Quote's Age and Height

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I have been wondering lately what is Quote's age, witch then got me thinking of his height. So, first I took a look at the end game pictures. From my guess, he is in his early to mid teens, but sadly this doesn't help with his height, so I had to do some math. Since I needed a character to compare Quote to, I needed a realistic person's height. So, I used Momorin's height, if she is the height of the average Japanese woman, then she is 158.8 cm, or about 5' 2.6".

Momorin is 17 pixels tall, so that is 5'2.6" needs to be one number to be able to divide by 17.
So, 5 foot is 60 inches, plus the remaining 2.6 inches.
So, 62.6 divided by 17, witch is about 3.7 inches per pixel.
Quote (and most other characters) is 15 pixels, witch then becomes 15 times 3.7 equals 55.5.
But, 55.5 inches needs to in feet, so that is about 4 feet and 7.5 inches. . .
So, Quote according to my math is about the height of a 10-13 year old, if he was American.
According to a study I found, that was done in 2006, a junior high in first year, is 152.6cm.
152.6 cm is about 60 inches, witch is 5 feet.
So, Quote even if he was a Japanese teen, he would still be short.

So, I want to know your thoughts and different math conversions like if his height was more based on American/Europen.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:43 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I have been wondering lately what is Quote's age, witch then got me thinking of his height. So, first I took a look at the end game pictures. From my guess, he is in his early to mid teens, but sadly this doesn't help with his height, so I had to do some math. Since I needed a character to compare Quote to, I needed a realistic person's height. So, I used Momorin's height, if she is the height of the average Japanese woman, then she is 158.8 cm, or about 5' 2.6".

Momorin is 17 pixels tall, so that is 5'2.6" needs to be one number to be able to divide by 17.
So, 5 foot is 60 inches, plus the remaining 2.6 inches.
So, 62.6 divided by 17, witch is about 3.7 inches per pixel.
Quote (and most other characters) is 15 pixels, witch then becomes 15 times 3.7 equals 55.5.
But, 55.5 inches needs to in feet, so that is about 4 feet and 7.5 inches. . .
So, Quote according to my math is about the height of a 10-13 year old, if he was American.
According to a study I found, that was done in 2006, a junior high in first year, is 152.6cm.
152.6 cm is about 60 inches, witch is 5 feet.
So, Quote even if he was a Japanese teen, he would still be short.

So, I want to know your thoughts and different math conversions like if his height was more based on American/Europen.
he's a robot, and I think his body is downsized a bit. I think he's at least in his 70's

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:08 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
His age is irrelevant is it not? He's a robot. He's immortal as long as he is kept in good shape, so age doesnt really matter. Most likely he's around 10-20 years though, because he came to the island 10(?) years before Cave Story started. In theory, as he is a robot, Quote could have been built the day before he was deployed on the island. So it is unknown when exactly he was built, but he WAS build to stop Miakid, who idk when he came into power, but he was defeated 10 years before Cave Story.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
they are both 0 because robots do not grow

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:11 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Any man made object has its age determined by the number of years since its initial construction was finalised. If you built a cabinet 3 years ago then it is three years old. Robots are not an exception to this.

Quote and Curly can be a minimum of 10 years old (since they were sent on their mission 10 years before the events of CS), but if we drop the assumption that Quote and Curly were made just before that mission then their age could be anything above 10 years.

However I must agree that the notion of measuring their ages from their height is not a viable one.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2015 at 4:18 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
How old is someone whose body is one age, mind a different age (transferred), but a duplicate copy variation of an older original source age?

