Rain World

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:49 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXfrSLeLNo
Now that this game is in a more presentable form, I figured I can finally share it with you guys here. The premise of Rain World is that you are an animal(a Slugcat) in a post apocalyptic ecosystem trying to forage for food before the next heavy rain comes. While hunting you must avoid lizards in the environment out to eat you. The game is aesthetically pleasing, & is physics based. There will be a multiplayer mode, there will also be an optional subplot where you can nurse three orphaned pups.
Here's the site, it has the alpha trailer & screenshots, along with general descriptors.
http://joarportfolio.com/rainWorld.html
The game will be launching a kickstarter very soon, if this suits your fancy fund it so I can play it ;)
Here's the original TIGSource thread,
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.0
& I'll link to the kickstarter when it's up.

I forgot to mention, the AI is pretty interesting too, that TIGSource thread is a good read.

KICKSTARTER:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:46 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Is that a cat? *reads site description* Oh. A slugcat. How cute.

The look of this art - it's creepy, but compelling. I just had a look at the monsters in one of the animations, and they appear to flash black and pink.

Not an easy game? Sounds like fun, I hope. The slipping through the small passages makes me think more slug than cat.

I'll keep an eye on this.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
From what I can make out, this hopefully looks to be more of a preconfigured exploratory platformer than a survive-and-hold-down-base-camp kind of deal, because there have been more than enough of the latter floating around recently. I can always do with some good ol' fashioned artsy platforming.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This actually seems like a really fun game, maybe I'll give it shot once it comes out.
Slugcat...now I wonder how they came up with that.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Is this further on now? Sweet. Will have to look at that livestream after I try it myself.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's actually a fan name. There isn't a canonical name, but the devs like Slugcat the most.
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Is this further on now? Sweet. Will have to look at that livestream after I try it myself.
Try what? The game isn't out yet. After the streams over the kickstarter is gonna launch.
Kickstarter's up. Check first post.

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pomfy said:
This actually seems like a really fun game, maybe I'll give it shot once it comes out.
Slugcat...now I wonder how they came up with that.
I ask myself the same thing about practically every animal based game focusing on the 8 - 12 year old audience. (generally).

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:35 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Is that just a general statement or are you implying this game is marketed towards 8 year olds & tweens? O.o

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I don't anymore.
Sword legion said:
I ask myself the same thing about practically every animal based game focusing on the 8 - 12 year old audience. (generally).
Dark games about survival and bring hunted by feral animals are generally for children. I'm an adult and I can say that any game with animals is not for me.

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
He says while working on a game focusing on cats

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM
I don't anymore.
If anything considering how vastly different those two games are that should prove the point. They are two VERY different projects with two very different tones.

Jan 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
the physics based animations in this are amazing! I really like the look of this game. It looks really fun, challenging and addictive ^_^ I can't wait for any demos to be released (if you're planning to release any demos).