Quote's Mind v1.0

May 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been a lurker on these forums for a while and have also been dabbling in mods and making mods, so I decided to hit two birds with one stone by both making an account here and also releasing a WIP mod to the community.

In short, this mod shows some of Quote's thoughts and words when communicating with other characters. For instance, instead of awkward silence when first talking to King, Quote asks "Are you okay?", and after being told that there are only six left, asks "Where did the others go?" As of version 0.1, three areas are done: First Cave, Mimiga Village, and Egg Corridor.

Screenshots are located in the following album: http://imgur.com/a/6SRDE#0
Before I give off the download, I would like to make a small request for any artists out there. If you were to create pictures of Quote with different emotions (scared, happy, surprised, et cetera) and then send the face file to me via message, it would be much obliged. My artistic skills are equivalent to that of a mentally challenged moose, so any of my own attempts would probably be horrible. For reference, the current facepic is a scaled-down version of Quote's facepic from Cave Story+.

v0.1 Download
v0.4 Download
v1.0 Download

Changelog

v0.1: Initial release.
v0.4: Added a large amount of content; fixed some issues. Now starts in windowed by default.
v1.0: Fixed some bugs and finished the entire game.

Please report any bugs, and leave feedback. Thanks in advance.

Known Bugs

• Santa's dialogue is messed up on the first encounter.

May 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Alright! So I played it, here are the problems that I found:
-The first Heart Capsule is missing a <NOD at the end.
-I think 'Ok' is properly spelt 'OK,' or 'Okay.'
-It looks like you put a line break in some of the text a little too soon. Ex:
Untitled_zpse61dfb66.png
-I don't know if you just didn't want to add dialogue to Yamashita Farm and the Assembly Hall or if it was an oversight, but I didn't notice any there.
-The first time I talked to Jack, I noticed something was wrong with the transition of Quote's last line of dialogue.

I think that's it. I liked the dialogue! I kinda hoped for some of the NPC's dialogue to be changed, but for what you have right now it's certainly acceptable. I'm looking forward for future updates.

May 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Posting this to address some things.

First and foremost, I've fixed the errors you described in the dialogue. There shouldn't be anything wrong with Jack's dialogue, the text break was because I didn't know how much text there could be before it cut off, and the Yamashita Farm was indeed an oversight though I didn't do the assembly hall because it didn't seem necessary.

I've also released v0.4. This version adds dialogue from Grasstown to the end of the Waterway, covering both paths (Booster v0.8 or save Curly), so you should get the latest version and try that one out as well. I wasn't able to fully playtest this due to lack of time, so please make sure to post any bugs or issues on the thread. Hope you enjoy the new diaogue.

May 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Well, I'm playing through this and so far, I like the changes you've made. I went through and dug through the files and see that you changed Human Sue's face pic to the Quote one you have. (Now that I think about it, is Human Sue's face pic ever used? Except in Hayden's 4 Endings Mod)
Anyway, as Tp said, there is a little line break error at times. I noticed it for a split second during the Quote and King dialogue. Only played up to beginning of Grasstown, but so far, it looks great. (I think you should change some of the existing dialogue so it flows a bit better.)
*EDIT* Santa's dialogue is still broken, might want to take a look at that.

May 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, I noticed that and it should be fixed, though I'm still working on the next update.

May 14, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
One error I found:
You might be putting messages as <MSG<FAC in some cutscenes. This causes the face shown to quickly swap between the one previously used and a new one. I first saw this problem when talking to King for the first time.

May 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry for the delay on this release. My schoolwork caught up with me. Anyways, I'm releasing v1.0 today! This means that the entire game is now fully voiced/thought out (Sacred Grounds included). Again, I was unable to properly playtest this, so report any issues. If no bugs are encountered, this should be the final release.

May 22, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I like this idea... at one point I'd thought of doing it myself. But these days I hardly have any spare time, so I'm glad someone else got around to it :)

May 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is a very well-done mod, and I really like the work you put into it.

Two problems I noticed, however:
--The conversation with the person in the Grasstown shelter (which we all know is Kazuma) is a little bugged. At one point, the person will give you the Gum Key before you talk to Malco, thinking you already did talk to him.
--Sometimes, Quote's portrait appears when other people are the ones talking. I believe I saw this with Jenka, and Professor Booster at Arthur's house.

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Awesome mod. Can't wait!

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Dropbox seems to be having an error with the v1.0 link. Can you fix that?