Mar 28, 2021 at 8:14 PM
"Huzzah!"
How do you change the player sprite to the laying down sprite?

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:38 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
How do you change the player sprite to the laying down sprite?
It technically isn't the player object that switches to a sprite of lying down, but instead, in these cutscenes, it knows roughly where the player will be, and so has an invisible entity ready in that position, and then when the time comes in the cutscene, it uses the "<HMC" (hide my character) command, and then changes that invisible entity into an NPC of type Quote, and then animates it to lie down. Open up room 060, "Teleporter" in CE or BL. Notice that right on top of the teleporter, there's another NPC with event #260, which is currently an empty entity. In the cutscene when the Droll jumps on top of Quote, here's the code that executes:
Code:
<CNP0260:0150:0000<HMC
<ANP0260:0010:0000
That <CNP command changes the NPC to be Quote, then the <HMC hides the player object, and then the <ANP command is the command you're looking for, that's the one that makes Quote lie down on the ground. It makes Quote do animation 10, which is lying on the ground.

Something similar is done in the cutscene for Balrog pouncing on you in the Sand Zone, although that one is a little bit more elaborate.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 10:47 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
how do you change max amount of bullets on screen for any weapon?

is there an easy way to do it in boosters lab

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:33 AM
War criminal
is there an easy way to do it in boosters lab
Afaik, yes and no. There is one hack, but it's very limited, and it's aimed at more specific weapons and bullets spawned by entities.
p375451-0-798alq.png

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:30 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Afaik, yes and no. There is one hack, but it's very limited, and it's aimed at more specific weapons and bullets spawned by entities.

Unless I'm somehow mistaken im pretty sure the weapon specific hacks have max on-screen properties?
p375452-0-snnxmh2.png

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
How do I change the game's icon to a custom one, I've been trying different ways to do it and they won't work.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM
Unless I'm somehow mistaken im pretty sure the weapon specific hacks have max on-screen properties?
p375452-0-snnxmh2.png
i dont see any custom/vanilla editting folder or properties/sfx for these bullets

Edit: just got a new version of boosters lab and these options now show

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM
War criminal
p375452-0-snnxmh2.png
How did i miss that? I looked in those subfolders, too! :balrog:

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:54 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
How do I change the game's icon to a custom one, I've been trying different ways to do it and they won't work.
Convert a .png to a .ico (you can do this online) and then use a program called "Resource Hacker".

Apr 7, 2021 at 12:43 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Ok I Have made the .ico and it worked, thanks.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:57 PM
am i able to have over 100 maps

i thought i read somewhere that that breaks the game but idk if that was ever true

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:12 PM
War criminal
am i able to have over 100 maps

i thought i read somewhere that that breaks the game but idk if that was ever true
You are. Just don't use Cave Editor.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:02 PM
"Huzzah!"
I'm trying to have a door that leads to a map but when the event occurs, it gives me this error:
1618178491829.png
Here's the code in the event:
<PRI<CNP0100:0000:0000<SOU0011<FAO0001<TRA0011:0094:0027:0056

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:46 AM
Based Member
I'm guessing that the error lies in your <TRA command. I actually tried running your script segment, and it worked okay for me. My guess is that somehow event #94 that gets executed when you transition to map #11 either doesn't exist, or has some error with it. Either that, or in that event or code that gets executed, it's trying to load some image that's corrupted or run some command that's corrupted. Maybe it would help if you share with us your script from room #11 in your mod, especially event #94.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:50 AM
"Huzzah!"
I'm guessing that the error lies in your <TRA command. I actually tried running your script segment, and it worked okay for me. My guess is that somehow event #94 that gets executed when you transition to map #11 either doesn't exist, or has some error with it. Either that, or in that event or code that gets executed, it's trying to load some image that's corrupted or run some command that's corrupted. Maybe it would help if you share with us your script from room #11 in your mod, especially event #94.
I fixed the problem, apparently the tileset I was using was corrupted, so I resaved the file and it fixed it.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:13 AM
War criminal
In case you come across similar messages, I recommend using the Errors hack in the Hackinator, it helps translate the error messages to English. Disregard this if it was already suggested, however.
p375479-0-647rrx.png

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:22 PM
"Huzzah!"
How exactly do you get the Curly AI to follow you around like in the Labyrinth?

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:34 PM
War criminal
How exactly do you get the Curly AI to follow you around like in the Labyrinth?
Looking in the vanilla TSC, looks like you can just give it an event number and use <ANPXXXX:0020:0000.

Jun 16, 2021 at 7:29 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
How do you change the font in cave story?

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:19 PM
Based Member
How do you change the font in cave story?
The font is stored in "Config.dat".

The quickest way to change the font is to directly open up Config.dat in a hex editor, and change "Courier New" to whatever font you want. Some fonts seem to work, and others don't seem to work for me, for reasons I don't fully understand. Might have to do with my local system settings and what fonts are embedded in my OS. "Arial" and "Papyrus" are working fine for me, but for some reason, "Comic Sans" doesn't seem to work. If you want a quicker solution, you can use FontConfigEdit, by Mint. Just place the exe in the same folder as your Cave Story game, run it, and type in the name of the font you want to use.

Ultimately, the best solution is to change the font in DouConfig.exe. The reason for this is that every time you click "OK" in DouConfig, it regenerates the "Config.dat" file, and by default it's only going to set the font to Courier New. So for a better solution, open up DouConfig with a hex editor, and change "Courier New" to your desired font at offset 0xBCE0. This will make it always save the settings with your desired font.

Another thing I should note is that even if you get the custom font showing up, it might look a little wonky. The Cave Story typer was originally designed for a font more like Courier New, so anything with characters that look much different in shape may be warped. Papyrus, for example, looks pretty bad in the game, even though it technically works.

Last edited: