Question about screenshots

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, I was listening to the soundtrack on Youtube, when I came across this video :

This screenshot has no HUD whatsoever, and I was wondering, is there was some way to disable the HUD so that I could take a screenshot like this?

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:35 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think that might not be an actual screenshot

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 12:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmm, alright. But is there anything like a mod that allows me to remove the hud?

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:46 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright, I managed to find a HUDless version of Cave Story here :

The only problem is that is is in 4:3 resolution, but I'll try and see if I can make it widescreen.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wouldn't you just remove the individual graphics that make up the HUD?

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:33 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I guess you could do that, but I don't know how to go about doing that. I tried editing the .pbm files in the data folder, but I couldn't run the game after.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:58 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
just run an event with <KEY LOL

edit: <PRI should work too

Oct 26, 2018 at 3:40 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I guess you could do that, but I don't know how to go about doing that. I tried editing the .pbm files in the data folder, but I couldn't run the game after.
That's because of the fact that all the Cave Story image files have a little hex string at the end which spells "(C)Pixel" to indicate that it's a legitimate Cave Story image, and if it doesn't, the game throws an error and exits out like you were experiencing. Back in the old days, people used to manually edit images on an individual basis and add this "(C)Pixel" string to all edited images, or they would find the "(C)Pixel" string in the exe and remove it, which would remove the requirement for images, so that you don't have to go into a hex editor and add it every time you make a change to an image. Eventually, editors came around that just automatically remove the requirement for you so that you don't have to worry about this anymore. Cave Editor has a simple check box that does it, and Booster's Lab just automatically does it behind the scenes when you open up a game.