Realm of the Mad God

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:14 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I found this game the other day, it's really been keeping me busy.
Imagine a light MMO with shmup combat and bullet dodging. Leveling up is very fast, but when you die your character is deleted. That probably doesn't sound great, but once you die it tallies up your score and gives you some in-game currency based on how well you did. It's not really like losing the one character you put so much time into like an actual MMO, you're meant to die and it's more about trying out new classes and going for high scores with each new game.

It's also based in flash and autosaves without needing an account. It's not really anything to take too seriously, but it's an excellent time waster.

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:37 AM
Member Title
Oh hey. I've played this 2-3 times.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:43 AM
meep
I've always dreamed about a top-down 2d shooter RPG, so I was happy to find this thing. It's not exactly how I'd have gone about making one, but it'll be more inspiration for that game project I always daydream about but will probably never end up making.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:52 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I played this once, got like a warrior or something to level 14 or so?

then I died and got super depressed

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:26 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I can't wait until I can get on my computer to do this it sounds like the best thing

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Cyowolf1122 said:
Spiral knights is a Free-2-play MMO with Legend of Zelda type gameplay and a fair dose of shmup.
Yakkers said:
Imagine a light MMO with shmup combat and bullet dodging.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:01 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
This sounds great. I'll try it and tell you how i fail.
Also, I thought this was refering to the DLC on Oblivion. Where the king of the twisted land is Sheogorath, The Mad God.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:13 AM
meep
I just did what I guess is the equivalent of an MMO dungeon, with a boss and everything. I was our healer and we just barely took the thing down, and got some mad lewts.

I like this game.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I've been playing this for quite a bit now. What I really like is how everyone in a party gets the same amount of experience that they would if they were fighting a monster alone. To the best of my knowledge, most MMOs divide and distribute experience between the party, which to me, discourages teamwork and social interaction. As you can imagine, these should be things that people should value in multi-player games.

In Realm of the Mad God, nearby people automatically become a party, without the need to send or accept any invitations. This makes the parties incredibly spontaneous and the teamwork very uncoordinated, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

Once when I was playing, I entered a dungeon with at least 30 people. With so many people around it became incredibly difficult to coordinate attacks and as a result, people were dieing left, right and centre. When our numbers were reduced to around 5, as a team, we could coordinate attacks incredibly easily, and avoid further casualties.

I really love it how you can have a lot of fun regardless of the size of your army.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Arg! Curse you, I cant- Stop- Playing!

Seriously, ever since I saw this thread Ive been playing in every instant of my free time.

On permanent death: It can be very annoying to die right after reaching lvl 20, but dying forever makes the game much more thrilling.

Plus, the game can afford to be built so that it is possible to get a ridiculously powerful character in a short period of time. Games where death is temporary can't let you finish a character so quickly because the game would become boring sooner.

This game is evidence that permanent death can be set up to make things much more fun.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:09 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
This was fun for a while until I discovered that the enemies are either really easy or really bullshit, and all most of the players do is charge headfirst off to fight the really bullshit ones the moment they make a new character