Jul 4, 2018 at 2:43 AM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yeah, you can draw everything to be a falling block. You can make a falling sand, lava, big stone, or else.

Oh so do you think a good idea for that area would be to make a whole new tileset and switch it around for JUST that map?

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:12 AM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh so do you think a good idea for that area would be to make a whole new tileset and switch it around for JUST that map?
Well, that's your choise.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Where exactly is the Missile Launcher pickup script sequence located? I looked in EggR, but it wasn't there

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:05 PM
Piyo Piyo Discord Admin
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It located of Head.tsc event #0030, and his other missile upgrades. I think just the Super Missile script is located on the Boulder Chamber.

Jul 5, 2018 at 10:01 PM
Does anyone know when Omega will pop out of the ground? I thought it was when he was half health but it seems like when im using him hes coming out way to late or never coming out of the ground at all.

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:51 PM
It's once they reach 280 (0x118) health or less. The CMP for it is at 0047B984, if you wanted to change it at all.
(4BBA98 is Omega's health, if you wanted to monitor it with a trace)
what if i set omegas health to 1600?
i thought previously it was 400

also what does this part mean
The CMP for it is at 0047B984, if you wanted to change it at all.
(4BBA98 is Omega's health, if you wanted to monitor it with a trace)

is this one of those weird tricks that you can use to somehow get their health like with flags above 8000?

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:08 PM
No, you can't edit that code with OOB flags because it's "read-only." (not to mention way out of the range of the OOB flags)
It's just some extremely rudimentary *assembly editing. If you open up the game in OllyDbg or what-have-you, you can navigate to 0047B984 by pressing CTRL+G and entering that address. Then, just change the number on the end of the CMP at that address to whatever you want Omega to transform at. The number will need to be in hexadecimal, but there are heaps of converters out there, like this one.
It shouldn't be that difficult.

*Which means: opening the executable file and changing the bytecode in it.

ok im really new to this so do i open the doukutsu.exe file or the data file? (EDIT: wait i think it has to be the doukutsu thing)

also does CMP mean change map tile in this situation....

(oh and just curious why are they called oob flags? that sounds like a weird blob or something)

another edit:

Ok, it says it cant find this 0047B984 thing
I think I'm using a hex editor???
theres a ton of weird numbers and on the side it says offset and things that kind of look like the 0047B984 but they say stuff like 00000530 instead or something

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 5:14 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ok im really new to this so do i open the doukutsu.exe file or the data file?
(oh and just curious why are they called oob flags? that sounds like a weird blob or something)
Open Doukutsu.exe with Ollydbg, yes

And OOB means Out of Bounds, meaning beyond the appropriate boundaries

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM
Open Doukutsu.exe with Ollydbg, yes

And OOB means Out of Bounds, meaning beyond the appropriate boundaries
it seems like the hex's or whatever are in order.

my only goes up to 0016something

why is that?

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:50 PM
Yes, you definitely open the .exe. That's what a debugger is for; plus there's no code in the other files.

No, CMP is an assembly mnemonic. Something to help the poor souls who use it enter in instructions without memorising opcodes. It just means "compare," and will subtract one value from another, but not store it; only getting flags. Essentially, having that CMP and then the conditional JMP (JE,JNE,etc.) is like an if statement in high-level programming languages.

Like I said, you need to open the exe in OllyDbg, and press CTRL+G, enter "0047B984" into the box it gives you and press enter. That should take you to an instruction reading "CMP DWORD PTR DS:[4BBA98],118"; change the "118" part. The number you enter will need to be in hexadecimal, so please use the converter I posted before if you don't know how hexadecimal works.

You should use OllyDbg. It's a debugger. A hex editor will allow you to achieve the same result, but it won't give you the information you want in a manor in which it is easily distinguishable. (i.e. it's all in bytecode, and not interpreted at all for you beyond an ASCII/Unicode dump -- somewhat more helpful than using a text editor)
i made a copy of my doukutsu and data files before doing this is that a good idea?

is there any chance it will destroy what im doing

edit: ok i did all of that and my thing isn't exploding so thats good

but whenever i exit the ollydbg thing it always reverts back to 118

is there any way to save my changes...?

another edit: I GOT IT TO WORK

i dont really know what i did but i pressed a lot of buttons and eventually it saved an entirely new copy of my doukutsu game AND I GOT OMEGA TO INSTANTLY COME OUT OF THE GROUND

haha thats so cool

im having omega be the final boss what do you think is a good time for him to come out of the ground? if he has 1600 health

also this may be super complicated, but is it possible to change the number of projectiles omega shoots out?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:28 PM
Oh fuck me, I forgot to tell you how to save ...
So, once you've entered in the new number, select the highlighted "modified code", right click on it, find "edit", then "copy to executable."
A window will pop up, close it and choose the option to save in the dialogue box that comes up. You will be prompted to save. If you save over your old file, it will auto-backup your last exe for you, so there's no need to worry about messing it up at all. (too many million copies?? -- just use a new filename like "Doukutsu_testingOmega.exe" or whatever)
haha it works! now the boss fight is actually kind of balanced

now that ive done weird changey stuff does this make me super cool cave story editor pro

also how did you know that omegas health come out of ground thing would be at that spot?

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
So, if i have a character with a face pic having a back and forth exchange with someone without one, the character without gets the face pic of the last person who spoke to them. How do i fix this? (i've already tried <NOD<CLR)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 2:56 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jul 10, 2018 at 4:29 PM
This might is a bit of a more specific problem, but i can't find a solution myself, so here it is. I was editing Egg Corridor when i realised that in order to fit something large inside of it, i needed to expand the ceiling, so that i did. When i began playtesting, everytime i exited a door or the teleporter, i was spawned on the ground for as millisecond than was teleported about five blocks in the air (this only happened in the "Main" Egg corridor room, not in rooms that can be entered through it). Does anyone have a solution?