Quote and Curly are Ness and Paula

Oct 4, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello I'm kinda new here... I would like to start off by posting a theory I made.
Ness and Paula Polestar(from Earthbound) are Quote and Curly Brace
Here's some points that would prove my theory
1. Quote and Ness don't talk much(only options of yes or no)
2. Quote and Ness have a similar expression
3. Quote and Ness both wear baseball caps and have black hair
4. Paula and Curly have blonde hair
5. Paula and Curly are helped in situations that boosts Ness/Quote's relationships with them(Paula being imprisoned, Curly being drowned)
6. Paula and Curly have last names while Ness and Quote are unknown
7. Ness and Paula became robots to fight Giygas in which Quote and Curly are robots made and sent to destroy the Demon Crown
8. Quote and Curly have emotions in which robots cannot harness. (Note that Ness and Paula also have feelings and love for other people that they sacrificed themselves to fight Giygas and their souls transferred to robotic bodies)
(You may all complain why Ness and Paula's robot forms can use PSI but I possibly think their new robotic bodies cannot use them and they must rely on guns)
How they have been here?
An evil thing(The Devil Crown) has risen conflicts in another timeline and Dr. Andonuts informs Ness and Paula to end it and upgrades/changes Ness and Paula's robotic bodies to endure more damage(and to look like them). As they fought through the Crown, they were severely damaged and deactivated for 10 years(If the timeline is 1994, the release year of Earthbound, that means they woke up in 2004, Cave Story's release) which possibly support that their memories(Ness and Paula's adventures and identities) were wiped out but only their purpose on the island
Conclusion: Possibly, Quote and Curly are former humans turned into robots to stop evil from another timeline via Dr Andonuts' time machine.

Attachments

• IMG_20170907_205507.jpg
    IMG_20170907_205507.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170907_205443.jpg
    IMG_20170907_205443.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Adobe_20170912_194857.jpg
    Adobe_20170912_194857.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 12:12 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I half-expected this to be a "Sans is Ness" meme.
edit: nice images

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I've always thought Quote and Curly were actually Lapis and Lazuli, better known as Androids 17 and 18, from the Dragon Ball franchise. But boy, now I see a new light in their true identities!

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:34 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Damn. That actually works. One of the things that confuses Misery about Quote is his ability to care for the life of the others on the island. Pixel apparently liked Undertale as in one of the interviews on this site he says he hopes it can be translated to japanese soon. So there's a good chance he likes the Mother series too.

Maybe this was done on purpose, maybe it's all just a coincidence. But sometimes people subconsciously make things similar to things they like, so it could also just be that.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:14 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
mckgamer there is already a Japanese translation.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:15 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I can see this totally being a thing. I see some ideas from the Mother series definitely be used in Cave Story. Pixel said he was inspired by the metroidvania genre, but it's not too hard to believe he got some jrpg/rpg ideas too.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:11 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
there wasn't at the time of the interview.
I wonder what it would be like if Pixel had that interview after a translation. It'd be interesting to see how Pixel's ideas from Cave Story transferred to Undertale and how he perceives them.

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:07 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Valid connections you pointed out, but I don't think they were intentional.