Apr 24, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Editable Cavestory

:awesomeface: I am so tired of downloading different versions of Cavestory hacks and lol at them, but here is the thing i don't get: When you download the cavestory and use the translation patch, and then you run it in Editor0.99c, the game won't let you edit anything-at all.

So instead of doing it myself, I'm asking you guys.

Can you at least try to make an editable cavestory-Regular,no changes what so ever, just have it editable.

Can you please make this happen?

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Protip: Make sure your files aren't set to read-only. The regular cave story *is* editable, and rather easily so.

I'm going to merge this with the Quick Answers thread now.
Please ask any further questions there.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Still, my question goes un answered. But thanks for trying to help.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
-Right click on the doukutsu folder.
-Properties
-Uncheck read-only.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM
Been here way too long...
Give us some symptoms, but I do believe it is what ollie and noxid pointed out.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Random (and possibly stupid) Question:

How often do the timers run?
Code:
0049e46C Timer1000Time [Final Time the 1000 timer took to complete.]
0049e470 Timer1000Elapsed [Time elapsed during the 1000 tick counter's countdown.]
0049e474 Timer1000Ticks [Timer updated every 1000 ticks.]

Been pondering how best to do chain-destructable-blocks (ala my fire blocks) without having to use TSC.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured out how to do it without dealing with timers.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Next question:
I can now change the polar star's effect when shot to the left, I just need to know how to repeat it for the up, down and right shots.

NEXT next question:
how can you set the energy of a weapon? I saw in the compendium: "00499BD0 weapondata[0x00].energy +0C", but I can't seem to work it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hey. It's been forever since I posted here. I'm probably being stupid, but I want to get the .orgs from resource hacker. I know the whole 1041 thing ends up as a hex dump, so how do I get the .org out of the resources?

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
rename them with a .org extension

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:41 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Also make sure you choose "save resource as a binary file" from the "Action" menu. don't just say save resource, cause that will save it as a hex dump.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM
LunarSoul said:
Next question:
I can now change the polar star's effect when shot to the left, I just need to know how to repeat it for the up, down and right shots.

Each weapon has a case for handling what to fire for each direction, usually two for up and down since Quote has two frames for up and down firing (facing left, facing right).

LunarSoul said:
NEXT next question:
how can you set the energy of a weapon? I saw in the compendium: "00499BD0 weapondata[0x00].energy +0C", but I can't seem to work it.

That's an offset. The data table for available weapons starts at 0499C98. Each weapon is 64 bytes. So to cycle through them, you take the offset and add 64 to get the second weapon, 128 to get the third weapon, etc. Try looking at the "count weapon shot occurances" function to see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the double, but quick question:

How to convert tile coordinates into actual coordinates?

Apr 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Professional Whatever
Dubby said:
Each weapon has a case for handling what to fire for each direction, usually two for up and down since Quote has two frames for up and down firing (facing left, facing right).
Kay. How would I find them then?

Dubby said:
That's an offset. The data table for available weapons starts at 0499C98. Each weapon is 64 bytes. So to cycle through them, you take the offset and add 64 to get the second weapon, 128 to get the third weapon, etc. Try looking at the "count weapon shot occurances" function to see what I'm talking about.
But how would I set the energy? Would I add something to 499C98?
And by first weapon do you mean the weapon equipped? Because if its the first weapon you receive, that would be useless to me.
I need to specifically change the xp of the polar star, or at least the equipped weapon.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:22 AM
Don't just set the weapon's energy. It has to go through a level table (that has the weapon exp) first. There's a function that does just that, but it does not take away exp. You'll have to write a new function to do that.

You have to sift through the equipped weapons table. The +499C9C offset gives the shot ID. From that you can know what weapon it is. For something like the polar star that has three different bullets, just add 2 to the shot ID, and IDIV (integer division) it by 3. (I'm not going to go check to see what the number you'd need to compare to is, but you can figure it out. it's very basic math) Open up http://tile44.org/~noxid/Assembly Compendium Mar 2011.txt and go down to "
#Weapon stuff [MISCWEP]". It lists (most) of the weapon table offsets.

As for your first question, just keep looking in the weapon code. Each weapon has one case for each direction, and usually two for up and two for down. You've probably just overlooked them.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:47 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
I'm pretty late with this one, but it wasn't really fully answered, and I know this from working on the save editor, so...

Dubby said:
Anyone know how many teleporter slots the engine supports?
The profile.dat supports 7 teleporter slots. Cave Story however expects the 7th slot to be blanked as an indication that there are no more slots. Thus, the limit is 6 slots. You could probably make use of that seventh slot if you added a limiter to prevent the engine from overflowing beyond 7 slots, though.

Dubby said:
Well, the ASM functions that sift through the weapons table (that is, the weapons the player actually has) only goes up to 8 entries. Just wanted a second opinion to be sure.
The profile.dat does have room for eight weapons, but it suffers from the same problem as the teleporter slots in that it expects the last one to be null.

LunarSoul said:
I believe it's 7.
Although it doesn't really cap, it just glitches out. It's good for testing purposes.
A glitch means that there's a cap which he just didn't bother enforcing. So yes, it's capped. Technically. If nothing else, the profile.dat format caps it.

May 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Thank you Celtic, that's very useful to know - especially since I will likely need at least a dozen teleporter slots.

May 2, 2011 at 2:29 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Been awhile since I posted here.
How would one make a gun fire more than one bullet at the same time? Preferably determined by level.

May 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Just have the weapon code call CreateBullet() more than one time before returning. You could set up a loop of sorts to run it howevermuch you needed based on the level, even.

May 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
Just have the weapon code call CreateBullet() more than one time before returning. You could set up a loop of sorts to run it howevermuch you needed based on the level, even.

Hm. Sounds simple enough. Is there enough room for that? Polar Star code by the way.

May 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The weapon code has different calls for each direction case so they're really wasteful. If you're clever enough, there should be WAY more than enough room. Also, a loop takes like no space to implement.

May 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
The weapon code has different calls for each direction case so they're really wasteful. If you're clever enough, there should be WAY more than enough room. Also, a loop takes like no space to implement.

I believe all that needs to be done about the calls is a variable based on direction in one bullet call as apposed to 6 bullet calls. I'll figure it out. Then I'll need to redo all the bullet codes. But that's simple enough.