• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

    All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Re: Monster X

Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:19 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Jul 29, 2009
Location: The Surface
Posts: 240
#1
I think the only aspect of Cave Story we have yet to discuss is Monster X, the cat piloting the infuriating tank in the Labyrinth. Why is it there? Why did it build a giant tank? If it didn't build it, how did it know how to operate it? Is it a boy cat or a girl cat? (The last question is impossible to answer: school taught us that calico cats can only be female, but there are males out there.)

My silly theory is this: Monster X used to be Misery's pet cat. She took it with her when she went to see her uncle and goad him into making the you-know-what (don't feel like using spoilers, and we all should know by now). When things took a turn for the worse, X ran away and wound up in the Labyrinth, where it grew huge eating Gaudis and built a tank for use in protecting its territory, because cats are smrt.

Now, go forth, discuss, and call me a moron!
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#2
Jackalope said:
When things took a turn for the worse, X ran away and wound up in the Labyrinth, where it grew huge eating Gaudis and built a tank for use in protecting its territory, because cats are smrt.

Now, go forth, discuss, and call me a moron!
I'm pretty sure that if X was a normal cat, it wouldn't be able to eat the gaudis. The gaudis would eat it.

Also, I am calling you a moron! Feel the rage!
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Jul 29, 2009
Location: The Surface
Posts: 240
#3
X is likely not a normal cat. It's most probably a magically-enhanced cat, like Jenka's dogs, who can apparently shrink at will (seen during the cast roll). Were they not, the suckers would be dead by now, and it makes sense for witches to magically extend their pets' lives, among other things.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#4
Jackalope said:
X is likely not a normal cat. It's most probably a magically-enhanced cat, like Jenka's dogs, who can apparently shrink at will (seen during the cast roll).
Not necessarily, those are most likely puppies that were spawned from her dogs. Plus the dogs aren't necessarily that old. We can probably confirm that ballos' dog was somewhat magical though, since he was able to tell you to kill ballos. Either that or else quote can see spirit doggys.

Also are you suggesting the Cat had super magical powers? I'd love to see a boss fight like ballos', except you would fight monster X (cat edition) who would scratch at you playfully with bolts of lightning.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:48 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Jul 29, 2009
Location: The Surface
Posts: 240
#5
That depends. I was thinking Jenka's dogs were magic because they can talk, although they often don't choose to, but it could just be that all the animals in Cave Story can talk and just don't feel like it. (And I never was sure what the dealy-o was with the ending...)

As for X, well, it built/operated a tank without opposable thumbs. Unless it only found it and the tank is controlled by brainwaves, nothing's stopping it from having Misery-like powers and maybe being an awesome boss in a mod.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#6
Jackalope said:
As for X, well, it built/operated a tank without opposable thumbs. Unless it only found it and the tank is controlled by brainwaves, nothing's stopping it from having Misery-like powers and maybe being an awesome boss in a mod.
Maybe booster wanted to mess around with a Cat, and built a tank, or maybe Miakid wanted an unstoppable Cat-tank to be a part of his super army.

The main point in the end is that there's too much unknown about monster X, and he probably was just added to appease to pixel's fetish love of cats. For proof you should see pixel's 100 pictures of cats (pixel artwork more or less).

Also not much can explain why the puppy before the last cave can talk to you, or how he/she knows about curly. All animals do seem to have some sort of speech capabilities, like the mimigas, gaudis, humans, cthulus... those are all I can name off the top of my head.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM
Senior Member
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Join Date: Jul 29, 2009
Location: The Surface
Posts: 240
#7
That's true, but that's why we make stuff up. Like Wild Mass Guessing. And it is the only part of the game we haven't made stuff up about.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

lolcats



By the way, that particular dog was likely Hajime, whom Curly took in when he got lost.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 28, 2008
Location: PMMM MMO
Posts: 3714
Age: 27
#8
Jackalope said:
That's true, but that's why we make stuff up. Like Wild Mass Guessing. And it is the only part of the game we haven't made stuff up about.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

lolcats



By the way, that particular dog was likely Hajime, whom Curly took in when he got lost.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Hajime was in the room with curly's panties. Oh well.

Yea eventually we're going to run out of theories, huh? No wonder it's getting this obscure (this isn't too bad, but some of the other newer threads....).

