Oct 29, 2017 at 12:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
No, only player bullets can. However a very few very specific NPCs can create player bullets in some situation - if an NPC can be killed by another NPC that is what's happening (e.g. the large falling spikes in Egg Corridor 2)

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:24 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok, Thank you!

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:09 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Hey just curious for anyone who's played jenkas nightmare (I think most versions have it) at various points balrog is your friend and is able to wander around (at one point you see him flowing in a drain, another point he's walking to the right bashing through walls in a sand-ish area)

I'm a little confused how they did this and I really want to incorporate balrog into my mod (hes a very fun and funny character)

please help if its complicated please tell me all, if its simple then just tell me the <ANP numbers and which sprite to <ANP

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The wallbreaking section would probably just be done by by removing tiles as Balrog walked into them normally. The part where he circles around in the stream is actually a complex combination of the Enraged Misery entity (from the Undead Core fight) and odd behaviour that happens to his own jumping animation if it's stopped early that I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate without much experience. All Balrog's regular animations should be in the old ANP.txt, if you have that already.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM
The wallbreaking section would probably just be done by by removing tiles as Balrog walked into them normally. The part where he circles around in the stream is actually a complex combination of the Enraged Misery entity (from the Undead Core fight) and odd behaviour that happens to his own jumping animation if it's stopped early that I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate without much experience. All Balrog's regular animations should be in the old ANP.txt, if you have that already.
https://www.cavestory.org/guides/basicmodding/guide/anp.txt
I have this thing here

OH wait a minute it says (0012) above it does that mean sprite 12 is the entity that these <ANP applies to?

can someone give me some cool mimiga names? like toroko or igor
(i'm not planning on them having big parts. i just need like 1-3 names)

also no names like "jack" or "king"
if you do have names like that though, please tell me in a different part because i may make those characters with important parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
can someone give me some cool mimiga names? like toroko or igor
(i'm not planning on them having big parts. i just need like 1-3 names)

also no names like "jack" or "king"
if you do have names like that though, please tell me in a different part because i may make those characters with important parts
Chinchu, Kalyo, Arut, Kanshi, Moori, and Tifru. made these up on the spot XD hope this helps!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 10:30 PM
We do not allow such vulgarity here in these forums!
wait what is that a bad word?
if so please tell me all the "safe" words on that list so i dont end up using an insulting one

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:35 PM
War criminal
The other names are good, just don't look up guro. It's not a family friendly thing.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:47 PM

oh can someone remove it from their post then do you guys have supreme editing skills

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:38 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nov 11, 2017 at 5:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
How do you change the title screen and starting point?

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
How do you change the title screen and starting point?
for the title screen you go into the data folder and edit your title.pbm/bmp/whatever. you might want the full title screen editing hack thing. for the starting point you open up CE and go to game settings. you can change it there. i have no idea how you do it in BL.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
In BL it's "Hacking Tool" somewhere in the top tabs, then you find "starting.xml" and "title.xml"

Nov 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
In BL it's "Hacking Tool" somewhere in the top tabs, then you find "starting.xml" and "title.xml"
Thank you! One other question: I tried to test my mod and it opened and got stuck on the loading screen, is there something I need to fix before I attempt to test, or what?

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Thank you! One other question: I tried to test my mod and it opened and got stuck on the loading screen, is there something I need to fix before I attempt to test, or what?
Huh, is there a error box that pops up or something?

On a whim I'm guessing it's that the images were converted from .pbm to the more useful .bmp , but you need to save your .exe to use these. Try opening up the mod in BL again and clicking "File>Save All". This basically does the graphic setup for you rather than having to manually set it with CE.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:08 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Huh, is there a error box that pops up or something?

On a whim I'm guessing it's that the images were converted from .pbm to the more useful .bmp , but you need to save your .exe to use these. Try opening up the mod in BL again and clicking "File>Save All". This basically does the graphic setup for you rather than having to manually set it with CE.
There was no error box, but in the mod folder there was a .txt file called error that had this in it:

C:\Users\username\Downloads\Games\CaveStorytest\data\stage\Prt.bmp,0
C:\Users\username\Downloads\Games\CaveStorytest\data\Npc\Npc.bmp,0
C:\Users\username\Downloads\Games\CaveStorytest\data\stage\Prt.bmp,0

Thank you for your help!

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:15 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Are you using tile sets and spritesheets called simply "Npc.bmp" and "Prt.bmp" in the mod?
Yeah, but I think the problem was with my title screen event, so I'm fixing that now.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Yeah, but I think the problem was with my title screen event, so I'm fixing that now.
oh i think i've had that as well where the title screen freezes
do you have to completely end the program? (you can't even press esc to quit and there is no F%F*A&SJ error also?)

One thing I noticed was when i was trying to incorporate "mods" like fullscreen and stuff this happened
only with my game oddly

another odd thing while we're talking about errors:
For some reason every few weeks all my cave story games switch from fullscreen to small screen in the top left corner with everything else gray
why does it keep alternating? and how do i fix it..