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:04 AM
Its dark in here
Quote and Curly can be a minimum of 10 years old (since they were sent on their mission 10 years before the events of CS),
I don't think that's cannon... the while the war is no longer than how old the old mimiga in the plantation is, its old enough to the point that the majority of mimiga village didn't know about it, king included, and he seems far older than 10 years

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM
Based Member
I've always looked at the credit art illustrations and been led to believe that Quote and Curly are built to resemble kids between the ages of 9-12 (probably more like 10 or 11). I've never seen eye-to-eye with the people that think that those two look like they're in their teens. But that's all beside the point, because like andwhy said, their build is irrelevant to their age. They could be inhabiting eternally prepubescent bodies but be 80 years old.

Quote and Curly can be a minimum of 10 years old (since they were sent on their mission 10 years before the events of CS),
I don't think that's cannon... the while the war is no longer than how old the old mimiga in the plantation is, its old enough to the point that the majority of mimiga village didn't know about it, king included, and he seems far older than 10 years
It does seem to be quite consistently stated throughout the game that the war took place 10 years prior to the events of Cave Story, so I'd call that cannon. What led you to believe that King doesn't remember the war? When he saw Quote and recognized him as a robot, he seemed to be afraid as if he had faced other killer robots before. Also, given that he seems to be somewhat of a warrior, augmented himself with cooked red flowers, and has that scar on his face, there is evidence to suggest King remembers the war. I think it's kind of grasping at straws to try and say that the war wasn't 10 years ago.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:30 PM
Its dark in here
When he saw Quote and recognized him as a robot, he seemed to be afraid as if he had faced other killer robots before.
he thought he was one of the doctor's minions, everyone except cthulu thought quote was a boy until booster revealed the truth

his scar also probably came from the doctor

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM
Based Member
he thought he was one of the doctor's minions, everyone except cthulu thought quote was a boy until booster revealed the truth
I don't think King specified that he thought Quote was one of the Doctor's minions, it was Toroko who made that mistake. Here's the line spoken by King:
King in the AGTP translation said:
What? You're not an enemy? I thought for sure it was them...
King in the NICALiS translation said:
What? You're not an enemy? I thought you were one of them.

his scar also probably came from the doctor
That can neither be confirmed nor debunked.

It seems that it can neither be confirmed nor debunked for sure whether or not King really remembers the war 10 years ago, but that's not really the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that Booster, Jenka, Curly, and Zett all say that the war was 10 years ago. By saying that's not cannon, are you saying that those characters are all mistaken with how long ago the war was?

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM
Its dark in here
The point I'm trying to make is that Booster, Jenka, Curly, and Zett all say that the war was 10 years ago. By saying that's not cannon, are you saying that those characters are all mistaken with how long ago the war was?
where do they say this?

in jenka's dialogue is the genisus translation she says "It wasn't long ago" but from the perspective of one who lives far longer than humans, that could be much longer than 10 years. Zett says "in the past", looking at curly's dialogue when her memory returns, she doesn't give us a general time frame of which things occured.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2015 at 11:47 PM
Based Member
where do they say this?

in jenka's dialogue is the genisus translation she says "It wasn't long ago" but from the perspective of one who lives far longer than humans, that could be much longer than 10 years. Zett says "in the past", looking at curly's dialogue when her memory returns, she doesn't give us a general time frame of which things occured.
Forgive me for my mistake, Booster is indeed the only one who specifies ten years. I should have double-checked that before making that claim. That doesn't invalidate my point, however. At no point is there any in-game evidence to contradict Booster's statement that the war took place 10 years ago.

Let me rephrase my question: Are you saying Professor Booster was mistaken when he said the war took place 10 years prior to Cave Story?

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM
Its dark in here
Forgive me for my mistake, Booster is indeed the only one who specifies ten years. I should have double-checked that before making that claim. That doesn't invalidate my point, however. At no point is there any in-game evidence to contradict Booster's statement that the war took place 10 years ago.

