Aug 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1. Heh, the problem wasn't here, I found that one myself.
2. Thanks, how I missed that, it's so simple.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:09 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The events in head.tsc can be called from all maps. I'm not opening the editor to doublecheck, but I believe that there is a event in there that already extends your missile count by 5, and already handles if you have the missile launcher OR the super missile launcher. I wouldn't add events in there until you're a bit more confident in tsc though.

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:59 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for your help but I already solved this problem myself.

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is there anyway to modify the fight with Iron Head? I can't seem to find it in any of the maps or script files.

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The map is "Main Artery", in which you can see an oft-overlooked hint at how to get Ikachans left by our benevolent Pixel

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:30 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, that's weird. Why does it say No Damage? Or is that a hint for the alien medal thing?

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Story said:
Wow, that's weird. Why does it say No Damage? Or is that a hint for the alien medal thing?

Noxid said:
hint at how to get Ikachans

Yes .

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hello!

I'm using Cave Editor and editing all the scripts and such
to eliminate any sound effects(it's working so far!! I've changed my files to eliminate read-only qualities).

I can't seem to find the scripts for the characters themselves(Quote's footsteps, weapon shots, Misery's fireballs, etc.).

Is it simply impossible to edit out the characters' sounds?
(I really hope I can do it though!)

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Sadly these are not scripted but rather hardcoded into the executable itself. I'm not entirely sure how you'd remove them without ASM, but HEY! I just happen to be a guy that knows that stuff. If you don't want ANY sound effect in the entire game to play, simply get a hex editor, and at the address 0x20640 put the hex value "0xC3". Make sure it's set to overwrite or else the whole thing will be screwed up.

Alternatively, in a debugger such as Ollydbg put a RETN at the start of function 0x420640

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
You can't do it using TSC alone, you'd have to do assembly hacks. A more efficient approach than going through and changing all the things that play sounds would be to replace all the sound effects with silence. There's a thread on the forums somewhere that explains how to replace sound effects, so you can search that.

edit: or just do what Noxid said >_>

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Noxid said:
Sadly these are not scripted but rather hardcoded into the executable itself. I'm not entirely sure how you'd remove them without ASM, but HEY! I just happen to be a guy that knows that stuff. If you don't want ANY sound effect in the entire game to play, simply get a hex editor, and at the address 0x20640 put the hex value "0xC3". Make sure it's set to overwrite or else the whole thing will be screwed up.

YAY!!perfect, I eliminated the music this way(some one else posted it). I still don't know how you hexxers find the right address for that, though.
A Million thanx!

A more efficient approach than going through and changing all the things that play sounds would be to replace all the sound effects with silence.

I'd tried to do that, with TSC, but I guess only with assembly hacks it would work? I really don't want to even think about any more different hacking programs, but this could help somebody who does use assembly. Thanks for the advice, though!

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:11 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Anyone know where to find the number codes for the animations? I wanted to make the helicopter from the end of the game to actually move, or make everything else move, "not quite sure how it works" yet When I look at the TSC for the animation in original TSC, Ican't tell which number sequence relates to which object, and looking online has so foar only resulted in the codesfor character's and such. Is there a way of finding out, or is it just guess work? I'm not a total n00b, I just find that to be very difficult.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Anyone know where to find the number codes for the animations? I wanted to make the helicopter from the end of the game to actually move, or make everything else move, "not quite sure how it works" yet When I look at the TSC for the animation in original TSC, Ican't tell which number sequence relates to which object, and looking online has so foar only resulted in the codesfor character's and such. Is there a way of finding out, or is it just guess work? I'm not a total n00b, I just find that to be very difficult.

http://spgardebiter.sp.funpic.de/CaveStory/FAQ/ANP.txt

This (which you may have already found) contains most of the known animations for entities. As you will notice, the helicopter is not on this list. As far as I am aware, the helicopter only has 1 animation, and that is just the blades spinning. You could check to see if it has more animations (which is unlikely, since there are no other instances of the helicopter being animated in the game) with Assembly (since animations are just a switch in the entity's state number), but I still doubt it would be there.

The only thing that would probably work is to make your own entity helicopter (assembly), or just find a way to work around the "helicopter taking off" scene, like Pixel did.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Couldn't you just move the helicopter? It's tiles, isn't it? Or is it a gigantic entity? If it's tiles, a sequence of tile change operations could make it move onscreen. If it's an entity, are there not commands to move entities?

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah, you could use <MNP but either you'd have to make it move at 16 pixels/frame (800 pixels/second!), or make it jerky and weird looking, since you can only <MNP something to a tile coordinate (multiple of 16).

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Or you could make the camera move around.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:48 AM
I don't anymore.
Another dumb question.

Anyone know the 4-digit code for the mimiga mask sprite set? I wanted to change them to be the main character, but insted of being a modified version of the normal sprites, just to make more positions for him. For instance: to make his hands in the air like he is scared, or to put his arms in a different postion. Just cut-scene kinda poses.

Also...
Is this a bad idea?
In order to save rooms, "because there is a maximum" I wanted to make a few really big rooms that have a few different areas in them. These would probably just be save points. It would be much easier than trying to make a ton of different rooms for small individual svae points. They are also seperated so you get the allsuion that they are different rooms, "I don't plan on making the map system available."

It would look like this
1=blackness K=actual areas

1K111111111111111K1111111111111111K1
1K111111111111111K1111111111111111K1

...and so on.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:54 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I'll answer your second question first because it's easier: Yes, it should be fine. Even better is if you have some sort of method to prevent the screen from scrolling, such as using <FON upon entering the room and <FOM when leaving.

As for the first thing, well... what you're describing seems vaguely possible, if a little sketchy. I suppose you would <EQ+ the mimiga mask and then <MYD or <ANP very quickly so that it takes the right stance. Does Mimiga mask affect entity 150? That's the only way I can see this being feasible without ASM hacks. The number is <EQ+0064/<EQ-0064 by the way.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:07 AM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
I'll answer your second question first because it's easier: Yes, it should be fine. Even better is if you have some sort of method to prevent the screen from scrolling, such as using <FON upon entering the room and <FOM when leaving.

As for the first thing, well... what you're describing seems vaguely possible, if a little sketchy. I suppose you would <EQ+ the mimiga mask and then <MYD or <ANP very quickly so that it takes the right stance. Does Mimiga mask affect entity 150? That's the only way I can see this being feasible without ASM hacks. The number is <EQ+0064/<EQ-0064 by the way.

Thanks for the opinion on the idea, I really feared that no one would get what I was trying to do.

Also, the idea for editing that mask would be purley for cutscene use, and I was afraid that I might be stealing the idea, as it seemed simple at the time.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:18 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There's a big difference between stealing an idea and having the same idea as somebody else. At least, to me there is, because when you steal it you KNOW somebody else did it first and you decide to do it the exact same as them anyway claiming it was your idea. Having the same idea is different in that you might not have know the other existed, or if you did you acknowledge that it was first at least.