Reconstructing Cave Story

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey guys and gals!

So I'm a fan of Cave Story. I'm not going to claim I'm the best at it, nor the smarter than Pixel (in fact, for sure I'm not even as smart as). But regardless, I decided to make a video series called "Reconstructing Cave Story", in which we re-program from ground up Pixel's masterpiece. You can check out the on-going playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL006xsVEsbKjSKBmLu1clo85yLrwjY67X

Again. It's only programming. No art/game design/music creation/sound creation. But for those of you who are interested in learning what went into creating a game like Cave Story, this is a great way to see.

You can also check out the official sub-reddit (reddit is super easy to create forums for) at:
http://www.reddit.com/r/reconstructcavestory/

If you DO end up watching, and find something different than the original game, please please please let me know. I want to make this a *good* reconstruction. There are so few "complete game" series out there, and I think this is a good resource for people. I would have loved to have a good, complete game series as a beginning programmer, and you can help others to have that!

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
We do have a lot of unfinished cave story engines, but a video series may be both more entertaining and more helpful for beginner programmers. Good luck.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Coffee said:
.....a video series may be both more entertaining and more helpful for beginner programmers.....
Like me.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm not a programmer, I'm not even a beginner really. Maybe watching this series will give me some insight, or maybe it will just go straight over my head. Either way, it seems pretty useful, so good luck!

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I could use a refresher course. Maybe this would be good for me.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM
War criminal
I would love to learn how to program again. I guess I can start off with this.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
TLincoln said:
I would love to learn how to program again. I guess I can start off with this.

If I may say, this is a great place to start :). If you have any questions, please feel free to ask on the sub-reddit or as a youtube comment. I'm almost sure to reply.

Mar 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Didn't Noxid pretty much already do this?
This looks like a great learning resource though.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yakkers said:
Didn't Noxid pretty much already do this?
This looks like a great learning resource though.
If you are talking about the NXEngine, then yeah. I actually didn't find out about it until I was like 25 videos in, but at that point I had already committed myself to it.

If you aren't talking about NXEngine, then I don't know what you are talking about and would love to see it. :)

A lot of (especially beginning intermediate) programmers have trouble learning by reading code. And especially when I was beginning there weren't a lot of BIG tutorials that cover all of the dirty details of creating a real game. And again, not many in C++, which is the most widely used language in professional game development.

So even though the engine already exists, I decided it was worth it to keep going regardless.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
chebert said:
If you aren't talking about NXEngine, then I don't know what you are talking about and would love to see it. :)
He's likely talking about CsEngine, the engine behind K:SS.

Mar 10, 2014 at 12:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
This seems cool. Can't wait to watch them.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:39 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Will definitely check it out! Good luck!