang...
Beast Fang, hidden? Ha.
The Beast Fang is the oppisite of hidden, it's just an item that was never used.
That's practically in plain sight, if you just use either editor.
You can either find the entity or just look through the ArmsItem.TSC...
I think X-Calibar means something more complicated, such as preventing the game from even reading the code properly, the Beast Fang was hidden just by moving the entity down one block so it was in the ground....

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:51 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Yeah, for example, Pixel could have secret maps or items in the form of raw data hidden inside the exe (not read as external files). However, this is extremely unlikely and we probably would have found it already anyways.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:18 AM
Banned
Re: This thread should've been done after the first post...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
Beast Fang, hidden? Ha.
The Beast Fang is the oppisite of hidden, it's just an item that was never used.
That's practically in plain sight, if you just use either editor.
You can either find the entity or just look through the ArmsItem.TSC...
I think X-Calibar means something more complicated, such as preventing the game from even reading the code properly, the Beast Fang was hidden just by moving the entity down one block so it was in the ground....

Technically, it was hidden by that block. The point I'm trying to make is that it's an item that's unattainable, but was still put into the game. The other two I mentioned were attainable but had no bearing on the game.

And carrotlord, we've seen the raw data, and we've read over it many times. It's not there. We'd know.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:22 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Droll on and on...

Fire1052 said:
Technically, it was hidden by that block. The point I'm trying to make is that it's an item that's unattainable, but was still put into the game.
I know what you meant, but I was trying to make it clear what X-Calibar said, which was hiding things in a more complicated matter than simply sticking them in a block...
{Complicated as in, not being readily accessible simply by using the editors}

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM
Banned
Re: Droll on and on...

VoidMage_Lowell said:
I know what you meant, but I was trying to make it clear what X-Calibar said, which was hiding things in a more complicated matter than simply sticking them in a block...
{Complicated as in, not being readily accessible simply by using the editors}

It serves no purpose and is entirely unattainable. I read X-Calibar's post and I understood it. You obviously didn't understand mine.

X-Calibar simply meant something hidden in the make-up of the game. i.e., Beast Fang.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:33 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
And on.

Fire1052 said:
It serves no purpose and is entirely unattainable. I read X-Calibar's post and I understood it. You obviously didn't understand mine.

X-Calibar simply meant something hidden in the make-up of the game. i.e., Beast Fang.
The Beast Fang isn't hidden at all in the code, though, it's in plain sight, along side every single other item.
X-Calibar said:
Impossible/illogically coded item, something that wouldn't show up with the others, which Beast Fang does.
Something like Carrot and I suggested, hidden code that couldn't be read by the game properly.
The Beast Fang really isn't hidden so much as it's been cast aside....
I don't think that's what X-Calibar meant.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:14 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Fire1052 said:
And carrotlord, we've seen the raw data, and we've read over it many times. It's not there. We'd know.

The maps, spritesheets, and the TSC scripts, yes. We know there is nothing new there that we haven't found already.

However, I'm extremely doubtful that anyone has read through every single line of Cavestory's assembly code and fully knows where everything is and exactly what everything does. By secret
"impossible/illogically coded item/magicite"(s), that could mean anything, including unused functions not accessible by any normal editor (e.g. the FPS counter).

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:21 PM
Banned

carrotlord said:
However, I'm extremely doubtful that anyone has read through every single line of Cavestory's assembly code and fully knows where everything is and exactly what everything does. By secret
"impossible/illogically coded item/magicite"(s), that could mean anything, including unused functions not accessible by any normal editor (e.g. the FPS counter).

I knew what you meant, and this is exactly what I was talking about. We've done this.