Nov 1, 2019 at 5:51 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
In BL, the options to change tileset, npc and background prefixes don't work, it is just a placeholder?

Nov 1, 2019 at 9:47 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
(can't make a game without code after all)
I should probably clear that up, no code is required to work on the scripts for Cave Story (this isn't Game Maker, lol). Instead, you just have to use text script commands (or TSC), in order to set up event flags and actions.

However, if you want custom TSC, custom entities, HUD changes, or anything over the top, you can open up the executable through OllyDbg and apply assembly hacks in x86 (or if you're using CSE2 and you have knowledge in the C language, then you actually do have to code new files through MinGW).

Nov 2, 2019 at 8:48 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Actually I use Booster's Lab, should have clarified that. I know how to access the scripts/entities but not how to program them properly.
To put it simply, vanilla modding is a lot of working with a bunch of pre-programmed entities and commands, entities will (often) behave the way they should when put in the map and tsc commands run whatever they are made to do when their events are called (which is usually done through setting event ids and other flags such as interactible on entities).
If you need a more detailed explanation and help getting into it feel free to ask me i guess, i like explaining this kinda stuff.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:39 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
In BL, the options to change tileset, npc and background prefixes don't work, it is just a placeholder?
It works fine on mine, maybe yours is broken?
I should probably clear that up, no code is required to work on the scripts for Cave Story (this isn't Game Maker, lol). Instead, you just have to use text script commands (or TSC), in order to set up event flags and actions.

However, if you want custom TSC, custom entities, HUD changes, or anything over the top, you can open up the executable through OllyDbg and apply assembly hacks in x86 (or if you're using CSE2 and you have knowledge in the C language, then you actually do have to code new files through MinGW).
Problem is putting these commands in the right order, and figuring out what they actually do. I won't be using assembly hacks because I'm starting out and I don't have the skill for it yet.

To put it simply, vanilla modding is a lot of working with a bunch of pre-programmed entities and commands, entities will (often) behave the way they should when put in the map and tsc commands run whatever they are made to do when their events are called (which is usually done through setting event ids and other flags such as interactible on entities).
If you need a more detailed explanation and help getting into it feel free to ask me i guess, i like explaining this kinda stuff.
Okay, so it's not as difficult as first thought. It's just a matter of understanding what these commands/entities actually do and them implementing them. Then I also have to learn how flags work. I'd be sure to ask you Mint (and you'll even be credited in the mod's ReadMe file).

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:41 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Nov 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM
Those options have had dubious functionality since post-0.5.0.0. (i.e. have been broken for fucking ages) I'd suggest trying to edit them in 0.5.0.0 and seeing if they function correctly there. Also, do you really need to modify them? It might be a pain in the arse.
That said, I've never used the option myself, so it may be that you have to change the values in the exe manually ...
Essentially: Experiment to see what versions work and how they work.
Ok, I'll try not to mess with this stuff anymore, I don't need it that much.
Another thing, where the orange smoke in NpcSym is loaded? Super missiles launcher I guess?

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:59 PM
War criminal
Those options have had dubious functionality since post-0.5.0.0. (i.e. have been broken for fucking ages)
Aka when will Noxid or Leo ever fix their shit? Broken tutorial guides if you're on w7, executable corruption if you delete all rooms, etc.
Another thing, where the orange smoke in NpcSym is loaded? Super missiles launcher I guess?
They're for those meteors the Undead Core spits out

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:01 PM
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:02 PM
War criminal
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:08 PM
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:16 PM
Super Missile explosions.
Thank You.

The missiles that enemies drop can replenish any gun ammunition or just the missile launcher?

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:19 PM
Only the missile launchers.
Well, auto-charge is the solution then. Thanks

The dropped missiles only appear when you get the missile launcher specifically, there's a flag that makes them appear, or am I missing something?

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:11 AM
This checks every weapon slot for weapons ID 5 and 10 (the Missile Launcher and the Super Missile Launcher). If it cannot find any, it immediately ends the function and returns false (which is used to tell the game to spawn XP instead, kinda debunking the myth that missile pickups replace health pickup spawns), otherwise it spawns the missiles and returns true.
Interesting, thanks for the answer, and the code.
Now, when you have the turbocharge equipped it will work for any gun or just the machine gun?
(Or any gun with auto charging?)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 2:32 PM
War criminal
Interesting, thanks for the answer, and the code.
Now, when you have the turbocharge equipped it will work for any gun or just the machine gun?
(Or any gun with auto charging?)
It works on Machine Gun, and surprisingly the Spur. Equipping the Turbocharge with the Spur makes it charge up just a little bit faster.