Oct 30, 2010 at 12:57 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
carrotlord said:
Assembly isn't like lego bricks, which is unfortunate.

But your idea will still work. You can run a conditional check to see if mimiga mask is equipped and make the weapons act/look differently based on that condition. That'd be much easier than adding new weapons.

Err...
What I was saying is that I would have some way of knowing which character was which (the aforementioned mimga mask item, although I'd need a way to keep it from actually appearing in the player's inventory). So when the game needs to read the weapon data, I'd just check to see if we're character B, and if we are, then tell the game that the weapon data is over thataway past the end of the normal executable where I put a duplicate of the weapon definition code except with completely different definitions. I'd probably have to recompute a checksum in the EXE header somewhere (or just decapitate the damn thing and change it to a .COM file), but besides that it should work, right?

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:09 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Schilcote said:
(the aforementioned mimga mask item, although I'd need a way to keep it from actually appearing in the player's inventory).
This part would be easy, since the item itself does not turn on the effect. Rather, the games runs an <EQ+ TSC event when you get it, which is just turning on a flag.
Schilcote said:
So when the game needs to read the weapon data, I'd just check to see if we're character B, and if we are, then tell the game that the weapon data is over thataway past the end of the normal executable where I put a duplicate of the weapon definition code except with completely different definitions. I'd probably have to recompute a checksum in the EXE header somewhere (or just decapitate the damn thing and change it to a .COM file), but besides that it should work, right?
This could work, but like noxid said you would probably need/want a new set of weapon data when you switched characters, and allocating the memory might be hard or something (although if you're using CE you can use the old map data's location as free RAM).

Either way the changes you are suggesting do not seem impossible in the slightest, but it seems like it would require a lot of work (a lot of hacking, mostly writing the new gun functions).

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:15 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Hey, I've been forgetting really simple things recently...I feel like a noob (which I sort of am) all over again...

I want to create a null object (object 0) that will run a script when your character makes contact with it. Which flag is that? Flag 400 has no effect (and is undefined by CE)...

Also, I'm having noobish issues with scripting...I want to set up a simple starting point...and have just a single door at the end...

Here's the script (text censored)

<KEY<FLJ0101:0100<FAI0004<WAI0050<MSG<TUR[censored]<NOD<CLR[censored]<NOD<CLR[censored]<NOD<CLR[censored]<FL+0100<END

<END

<HMC<KEY<WAI0050<FAO0004<TRA0001:0000:0001:0013<END

A door is tied to event 200. Whenever I examine the door, the current map resets and it runs event 100 again. It's trapped in an endless loop and I have no idea why. If someone could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated. For now, I'm just changing the start point to test later parts of the map (to see if they even work...)

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
400 is useless flag.
I'm pretty sure it's 100.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Just checked, and it worked great. (Thanks!) Also, I updated my first post with a TSC problem. Could you help with that as well?

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Sure can. You forgot the leading 0

etc.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ehh... Where do I start?

I can't seem to get any of the editing programs to work either. Cave Editor always tells me it can't save anything.

"Error Saving Map Data" is the exact error message.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Remove read-only status from all files, and the executable.

For the next question you're going to ask, you need to remove the (C)Pixel requirement from the .exe, which can be done in CE's Game Settings menu.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Ah, that did it. I should have thought of that myself.

I don't suppose there's any way to import/export .PBMs from PNGs or BMPs?

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
.pbm = .bmp

just change the extension. There's an option to do that in CE's Game Settings menu.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
lots of spriting
very tired
text fragmented
no punctuation

how do i get the mimga mask thingy to happen

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:11 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Anyone know why there's an up-side-down playersprite in MyChar.bmp? I've certainly never seen it used.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
In the normal ending when you jump off the Island and are falling.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oooooh. Ic.

How does this look:
LS01-CvStry.png

It's supposed to be this guy:
LS01ForwardFacing1WithCape.png

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Schilcote said:
Oooooh. Ic.

How does this look:
LS01-CvStry.png

It's supposed to be this guy:
LS01ForwardFacing1WithCape.png

black is the transparent color, you need to make his pants off-black (black +13 green) and fill the gray with black.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
sixtyseconds said:
black is the transparent color, you need to make his pants off-black (black +13 green) and fill the gray with black.

I know, they already are. I turned the background gray for purposes of examination.

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:20 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Schilcote said:
I know, they already are. I turned the background gray for purposes of examination.

okay, just making sure.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This...
Code:
<PRI[b]<FLJ0064:0020[/b]<FLJ0201:0018
<LI+1000<SOU0020<AE+<MSG
Health refilled.<NOD<END

[...]

<KEY<MSG<FAC0030
Hmm...
Uhh...
Medical equipment of
some kind?<NOD<CLR
No use to me.<NOD
<END

... is not working. It just gives me the normal "Health Refilled" when I use the health refilly thing with 0064 on.

On a related note, what's the best (and by best I mean easiest) way to make the player invulnerable when a flag is on?