And also I'm starting to write up the patent papers on "Cat-Tank". I wonder how much the government will buy into the idea.....
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Arcane Sanctuary
Posts: 1472
Age: 29
#9
Hey, how 'bout X was cursed by the Crown along with Misery? Seems only reasonable for me if X was Misery's pet cat.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Join Date: Mar 1, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1587
Age: 23
#10
Well the baby... Thing... In one of the Death Jr. games made a giant fucking hamster with his amazing mental prowess. Misery's pretty smart right? And hey, she has magic.
 
Oct 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: Jun 25, 2009
Location:
Posts: 451
#11
Monster X is JiL JiL, who is an alien.
 
Nov 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Join Date: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 1946
#12
I didn't bother reading the whole thread but wouldn't it make sense if Misery/Jenka hired that cat thing so he'd just protect the entrance?
 
Nov 10, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Join Date: May 19, 2009
Location: On Earth
Posts: 441
Age: 29
#13
So, in a sense, that would make him a sort of mercenary then, correct?

That would actually make more sense, considering there's no real "lab" of any sort in which Monster X (the cat part, not the machine) could have been made in.

Hmmmm...

That gives me a few ideas.
 
Nov 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM
The Suicide Option
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Join Date: Jan 1, 2008
Location: Styx
Posts: 1973
#14
Jackalope said:
I think the only aspect of Cave Story we have yet to discuss is Monster X, the cat piloting the infuriating tank in the Labyrinth. Why is it there? Why did it build a giant tank? If it didn't build it, how did it know how to operate it? Is it a boy cat or a girl cat? (The last question is impossible to answer: school taught us that calico cats can only be female, but there are males out there.)

My silly theory is this: Monster X used to be Misery's pet cat. She took it with her when she went to see her uncle and goad him into making the you-know-what (don't feel like using spoilers, and we all should know by now). When things took a turn for the worse, X ran away and wound up in the Labyrinth, where it grew huge eating Gaudis and built a tank for use in protecting its territory, because cats are smrt.

Now, go forth, discuss, and call me a moron!
The only grudges I have with your theory are:
a.) The size issue. Gaudi > Quote ~ Human > Cat, Ie. How would a cat eat the Gaudis?
(Grave robbing? Do Gaudi even die of natural non-killer robot related things?)

b.) "the you-know-what" made me feel like I was reading a Harry Potter review.

That said, I would say it was more playing to Pixel's love of cats. Monster X isn't REALLY a cat-tank, it's just an Easter Egg. Like Ikachan after the Ironhead fight. Or Debug Kitty on the outer wall (Minor mod required, but it's there. Or hell, in that catagory, the Beast Fang). CS is full of secrets like that. And whether or not we like it, there's probably still a couple more in there. I mean, we only just figured out all the TSC commands (On an interesting note, <CAT is the only one that doesn't do anything...).
 
Nov 10, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Oct 24, 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 76
#15
DragonBoots said:
On an interesting note, <CAT is the only one that doesn't do anything...
We don't know that yet...

*Shifty eyes*
 
Nov 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 6, 2009
Location: Forgotten Tower
Posts: 2052
#16
Well, no one can figure out what <CAT does.
I've been told the actual assembly mimics <SAT a lot, but while <SAT speeds up text, <CAT didn't do anything when I tried it.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was just there because it spelt Cat.
Pixel's interesting like that.
 
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Apr 19, 2009
Location:
Posts: 3788
Age: 13
#17
Re: Modding theory discussion


NOT spam
 
Nov 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: May 1, 2009
Location:
Posts: 62
#18
NEKO-TEKO!!!:D
Finding a strange organism residing within the Core chambers, Miakid took it in for research and dubbed the creature Monster X. Due to its' time near the Core it had absorbed a large amount of Core Energy, Miakid decides to use Monster X as a living battery for his Neko-Gunsha project to squash all opposition. When Miakid dies Misery transported it to the Labyrinth where it remained until being destroyed by Quote.

Lol! That's my theory at least.
 
Nov 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Join Date: Jul 10, 2009
Location:
Posts: 1004
Age: 34
#19
What? Did your cat never built a Monster X? Mine does it all the time, yours not? I do not know why to discuss such a commonplace as cat`s building a monster Xs...

Just spend more time with your cat instead of computing all the time, and you`ll see that I am right.
 
Nov 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM
Junior Member
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Join Date: Nov 16, 2009
Location:
Posts: 30
#20
DragonBoots said:
Easter Egg
A bit like the flying dog sprite sheets right? I thought X was Misery's cat that she changed.
 
Top