Nov 24, 2019 at 2:06 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, all I'm asking is: is there a way to use the ceiling slope without getting Quote stuck in it?
For a short and sweet answer, you can't. Really, you just need to lower the slope by a tile and just have Quote run into a wall.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:02 PM
"Huzzah!"
is there any way to change the music file type in Cave Story from .org to .mp3?

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM
War criminal
is there any way to change the music file type in Cave Story from .org to .mp3?
Use either Mod Loader or CSE2, they allow usage of other file types for songs.

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
after using hex editor, question, how to I find the Song Names ("what values are the names at") in it and whats the safest way to change them

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
that was me 10 minutes ago
now im just confused, 7-zip wont allow me to edit:
ca.PNG
ca2.PNG
ignore the "read-only", because its not, I turned it off and it still wouldn't work, then I thought "resource hacker"
but, it said, "no"
ca3.PNG
resource hacker immediately takes me to the 1041 folder, and as far as I can see there is no way to go back

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:23 AM
War criminal
What are you even doing? Am I gonna have to link up some forum threads that can be easily searched here again?

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:51 AM
"Huzzah!"
What are you even doing? Am I gonna have to link up some forum threads that can be easily searched here again?
when you said edit the files with went to the .data for the editing, I guess I was very off
im so stupid

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM
War criminal
I don't think that still meant it has to be done internally... If you really did download either/or from the threads they were in, maybe you should lurk moar read the discussions to get a better idea of how it works.

...Or maybe join the CSMC Discord server. There are at most 10 active modders that can show you.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:19 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So the intro problem for Gun still exists but there's hope. I can briefly access Level 0 (Hub) and then this happens:
p371758-0-s7qjw9e.png

Also does changing the filenames for your levels have any negative side effects? I'm just asking because I remembered it after playing How 2 Mod Cave Story.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 2:44 AM
War criminal
Or with a bit more patience and finesse (and if you know where to look) you can use 20kdc's N.I.C.E. Lua mod.
NICE is too finnicky though, and considering the traction to C/C++, there aren't much people here (or even in the CSMC Discord server) that know how to code in Lua to add modifications to the game.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
If you change the file names in Booster's Lab I think you still have to change the file names in the Stage folder.

As for changing the internal song names via .data ... you don't really need to, but if you want to:
1. Make sure you're using a hex editor to edit .data, and always leave a 00 at the end of your string so that it doesn't leak into another string. (But do not overwrite or move the starting position of other strings know what you're doing)
2. Rename the resources themselves (probably with Resource Hacker)
But there is no point in doing this because the only way you'd see these is by opening the game's exe.

If you're interested in using waveform sound files then you can easily use Clownacy's mod loader:
https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/dll-mod-loader-extra-music-formats-mod.13879/
Or with a bit more patience and finesse (and if you know where to look) you can use 20kdc's N.I.C.E. Lua mod.
Also, I'd recommend using OGGs over MP3s for quality's sake. Or FLAC/s if you're OK with big uploads. (or even WAVs if you like wasting space)

And changing the names won't have any negative effects like the ones currently plaguing my mod? Oh and thanks for all the other info, it'll prove useful to me later on.

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I have an ORG of Dark Castle from Kirby's Dream Land 2, but I don't know who ported it to ORG, does anybody know so I can give credits?
(This music was used on the final area of Story Off The Rails)

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:42 PM
War criminal
I have an ORG of Dark Castle from Kirby's Dream Land 2, but I don't know who ported it to ORG, does anybody know so I can give credits?
(This music was used on the final area of Story Off The Rails)
Does the mod have a credits.txt file or is it mentioned anywhere in the mod?