Quote and Curly Have "Souls"

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:11 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
SuperJaws100 said:
As such, MALCO has a soul. Or at least, he does after he is hit on the head.
I heard he makes tea, which goes best with soul food.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
SuperJaws100 said:
I think MALCO has a soul. I define a soul as giving these qualities:
  • Conscience/morals.
Are you saying that anyone that doesn't fall into your definition of morality has no soul? That's bullshit. Everyone's definition of morality is fundamentally different.

SuperJaws100 said:
  • Wisdom- the ability to clarify without a doubt between right and wrong.
Isn't that just an extension of morality?

SuperJaws100 said:
  • Love for other beings that is not instinctual, like an animal's relationships.
We are not the only species to have a mating pair for life. So I doubt that love is a human-only quality.

SuperJaws100 said:
  • Self-awareness as well as awareness for others.
A large number of animals have this.

SuperJaws100 said:
A large number of animals have this.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
What you need for a "soul" would be:

-Sentient
-Real compassion (not programmed to be)
-Capable of feeling REAL emotion (also not pre preprogrammed.)

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:58 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
funwillfunwill said:
-Capable of feeling REAL emotion (also not pre preprogrammed.)
Can you define "real compassion" in a meaningful way, besides "not programmed"? Like in an observable way, rather than how said compassion/emotion is generated within.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:19 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
funwillfunwill said:
How would you define "real" or "programmed"? A human brain can be defined as "programmed" - it's just a bunch of cells interacting with each other. An AI simulation would technically be just as real as a brain.

The term "soul" is just too vague. A better question would be "Are Quote/Curly Conscious"?

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Everyone's notions of what a soul is seems to be vague, generalised, and varied. Personally I don't see this ever getting anywhere.

Anuken said:
A human brain can be defined as "programmed" - it's just a bunch of cells interacting with each other. An AI simulation would technically be just as real as a brain.
A true AI can produce actions that are not directly programmed into it was the point he was making. Same can be said of the brain. The brain contains directly programmed actions (instinct) but it can produce actions that are not directly programmed into it.

Anuken said:
The term "soul" is just too vague. A better question would be "Are Quote/Curly Conscious"?
Better question: "Are Quote/Curly Self-Aware"?

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
andwhyisit said:
"Are Quote/Curly Self-Aware"?
Yes, that's probably clearer. Consciousness is a pretty broad term..

Another question: Do Quote/Curly have free will?

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:28 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
If they can have sex (lots of sex) they have souls.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:34 AM
War criminal
If they can have sex, Quote's soul will have been stolen by Curly's.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:38 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Anuken said:
Yes, that's probably clearer. Consciousness is a pretty broad term..

Another question: Do Quote/Curly have free will?
Qoute has a bendable will while curly follows a clear script

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Alright, moving beyond that subject.
I do believe Quote and Curly have "Souls", or are at least self aware of their surroundings and present situation. As Zett said, there were robots sent in the past that seemed to possess souls. These robots were the ones that seemed to realize the situation at hand; that they were killing innocent creatures in search of something. I believe that even though it was against their programming, they were able to override it.
Long theory inside:
Referring back to Quote and Curly specifically, they both suffered from amnesia. In a situation like that, the only thing they can do, is wander and hope that something or someone strikes as "familiar". Although it is uncertain if Curly actually killed the Colon's parents, she felt obligated to watch over them, as she was aware that other robots wanted to kill them. She already states that they were different, as they were to destroy the evil power of the island, (which is the Demon Crown) not do whatever it takes to get it. Perhaps she took care of the Colons in order to make amends?

There is very little evidence that Quote actually possesses a "soul", but it is implied after you go through the game. Up until the Labyrinth, you go through helping the various people around town. (Getting Toroko's lost pendant, finding Sue for King and Jack, Rescuing Kazuma) This could be seen as a "soul", as he understands how important an objective is, and does it. Another possible part, is returning the Little Man home or saving Curly completely (Memory + not leaving her behind).
Wow, I really suck at theories at half past midnight...

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Oh, wow, I missed like a relative thousand new threads yesterday :pignon2:

Anyway, the term "soul" means different things to different people. It's a broad and vague concept. This post won't be going into whether animals have souls or what to define a soul as, because I don't know myself and I'm not going to pretend that I do. However, if the technology of their time had advanced to the point that human brains could be completely and faithfully reproduced in one way or another and they were made with that capability, then that would essentially make them human in every way besides the physical aspects (though Quote and Curly's designers clearly tried their best in that regard). With technology that advanced, I don't think it would be too unreasonable to be able to manufacture a sentient creature with a mind - and since most people define humans as having souls because we like to be the special snowflake species, I guess that means that the two robots would have souls as well.

Of course, that's assuming their technology is really that good, and that there's nothing else that gets in the way that I wouldn't know of, and probably a bunch of other thingies. That's as far as I can speculate - the rest is up to personal definition, unknown variables, and semantics.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well not a single person in CS has free will since they are all part of a computer game. ;P

Polaris said:
because we like to be the special snowflake species
*sigh* Indeed.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Goerge Bobicles said:
Well not a single person in CS has free will since they are all part of a computer game.
Goerge Bobicles said:
Qoute has a bendable will while curly follows a clear script
Well even in this scenario, Quote doesn't have a free will, since his will is overridden by the player's will.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:48 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
There is no true definition of soul. Many say that you have to be intelligent for one, but also have emotions. Well, while people are technically preprogrammed with emotions, they are obviously not simulated. If a robot were to gain full intelligence, most likely they would end up without emotions, like Shodan. And another question: what about psychopaths? They lack full emotions, but are obviously people. Would you consider a Vulcan to have a soul?

So the more appropriate question is "Do Quote and Curly Have human Like Souls?"

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:05 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Well even in this scenario, Quote doesn't have a free will, since his will is overridden by the player's will.
you forget, Qoute is the player.
funwillfunwill said:
There is no true definition of soul. Many say that you have to be intelligent for one, but also have emotions. Well, while people are technically preprogrammed with emotions, they are obviously not simulated. If a robot were to gain full intelligence, most likely they would end up without emotions, like Shodan. And another question: what about psychopaths? They lack full emotions, but are obviously people. Would you consider a Vulcan to have a soul?
So the more appropriate question is "Do Quote and Curly Have human Like Souls?"
I think I'm as tired as anyone is with the excuse that we don't want to have a set definition of words, so here is what Oxforddictionaries.com(its not the oed, but it works pretty well) definition says "The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal."

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:31 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Goerge Bobicles said:
I think I'm as tired as anyone is with the excuse that we don't want to have a set definition of words, so here is what Oxforddictionaries.com(its not the oed, but it works pretty well) definition says "The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal."
Yes.. but you must realise how vague that is, and how useless it is for the purpose of this discussion.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Maybe Quote and Curly are actually half-human?
Robotic on the outside, flesh on the inside? (And a brain inside those heads? )

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The term for that is cyborg.