Dec 27, 2016 at 10:11 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Quote FX - Virus Hunter

In the year 2037
Quote and Curly Brace disappeared.
Kazuma, investigating some ruins, found the blueprints of Quote and Curly.
This is how the new generation of robots was born.

Some weeks later...

Mered, was sent to a mission in "New Texilia"
and his brother, Nainto was following the corrupted Curly Robot Model #05 - Anna.

04/12/37 - 03:00 AM

Warning:
Curly Model #05 has escaped from the Kazuma base.
All units, find Anna and annihilate her.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l026uwpyqpatmrt/Quote_FX_English (1).zip?dl=0 (English)

This is the spanish demo, Tlinkan will translate it to english.

Credits:
Kevin - Some tilesets
SuperJaws - Org songs
TLinkan - Translating it to english

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2016 at 8:07 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
My responses are in italics.
-"On the year" Uh, did TLinkan really translate this?
Aren't there stories that start with "On the year?"

-"The most powerful weapon. Made by Kazuma." But, it's just the Polar Star? And Kazuma isn't a gunsmith...??
We don't really know what job he had in Cave Story, either. But hey, who am I to force fact in a spinoff? :^)

-"Use the W key. But I don't think it works here." But it does work when I interact with it in my inventory.
I think he means the W key pressing part. I did tell FireQuote there is an EQ+ for the map, which allows him to use the W key for that. But I guess he hasn't found that yet.

-I kinda wish some of the Quote prototypes looked like Quote form Cave Story's beta.
Some variety in appearances would be nice, yes.

-OK putting an enemy at the bottom of a leap of faith is a bit of a dick move. Also I had no idea that I had the Booster v2.0 until now.
Yeah, I didn't know that was there, either.

-Oh shit, the spikes do actually do damage. 0-o
Wait, are there spikes that didn't? I probably missed something while playing and putting in translations.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:40 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
Aren't there stories that start with "On the year?"
Never heard of one.

That's weird. But eh, we've all probably seen/read stories that the other hasn't read yet.

Wait, are there spikes that didn't? I probably missed something while playing and putting in translations.
No, they just look like decoration. Also you don't take damage from them unless you touch near the top of the spike(?!)

They do look like decoration, now that I see that. And I've had times in this mod where the very bottom of the spike would kill me even though i've done a mini jump.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:19 PM
Hmmmmm...

-"The most powerful weapon. Made by Kazuma." But, it's just the Polar Star? And Kazuma isn't a gunsmith...??
-"Use the W key. But I don't think it works here." But it does work when I interact with it in my inventory.
-The little squares in the weapon energy bar aren't quite evenly sized.
-I'm pretty sure that the weapons are functionally identical? You might wanna change them.
-I porbably will change some things later...
Also i bugged the map xD
-But there's a door here...
-The door doesn't work, i forgot to remove the door :pignon2:
-I kinda wish some of the Quote prototypes looked like Quote form Cave Story's beta.
-Hmmm...Cave Story Beta...I will have that in mind.
"YOU THINK YOU CAN JUST ORDER ME AROUND LIKE THAT" Yes, I do.
-Yes, you can.
-OK putting an enemy at the bottom of a leap of faith is a bit of a dick move. Also I had no idea that I had the Booster v2.0 until now.
-Ok, i will change that.
-Who made this ORG? It's really nice. I suppose it was SuperJaws?
-Yes.
-Hm, so all the ORGs from the original game have been SLIGHTLY changed. But I'd like it more if they were full-blown remixes.
-Later, i will change all the org's but for now i'm using the same songs (I don't make org's xDD)

-Really Tlinkan... :v

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:10 AM
We don't really know what job he had in Cave Story, either.But hey, who am I to force fact in a spinoff?:^)
In Quote FX he is the creator of the "Quote/Curly Robot Models" and yes, he is a gunsmith too in Quote FX (Don't ask)
The first robot that Kazuma made is Falcon (#001)

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:58 AM
I played the demo, but noticed that in the nainto section there was some thing wrong with the blade. When fired up or down, it still displays the king sprite rather than the new sprite you put there.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:22 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
The following spoiler is completely avoidable as it was written before playing the mod:
Me, being a huge fan of all things digital (EX. certain cats, Digimon, etc.), decided to play this because "Virus Hunters" sounded like a cool, uh, thing, that involved, well, hunting viruses on presumably the internet, in robots, etc., in a sort of digital plain of existence involving robots or digital creatures (Again, Digimon is a key part of me playing this, even though it most likely has NOTHING to do with this mod. I just like the name), killing/battling said robots/digital creatures in a strategic format that involved strategy and things but IDK what I'm saying so you should completely ignore this part of the post. On to me actually playing...

This had better be windowed...

