May 16, 2009 at 7:10 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I haven't figured out the last problem, but now I've seemed to run into another.... O.o;
Whenever I use <FLJ0518:XXXX {That specific number}, it always jumps, no matter if it's set or not {I even made an event before the jump unset it, twice}. NPC's set to that flag to disappear/appear wait until it's set, though...Nevermind, seems 0518's a permanently On flag...
Are there some flags that are just sticky or something...?

Fortunately, like the music one, I've been able to jump around this real quick. :D
Unfortunately, it could also mean disaster later on.... >.<

May 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I would first like to say that I know hardly anything about Sue's workshop and I have tried searching already.

Now, my question; I have started playing around with SW and can't get any enemy other than the three Press forms to display properly. For example, Butes become blank squares, Acid drops become part of Pignon's sprite sheet... also, all bosses are blank squares, some sprites such as the helicopter become balrog's sheet, some enemies just don't appear at all. I'd like to know whether I need to edit flags or whether it's something to do with editing original maps? Help is much appreciated.

May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sprite Sheets

Upaa said:
I would first like to say that I know hardly anything about Sue's workshop and I have tried searching already.

Now, my question; I have started playing around with SW and can't get any enemy other than the three Press forms to display properly. For example, Butes become blank squares, Acid drops become part of Pignon's sprite sheet... also, all bosses are blank squares, some sprites such as the helicopter become balrog's sheet, some enemies just don't appear at all. I'd like to know whether I need to edit flags or whether it's something to do with editing original maps? Help is much appreciated.
Not sure how it is in SW, but in CE, you need to set the Sprite Sheets for the enemies, you can only have 2 per map.
Which means you can't have like Ballos, Balrog and Critters all on the same map, because they all have different sheets.

To work sprite sheets, for example, Balrog, you'd need to set the second one to Blrg {Or whatever his is called}
For Butes, I think it's Hell or something, but not sure if it goes into the first or second spot.
Critters get the first slot with Cemt.
Not sure if there's a list anywhere, but trial-and-error works pretty well..
{Check your Data files for the NPC sprite sheets}

May 17, 2009 at 7:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cool, I found the sprite sheets, but how do I like... put them into SW? Sorry, I know I'm probably asking rther basic questions, but I just can't see any way to make it work... thank for help btw :)

May 17, 2009 at 7:39 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
SW? Pff, CE!

Upaa said:
Cool, I found the sprite sheets, but how do I like... put them into SW? Sorry, I know I'm probably asking rther basic questions, but I just can't see any way to make it work... thank for help btw :)
Not sure how it works on SW, but in CE you just need to go to Map Properties and and set the two NPC sheets...

May 17, 2009 at 10:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Incase you don't know how to do that, just rightclick the maps name. On the righth and side there's two spots where you can select the NPC sheets. Generally I use the top one for the 'regular' enemies and the bottom one for when I want to use sprites from Boss sheets.

May 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I haven't figured out the last problem, but now I've seemed to run into another.... O.o;
Whenever I use <FLJ0518:XXXX {That specific number}, it always jumps, no matter if it's set or not {I even made an event before the jump unset it, twice}. NPC's set to that flag to disappear/appear wait until it's set, though...Nevermind, seems 0518's a permanently On flag...
Are there some flags that are just sticky or something...?

Fortunately, like the music one, I've been able to jump around this real quick. :)
Unfortunately, it could also mean disaster later on.... >.<

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a permanent "on" flag. What you might be experiencing is the fact that if you have an NPC with either the "invisible if flag set" or the "visible if flag set" flag set, then using <DNP on that NPC will cause the flag associated with it to be set to either on or off (depending on which NPC flag was set), even though you never used <FL+ or <FL-. I suspect that what is happening to you is you have an NPC that is set to be "invisible if flag 0518 set" and so if you use <DNP on that NPC, then the game engine will automatically set flag 0518 even though you never actually said <FL+0518. I have had this problem so many times in my mod and it's extremely annoying because it seems like flags are changing for no apparent reason, but once you figure it out, it's actually pretty easy to fix

May 17, 2009 at 11:46 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
wedge of cheese said:
I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a permanent "on" flag. What you might be experiencing is the fact that if you have an NPC with either the "invisible if flag set" or the "visible if flag set" flag set, then using <DNP on that NPC will cause the flag associated with it to be set to either on or off (depending on which NPC flag was set), even though you never used <FL+ or <FL-. I suspect that what is happening to you is you have an NPC that is set to be "invisible if flag 0518 set" and so if you use <DNP on that NPC, then the game engine will automatically set flag 0518 even though you never actually said <FL+0518. I have had this problem so many times in my mod and it's extremely annoying because it seems like flags are changing for no apparent reason, but once you figure it out, it's actually pretty easy to fix
But the NPCs that use that flag ID aren't touched until much later, and the flag's still jumping...
I told it to clear the flag, twice, before it came to the jump part, and it still jumped!

I've just avoided that flag completely, for now. I was mostly curious as to wither there were permanent sticky flags or something...

May 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Er, I managed to make Heavy Press' sheet work in the Shack, but I can't shoot him and he doesn't do anything? Do I have to set a certain flaag value to make him shootable/etc? Thanks for previous help, guys. :D

May 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM
graters gonna grate
You need to use a certain <BOA command. Look at the script for Sacred Ground-B3 in CS and look for the event which triggers the Heavy Press boss fight, and imitate it in your mod's script.

