Quote's cap

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:08 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I know some of you have speculated about what the writing on Quote's cap is.
Or, to be more precise, what Pixel originally decided the cap says.
If I remember correctly, the last time this was brought up, the general consensus was that he had in fact not thought out any specific words (to let the players imagine what it said themselves, as it were), but later changed his mind and retroactively decided that the writing says "Curly Brace" to fit how the majority of CS fanartists imagine Quote.

So, it might be interesting to note that a couple of these images by Pixel (why hasn't anyone already posted these here?) show Quote with a "Curly Brace" cap.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/rochet/storage/doukutsu03-pictures.zip

The reason it's interesting is that they seem to have been unaltered since 2001 or so, a couple of years before CS was released.

That, or the clock of Pixel's computer is half a decade slow.

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Finally we can put this matter to rest.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hehe, that's good news... but even more interesting are the images themselves! Hehe, I'm a sucker for beta-ish content for games I'm familiar with. It's pretty cool to see what the game looked like way back when (Anyone who's seen Lame Duke or the Doom Alphas will know what I mean. ;P), don'tcha think? Thanks for the linkage, Orfvar!

So, does anyone know Pixel's policy regarding using some of the unfinished sprites and the like? I might re-work a few tiles (especially some of the rocky bakground tiles in some screenshots) for my mod, as long as he wouldn't protest or anything. Hehe, I'm such a leech, aren't I? :p

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Wow, old beta pictures... I've never seen these.
*shuffles through pictures*
This looks like a whole different game. Quote has an ammo gauge?

Is there a place one can still download the betas?

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:19 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Well now, these be some mighty interestin' pictures. It would seem like Cave Story was once quite a different game. And blue Quote! It also looks like Balrog(s) would have played a much larger part in the game too, but got passed up in favour of bats and critters. No wonder it took so long to make, Pixel had obviously toyed with many ideas during its creation process... ah, I guess one can only speculate.

And I too would like to know how the Curly Brace thing got started, mostly because it doesn't make any sense. I mean why would someone say that there's something on a hat when there obviously isn't, let alone something you'd think Curly would kind of notice. Looking at the pictures, maybe it could be an idea Pixel had that he scrapped...? Or else the whole "that's not a language they have on this island" deal... maybe she can't read her own name :p

Also Xaser if Pixel doesn't have a problem with total sprite reworking then I doubt he would mind that. In all honesty I'm not even sure he knows there is such a pro-active CS editing community, or even that this site exits. So yeah I doubt it will be a problem.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
That is so wonderful Orfvar Stöhtkonung, right from the nifty web site by Pixel. I stared at the pictures and really enjoyed seeing them one by one commenting about them (with myself) . I wonder, the stages look way different from the completed Cave Story. It looks like that Pixel ended with deleting his old ideas and then he established and remade new ideas. Also, it looks like that Cave Story was his second life!. When watching at his pictures, I really felt that I came back years ago with Pixel and I watched him doing his CV stuff and drawing his tiles and sprites. Very cool.

Does this not make Pixel to make Cave Story 2? ........... If he wanted to bring his old days back, why not!

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:03 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I am not sure what Pixel meant about the RPG, either he is not going to do it anymore, or he is putting it aside temporarily to work on that music program.

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:23 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yep. I downloaded this package right after it came out on his bulletin board. Very cool stuff!

- keantoken

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
those pictures are quite cool, so the cavestory we see now is a amazing update, quote with red eyes made him look too evil as well o_O"

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:35 AM
Respwnt
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
xristosx said:
those pictures are quite cool, so the cavestory we see now is a amazing update, quote with red eyes made him look too evil as well o_O"
Yeah, like we needed our amnesiatic to believe he's with the Doctor just becase he looked into a darn mirror.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:00 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Atravir said:
[...]
Is there a place one can still download the betas?

They have probably never been up to download at all, ever. And now Pixel isn't very likely to upload something he evidently thought was less good than the current version (Even if he still has those really old versions of CS lying around).

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The BETA looks like a good game in itself, and different enough to want to play.
Wouldn't hurt to ask Pixel right?

I have figured out why the hat reads "Curly Brace", it's because Quote was originally called Curly Brace in the BETA. The image "WinCurly.png" shows a picture of Quote, so does "curly-sleep.png". Obviously some names got shuffled around when Curly(female) was introduced, so Curly(male) became Quote to make way for Curly(female).

The mini-balrogs were used in the place of bats (sc020407.png), so that explains why balrog had bat wings at the end of Cave Story.

Chie and Zett probably had bigger roles in the BETA (sc020218.png) which means that they were put in as a guest appearance from the BETA as well as who knows how many others (Balrog for instance).

Someone please ask Pixel, I am dying to play the 2003 Cave Story BETA.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:41 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
yeah same it looks like a pretty good game even if its 30 mins worth of play XD

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:44 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
S.P. just tried to ask for the BETA on Pixel's BBS.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:38 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
andwhyisit said:
S.P. just tried to ask for the BETA on Pixel's BBS.

:D awesome but like roonil said he probably wont hand it over, i wouldnt want any one to see my work before it was perfected (like cavestory is XD)

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
Good luck to her then... Game makers normally don't entertain such results.
"her" you mean. :D

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Roonil Wazlib said:
him, yeah him. Edit your quote to match my post for the fun.
But then my post makes no sense and neither will yours, or this one if you edit that, AAGH!