Gameplay notesss:
1. YES! It's windowed! This is off to a good start. +1 point.
2. I don't like the disgusting green basic Quote icon but I'll deal with it... No points off.
3. LOVE the colorful intro before the title screen. I like the new map tiles and things. +2 points for reminding me of Wind Fortress and that is the best bonus level!!!
4. Title screen is great! Not so sure about the character sprite. Looks... Odd... +1 point.
5. "O n t h e y e a r" uh excuse me but what? -1 point for bad translation.
6. And, oh! Look at that. In the opening sentence is 4 LINES without a <NOD. This should really be fixed, as I nearly missed the "On the year" line. -1 point.
7. +1 point for rhyming in the first sentence thing.
8. HOLY CARP! ANOTHER RHYME. I AM LIKING THIS. +1 point.
9. -1 point for no rhyme during "the blueprints for Quote and Curly".
10. The "Sound Only" Picture hurts my eyes because it's not perfectly placed in the facepic box thing. It's not exactly 48x48. It's too tall. -1 point.
11. I like custom ORG. +1.
12. Blue Quote OC (Buote?) attacks me with no warning. -1.
13. Nice Polar Star Clone. -1.
14. I a having issues with the facepic. The art style for Pruote's (I'm calling him that because I forgot his name and he looks like Proto Man) hat looks different than his face, which is a common problem in lots of mods. Even my own old mods had art style mixing. I'd recommend either completely drawing the facepics and borrowing nothing from CS, or get to know the CS art style better. No points off, but you should try and get better.
15. Same sorta thing happens with his mouth, and I can barely see it. If not for the weirdly placed outlines, I would have thought it was a highlight on his face. No point deduction.
16. Again, as zxin pointed out, map works in inventory, so W is not needed. It just makes accessing the map a pain. -1.
17. +5 for custom tileset. Really good.
18. Again, more robots attacking me with no warning. I'm just going to attack everything from now won before getting near.
19. Why is Curly in a trashbin? -1 for bad design IMO.
20. I can easily jump over the Curly OCs and avoid everything else. In Grasstown, the walls were low, so you had to quickly, shoot, wait for the shot to get close, and swiftly jump over it, as it was hard to get past it any other way without damage. Here I can just jump over them. No points taken off, but I recommend watching some Extra Credits on Youtube about good game design.
21. If the enemies aren't taken out one at a time (too time consuming), they conglomerate into a giant mass of death and kill me whenever I try to go anywhere. -1.
great.PNG
I LOVE the design right here. Now, the Curly OC (Naming it Burly. Bin Curly?) is NOT avoidable, AND you have to deal with another enemy. If you miss the enemy, you may hit Burly, making her shoot you. So you have to be VERY strategic and think about how to do this. +4 points.
23. -2 points for the fact that after killing the orange guy (Ouote I'll name him), killing Burly is a breeze, and takes WAY too long.
24. More art style mixing in facepics. Balrog Curly looks weird compared to Kazuma. Still OK, but should be fixed.
25. Easily rushed past every enemy. Jump over Ouotes, go under big Quotes (calling them Floats. IDK), get hit by Ouote in tiny hallway with the Burly, and rush past everything in invincible mode, then continue previous strategy. -2.
26. Balrog Curly boss is too OP. First, whenever I die, I start BACK AT THE SAVEPOINT, so I have to view a cutscene, whoosh past enemies, go through another cutscene, and fight Balrog Curly with 4 HP. -5. At least make a save before the fight.
27. After literally hacking the game to give me 1007 (IDK why that specific number) health, I made it through.
28. You SERIOUSLY need to nerf Balrog Curly. IF IT LANDS ON YOU, IT'S 10 DAMAGE. That automatically kills you. That is bad. Make it something like 5, and have the energy ball things do 1.
29. The OP character swap is good because now it doesn't feel like I'm speed-running CS Hard Mode on the Wii/3DS/CS+. +3 for fixing what was broken.
30. After finding brown haired girl I can easily boost over Burly.
31. Those spikes damage me. THOSE DO NOT LOOK LIKE SPIKES. They look like triagonal walls. -1.
32. Easily gets through enemy hell section because of hacked HP
33. I like the Geothermal remix. +2.
34. Oh I have a blade clone too. I probably will never use that because of OP Machine Gun. +1 for the thought.
35. The map is confusing and the map system is a pain to use. -1.

Results:
BONUSES: Art bonus: +10, First Mod Bonus: +10, Music Bonus: +5.
FINAL SCORE: 28/35 possible.
I came here for Digimon/Megaman, got Megaman, was not disappointed, loved the art and remixes, found NO bugs, and got a good story. The only problems I found were with the level design and the insane difficulty. This is not a bad mod, far from it. It's actually very well done and could compete with some of the best if the problems are fixed. If I sounded insulting or harsh at all in this review, I did not mean to discourage you. I hope you continue modding and make your mods even better.

I liked this mod. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM
For Shadowblade:

I haven't finished it.

