Sep 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM
inside is yello
"..."
Sorry for not knowing what I'm doing, but how do you make the backgrounds move? (As with the Balcony and the Outer Wall)

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You change the background scroll type in Map Properties.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
2 questions.

How can I make the Polar star or any other weapon like it regenerate ammo like the machine gun? Is there a hex address for it?

And

When I set the penetration power for a weapon in the hex editor, it just hits the same enemy two times. How can I make it go through every enemy once?

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:51 PM
Been here way too long...
You need to learn assembly for either of those things.
There are guides aplenty scattered around this forum.

Remember though, assembly is hard. Hard to use and hard to learn. If you don't want to make an effort towards learning it, then just stick with the normal weapons.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
What he said, pretty much. Though I would add that a "cheap" way to do the 2nd thing would be to give the weapon's projectile a rather high speed, so it's unlikely to spend multiple frames colliding with a single enemy.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh, that sounds good. First one didn't really matter too much to me.

Do you know what the addresses are for bullet speed? (wasn't in the weapon hacking FAQ)

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
BluBlaze said:
Oh, that sounds good. First one didn't really matter too much to me.

Do you know what the addresses are for bullet speed? (wasn't in the weapon hacking FAQ)

They are [E_X+18] and [E_X+1C], assuming you've stored [EBP+8] to E_X, whatever E_X may be.

For example:

;This is kinda slow
MOV DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+18], 200

;This is faster
MOV DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+18], 1200

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM
That is, they also require assembly!

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:40 AM
Professional Whatever
(Regarding yanggang)
I wonder how many of those actually show up on the forums. I only see one every so often from email notifications. I really hope those people get banned, at least.

(For anyone who didn't see, it was a troll post that was deleted, if my forum knowledge is correct.)

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:00 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why on earth are you going on about this, and here of all places

they're SPAMBOTS. Automated scripts or whatever that can register an account on a forum, and make posts on random threads with phrases stolen from around the nets, loaded balls-deep with links to sites that want to either sell stuff or install malware on you or both.

We used to have a rule expressly forbidding replying to spambot posts but it seems to have disappeared so I'm just going to tell you not to do it. We will clean them up and your job is to act like they never existed.

If you have more questions about the mysteries of spambots then send me a VM. Otherwise, the next post had best be a question or answer of the hacking/modding variety.

[/raeg]

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:18 AM
On the lowest level on which I need concern myself, how are blits rendered (particularly in DirectDraw or OpenGL), and how do I make something in my own image format renderable as a blit?

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM
Anybody?
I'm primarily concerned with making the computer think my format is a blit.

Haaaaaaaaaalp

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Trying to make a boss battle for my CS mod. I set up the boss but when you beat it it just keeps going and doesn't do the death animation.

Here is my script that should run on the boss death. Boss event is 250 and 50 is the death animation. Anything wrong with this?

<FOM0016
<ANP0250:0050:0000
<END

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Please use the sticky for questions as opposed to making a new thread for every one

It's been a while but I believe your entity needs flag 0x200 to run script on death.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:21 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sorry about that, im a little new here.

But that's weird because i do have flag 200 on. If I have any other flags on it will it be affected?

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:05 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lace said:
That is, they also require assembly!

It doesn't count as assembly if you're only changing a constant.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Oct 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I know it's said a 1000x, but that's why it's so scattered I cannot really find it. Let my apology of asking this will be that I will now decided to make a mod:

What crashes a mod? A mod made in Sue's Workshop and opened later with Cave Editor, or vica versa?

I'd like to use Sue's Workshop because it has the instant testing button, and later add custom backgrounds with CE.

PS. CE needs that button. If I get bored with modding I'll just switch to playing :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cave Editor has provisions to "fix" an executable that has been modified by Sue's Workshop. Sue's, being the corruptive element, messes up the executable if it differs even slightly from what it expects. Thus, you can go from Sue's to CE (in theory) but if you go from CE to Sue's it'll probably ruin it. It all has to do with how the map data is interpreted and how each handles adding extra maps.

And CE doesn't have the run button because it's not that hard to just leave the game folder open in a seperate window and run it yourself. Or if you're just editing map and script (and not adding maps or changing their properties), you can just leave the game running.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:25 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Lace said:
Sure it does.

Changing a constant is simple hex editing; you don't need to know assembly in order to do that.