• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread

Oct 2, 2017 at 1:01 AM
Professional-Idiot
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
You are probably spawning them wrong. You should just place them somewhere outside the player's view then teleport them with a
<MNP

(description from the TSC guide at the adress http://www.cavestory.org/guides/tsc.txt) :
<MNPx:y:z:w Move NPc Move npc X to coords Y:Z facing direction W

The reason is probably (I'm not sure, read that somewhere in a guide some time ago) that spawned NPCs get the smallest available entity ID.
Alright I finally got them to appear in game thanks to the MNP command. The only problem now is when they appear, they don't die:

I so sorry for taking up everybody's time with these issues, I've tried to make sure they're critters, I checked the NPC table and properties but this issue persists......
I've thought it was because they were supposed to have 1000 + they're actual desired hp like for the guadis but after looking at the image that's not the case......

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM
The God of Development Heaven
Modding Community Discord Admin
"Deaths: 4000"
Alright I finally got them to appear in game thanks to the MNP command. The only problem now is when they appear, they don't die:

I so sorry for taking up everybody's time with these issues, I've tried to make sure they're critters, I checked the NPC table and properties but this issue persists......
I've thought it was because they were supposed to have 1000 + they're actual desired hp like for the guadis but after looking at the image that's not the case......
At that point when they die they will run an event, and you have to pretend kill them (play a sound effect and CNP them to smoke). Pixel never intended for something like this so you have to work around the weird "run event on death" function.

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:55 AM
Professional-Idiot
At that point when they die they will run an event, and you have to pretend kill them (play a sound effect and CNP them to smoke). Pixel never intended for something like this so you have to work around the weird "run event on death" function.
Yes! FINALLY! I got everything I needed to work!
Thanks so much guys, everybody who contributed helped in a major way, I can finally do a small arena. Thanks again!

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM
Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
im trying to make two teleporters in 1 map teleport to each other but it keeps glitching out
sometimes the blue teleporting thing won't show, sometimes you, sometimes everything, sometimes no sound and I just can't get it to work

someone please give me step by step instructions I've tried a lot of things
I have 3 sprites with events for each (teleporter base, something below it, and something to the top left of it)
each has a different event

I'm using the <MOV command, not <TRA

Oct 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Professional-Idiot
You'd want to do as the player goes through the teleport animation; have a <WAIXXXX command, and then have a <FONXXXX:YYYYY (to have it focus on NPC X for Y amount of ticks), 16 is fast, 32 is medium speed, 64 is slow, 1 is instant, and 0 crashes the game, you would want the <FON command to focus on the teleporter. Then make sure "reanimate" the player back in with the <ANP command and then make sure you're doing <FOM character at the end so the camera's not stuck on the teleporter NPC, the same tick rules apply for <FOM, in that case, it's best to use 0001 tick because of how instant it is.

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:11 AM
You'd want to do as the player goes through the teleport animation; have a <WAIXXXX command, and then have a <FONXXXX:YYYYY (to have it focus on NPC X for Y amount of ticks), 16 is fast, 32 is medium speed, 64 is slow, 1 is instant, and 0 crashes the game, you would want the <FON command to focus on the teleporter. Then make sure "reanimate" the player back in with the <ANP command and then make sure you're doing <FOM character at the end so the camera's not stuck on the teleporter NPC, the same tick rules apply for <FOM, in that case, it's best to use 0001 tick because of how instant it is.
oh i think i wasn't animating the teleporter again...

whoops

THANKS!

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:10 PM
since it's been a while since i put something else here I hope I don't have to combine them again... (and this is unrelated to the previous thing)

I was looking through the characters and the npc things and I noticed that in the NpcCent theres a character (i think used in the new jenkasnightmare) but I never remember seeing it
Why is it there??

also in the "NpcRegu" theres a picture of the doctor and one of them has his hand up and not really sure what he's doing..
upload_2017-10-14_10-10-4.png
Not sure if you can see that but it kind of looks like that
(colors are inverted not sure why)

Attachments

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM
Pokemon Master
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
since it's been a while since i put something else here I hope I don't have to combine them again... (and this is unrelated to the previous thing)

I was looking through the characters and the npc things and I noticed that in the NpcCent theres a character (i think used in the new jenkasnightmare) but I never remember seeing it
Why is it there??

also in the "NpcRegu" theres a picture of the doctor and one of them has his hand up and not really sure what he's doing..
View attachment 4188
It's of him holding the Red Crystal.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:39 PM
Soup Man

Why is it there??

View attachment 4188
The guy in NpcCent you're talking about is unused (unless you mean numachi)

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:11 PM
It's of him holding the Red Crystal.
OOOHH that makes so much more sense!
it looked kind of like a hidden easter egg of a rude gesture from the doctor...

EDIT:
another question, is there any place I can copy what each tile does in a tile set? like it's tile #41 or tile #01 and I can copy and paste that instead of clicking EVERY SINGLE ONE...?

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:34 AM
Pokemon Master
I don't think there is such a feature for Booster's Lab. That does sound like it could be a suggestion for Noxid, though!

Oct 19, 2017 at 7:11 AM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Good idea.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:00 AM
what music did jenkas nightmare replace? the one by the zarrotsu guy
i know they had that wind fortress music at one point and i know you need to replace songs

also what was the ending to that beginning one just a curious question while im here

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:37 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I don't exactly know. The best way to check is probably to open both exes (original and jenka) with 7z (as archive), and then copy paste the ORGs into the same folder and see which have different sizes.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How would I detect an enemy in a certain spot?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
it's not possible

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:55 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oh well, another question then: do enemy's bullets (i.e. from a flying gaudi) destroy breakable blocks?

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
No, only player bullets can. However a very few very specific NPCs can create player bullets in some situation - if an NPC can be killed by another NPC that is what's happening (e.g. the large falling spikes in Egg Corridor 2)

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, Thank you!

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Hey just curious for anyone who's played jenkas nightmare (I think most versions have it) at various points balrog is your friend and is able to wander around (at one point you see him flowing in a drain, another point he's walking to the right bashing through walls in a sand-ish area)

I'm a little confused how they did this and I really want to incorporate balrog into my mod (hes a very fun and funny character)

please help if its complicated please tell me all, if its simple then just tell me the <ANP numbers and which sprite to <ANP