Let me rephrase my question: Are you saying Professor Booster was mistaken when he said the war took place 10 years prior to Cave Story?
yep, your right.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2015 at 1:10 AM
Based Member
I suppose I can't necessarily prove that Booster wasn't mistaken when he said 10 years, but nothing in the game seems to contradict his statement, so I think it's kind of silly to assume he was innumerate. King's lack of giving personal details about the war doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't around then, all it means is that the game didn't tell us whether or not he remembers the war, and to what extent if so. Also, whether or not King was around during the war is irrelevant to whether or not it was exactly 10 years ago, because we don't know the exact lifespan of a Mimiga.

You claim that King looks older than 10, but how do you know? For all we know, King could be 9 years old during the events of Cave Story, because maybe that's how much Mimigas age after 9 years. Even if we are to assume that Mimigas don't age that fast and King is older than 10, there's still the possibility that he was too young to fully understand what was going on during the war. And of course, there's also the possibility that King is old enough to have been around during the war and understood what was going on, but just didn't talk about it.

I think you're reaching a bit far with the assumptions you're making. Your theory assumes:
1). That professor Booster was mistaken with the number of years since the war.
2). A specific lifespan for Mimigas, despite the fact that no such thing was specified in-game.
3). That Mimigas who don't talk about the war don't remember the war.

Your theory isn't impossible, but the more assumptions you make with your theory, the less likely it is to be true.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:11 AM
Its dark in here
I suppose I can't necessarily prove that Booster wasn't mistaken when he said 10 years, but nothing in the game seems to contradict his statement, so I think it's kind of silly to assume he was innumerate. King's lack of giving personal details about the war doesn't necessarily mean that he wasn't around then, all it means is that the game didn't tell us whether or not he remembers the war, and to what extent if so. Also, whether or not King was around during the war is irrelevant to whether or not it was exactly 10 years ago, because we don't know the exact lifespan of a Mimiga.

You claim that King looks older than 10, but how do you know? For all we know, King could be 9 years old during the events of Cave Story, because maybe that's how much Mimigas age after 9 years. Even if we are to assume that Mimigas don't age that fast and King is older than 10, there's still the possibility that he was too young to fully understand what was going on during the war. And of course, there's also the possibility that King is old enough to have been around during the war and understood what was going on, but just didn't talk about it.

I think you're reaching a bit far with the assumptions you're making. Your theory assumes:
1). That professor Booster was mistaken with the number of years since the war.
2). A specific lifespan for Mimigas, despite the fact that no such thing was specified in-game.
3). That Mimigas who don't talk about the war don't remember the war.

Your theory isn't impossible, but the more assumptions you make with your theory, the less likely it is to be true.
sorry when I said
yep, your right.
I was agreeing that booster did actually say the war was 10 years ago, I wasn't replying to whether or not he was mistaken or not

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM
Based Member
I was agreeing that booster did actually say the war was 10 years ago, I wasn't replying to whether or not he was mistaken or not
So then are you saying that you now agree with me and andwhyisit that the war took place 10 years prior to the events of Cave Story?

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:02 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
His age is irrelevant is it not? He's a robot. He's immortal as long as he is kept in good shape, so age doesnt really matter. Most likely he's around 10-20 years though, because he came to the island 10(?) years before Cave Story started. In theory, as he is a robot, Quote could have been built the day before he was deployed on the island. So it is unknown when exactly he was built, but he WAS build to stop Miakid, who idk when he came into power, but he was defeated 10 years before Cave Story.

First, I mean what age is he built to be, like, do you think mimigas like Santa would be okay with giving some random robot, that could look like a eight year-old, with a gun? Also, about what age he acts, well, we don't really know, in the bad ending, he could just be a kid that is afraid of the responsibility of saving a race, or in the best ending, he could just be a robot that is being commanded by old programming.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:17 AM
Its dark in here
Also, about what age he acts, well, we don't really know, in the bad ending, he could just be a kid that is afraid of the responsibility of saving a race, or in the best ending, he could just be a robot that is being commanded by old programming.
I've said it many times before and I'll say again, qoute's personality and actions are that of the player.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:23 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Bumping an old thread without due acknowledgement