For TheVirtualBoy

It's my first mod, and the translation was made by Tlinkan.
And Burly, was called Curly Blaster.
That big Quote is called Commando Quote
and other names, but i still need ideas for enemies and names.

I haven't finished the Virus Hunter part (Don't ask)

Yes, i will fix some things, thanks for saying what's wrong with the mod.

Jan 7, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Soup Man
For TheVirtualBoy

It's my first mod, and the translation was made by Tlinkan.
And Burly, was called Curly Blaster.
That big Quote is called Commando Quote
and other names, but i still need ideas for enemies and names.

I haven't finished the Virus Hunter part (Don't ask)

Yes, i will fix some things, thanks for saying what's wrong with the mod.

OK. Sorry if I sounded rude in the review. Rereading it, I did sound a bit harsh, but I actually enjoyed the mod very much. I am looking forward to the next demo.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:11 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
This is an excellent example of someone who took time to learn how to actually mod and test TSC before they started working on it. There are people who have made several mods already and they don't hold a candle to this. I'm duly impressed especially since it's a beginner's mod.

It was super weird hearing some of my really old music though, especially since the mod used it exclusively (not that I mind, it actually feels really good to have someone like it enough to use it). I honestly think you should replace any of the remixes from the Cave Story Remix Project, they suck. On the other hand, I'd also prefer if you didn't use anything from Cave Story: Revival yet, I have plans for those. Feel free to take anything else you want from my ORG Archive however.

The art is amazing. The first player character's face when she was like "we're all gonna die" is priceless, it reminds me of Anais' "I'm disappointed in you" face (The Amazing World of Gumball). You're very good at capturing specific emotions. The tile and sprite work is also excellent.

Map design is not awful, story is a bit hard to follow but alright. All in all I enjoyed playing this.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2017 at 9:38 PM
This is an excellent example of someone who took time to learn how to actually mod and test TSC before they started working on it. There are people who have made several mods already and they don't hold a candle to this. I'm duly impressed especially since it's a beginner's mod.

It was super weird hearing some of my really old music though, especially since the mod used it exclusively (not that I mind, it actually feels really good to have someone like it enough to use it). I honestly think you should replace any of the remixes from the Cave Story Remix Project, they suck. On the other hand, I'd also prefer if you didn't use anything from Cave Story: Revival yet, I have plans for those. Feel free to take anything else you want from my ORG Archive however.

The art is amazing. The first player character's face when she was like "we're all gonna die" is priceless, it reminds me of Anais' "I'm disappointed in you" face (The Amazing World of Gumball). You're very good at capturing specific emotions. The tile and sprite work is also excellent.

Map design is not awful, story is a bit hard to follow but alright. All in all I enjoyed playing this.

I will change some org's, i'm working with 2dbro right now...
The first player character's face when she was like "we're all gonna die"
Oh wait, she...?! But...Mered is male...wtf dude

And about the virus hunter part...I will launch the final demo soon.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:45 AM

I will change some org's, i'm working with 2dbro right now...

Oh wait, she...?! But...Mered is male...wtf dude

And about the virus hunter part...I will launch the final demo soon.

Oh... well that's what I get for assuming gender. I thought Mered was a female name... in fact it is. Just not in the real world. It was a name in Skyrim or Oblivion, I don't remember which.

I need to get out more.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM
Oh... well that's what I get for assuming gender. I thought Mered was a female name... in fact it is. Just not in the real world. It was a name in Skyrim or Oblivion, I don't remember which.

I need to get out more.

Lol, i think that i created the name, whatever. I need to go outside too.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:36 PM
Soup Man

I need to get out more.
Couldn't you tell from his facepic he was male? Isn't it just Quote with a Megaman Zero helmet strapped on? Even if the name is female, the character looks and acts like a male. Oh, what do I know? I'm over here arguing about a fictional character's gender, who probably shouldn't even have one, since they're (quite possibly) a robot.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Couldn't you tell from his facepic he was male? Isn't it just Quote with a Megaman Zero helmet strapped on? Even if the name is female, the character looks and acts like a male. Oh, what do I know? I'm over here arguing about a fictional character's gender, who probably shouldn't even have one, since they're (quite possibly) a robot.

I didn't think the character looked/acted specifically male. Then again, I don't really spend hours deliberating the gender of characters in video games.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM
Demo 3 is still wip, but i'll leave here some images of the progress and maybe demos of Quote FX
changelog:
-Fixed the door in the first section
-Fixed the map item script
-Nainto's part less difficult
-Spike tile changed
-Added more tiles to Nainto's base and Mered's Ship
-BaLroG Machine Prototype. - 001 More detailed
-Added more org songs

Work in progress :
p357590-0-full.png

Creator : ZETA
Name : RAY
Level H.Train

Also, added more sense to the crash part after Ana's fight.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
is this the same mod as the one you had before? you shouldn't make a new thread if you're just updating existing content

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Oh okay, sorry.
The next time i'll use the same post for a mod.