May 18, 2009 at 11:30 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Upaa said:
Er, I managed to make Heavy Press' sheet work in the Shack, but I can't shoot him and he doesn't do anything? Do I have to set a certain flaag value to make him shootable/etc? Thanks for previous help, guys. :D

Yeah do what wedge said and if you don't already know you start a boss fight with the map's special boss with <BSL0000 and event 1000 will run when it dies.

And speaking of special bosses, I haven't really needed this yet but it should help later. Cause all the special bosses don't have a special entity number meaning you can't make it so that it won't appear when you set a certain flag after you kill it. So I just need to know how do I add a flag Id to it? Or does the boss entity just removed from the game completely when it's been killed? I know there's some way of doing this cause monster X doesn't appear after you've defeated it

May 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM
graters gonna grate
Use of the <BOA command I think is what you're looking for. Most special bosses have a <BOA to make them appear that must be used when the map is loaded. Just make it so the <BOA isn't used if a certain flag is set and the boss won't appear (I'm pretty sure that's how Pixel made Monster X not appear after you've killed it).

May 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
That would make sense but I checked the event used when you load the map and it didn't seem to do anything with the boss. Perhaps I'll look at the script in Metalogz's mod with the monster X edit and see what he's done there cause you can make it appear again after defeating it

May 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Eh... I inserted <BOA0500<CMU0000<FL-1550<END and nothing happened, so I added '#1000' above it and the screen went black when I entered Shack and it just played the sound file of when Heavy Press is killed...

Edit: SO wait, Event #1000 seem to be death- when I triggered balrog's appearance by getting the silver locket Heavy Press opened his eye and fell through the floor, in similar fashion to when he dies. So what's the event for the fight? Do I have to insert a trigger, or something? Waah, I'm so bad at this D:

May 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM
graters gonna grate
First of all, make sure your events are in ascending numerical order (for example do not put event #1000 before event #0091 or anything like that).

Also, to start the boss fight, in this case you should use <BOA0100 rather than <BOA0500. As far as I know, there isn't really much of a pattern to which <BOA commands correspond to which boss actions, so the thing to do is to look at the original CS script and imitate it.

For example, in this case of trying to find out how to fight the heavy press, you would first open CS in your preferred editor and open the "Sacred Ground - B3" map. Then look for an H/V-trigger (NPC number 46), located at whatever spot triggers the heavy press boss fight, and take note of its event number (in this case it happens to be 0300). Now, take a look at the script for "Sacred Ground - B3" and look for event #0300. The code looks like this:

Code:
<DNP0300<DNA0309<DNA0311<DNA0317
<FON0301:0016
<CMU0007<BSL0000
<CMP0020:0011:0001
<CMP0020:0012:0001
<BOA0100
<CNP1001:0330:0000
<CNP1002:0330:0002
<SOU0012
<END

The key commands here are <BSL0000 and <BOA0100 which are the commands necessary to start the boss fight, and the ones you should use in your mod.

May 20, 2009 at 12:12 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Is it possible to have the game running normally while Scripts are running?

In the most recent boss fight in my Mod I tried to make a looping script that continually spawned something but found that I couldn't actually get hurt because of it, as such I had to use H/V triggers to spawn it which works, but not as well as I'd like.

May 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Zephryl said:
Is it possible to have the game running normally while Scripts are running?

In the most recent boss fight in my Mod I tried to make a looping script that continually spawned something but found that I couldn't actually get hurt because of it, as such I had to use H/V triggers to spawn it which works, but not as well as I'd like.
I hadn't tried that yet, but I had my hopes up... {Would've made for interesting boss fights}
Two scripts can't really run at the same time, so that's probably you're problem...
Or did you forget to use <FRE?

May 20, 2009 at 1:10 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Yeah

JacobX891 said:
Y'know, I'm pretty sure there are entities devoted specifically to spawning certain other entities...
But then again, I don't know shit like that.
Yeah, but only a very select few to pick from.
What if you wanted to spawn Drolls? Or Balrog-like enemies? {As in, use the boss script as a regular enemy script}
There are no entities for that.... D'=

May 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Er, I managed to make Heavy Press work, with help from you guise, but to stop interference with the script I deleted all the unnecassary events like The Balrog fight/ etc, and I am left with this.

<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0000<END
<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0001<END
<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0002<END
<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0003<END
<MNA<CMU0008<FAI0004<END

<FLJ0361:0103
<FLJ0362:0101
<FLJ0360:0102
<KEY<SOU0011<ANP0100:0000:0002
<FAO0004<TRA0011:0094:0042:0052
<PRI<MSGyou suck anus<NOD<END
<KEY<FAO0004<TRA0011:0094:0042:0052
<PRI<MSGyou are a retard<NOD<END

<DNP0300<DNA0309<DNA0311<DNA0317
<FON0301:0016
<CMU0007<BSL0000
<CMP0020:0011:0001
<CMP0020:0012:0001
<BOA0100
<CNP1001:0330:0000
<CNP1002:0330:0002
<SOU0012
<BSL0000
<END

<BOA0500<CMU0000<FL-1550<END

uh.. yeah

When I open any of the "Doors" (which are actually Curly and Ghost Dog. Haha.) It just says "you suck anus" or "you are a retard" rather than opening, even before the fight. SO I think I deleted an important event, anyone know what it is?

Edit: Nevermind, I just needed to copy the script from an unedited version of cs.

May 21, 2009 at 10:29 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hermit

JacobX891 said:
Well then too bad for you, sir.
Know your arsenal, and use it wisely.
Remember the Hermit?
Only a fool would blame his own tools for his weakness.
Thus, we like to find ways to create our own tools, and not just rely on what Cave Story originally had :)
That, and it'd be a boring mod if we did.