Puppy Story

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Yes. Puppy Story.

For one, you play as Hajime. (The puppy you get from Curly's house and the one that gives you the heart capsule)

I have an idea for what to do for the first thing, but it's not full yet.

My problem right now is (I already posted this in the other Hacking/Modding Section, but I'm just mentioning again) that I made the first room Jenka's House, but there is already an event there, because I'm using Jenka's Nightmare as the mod I'm using Cave Editor on, because I couldn't find out how exactly to get the game to start when I editted sprites and I'm lazy. But either way, I'll find a way to get it to work.

So, right now, I've editted just some sprites and I have some other ideas.
One of my other ideas was as a weapon, a "Pile of Bones" or just "Kakeru's Bones" could be a blade clone.

I hope this is a good idea, and I hope to someday finish this.

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Azurillkirby said:
I have an idea for what to do for the first thing, but it's not full yet.
Can you actually tell us your idea since that's the whole point of this subforum an' all, to build upon ideas. <_<

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:18 AM
"Huzzah!"
Azurillkirby said:
I made the first room Jenka's House, but there is already an event there, because I'm using Jenka's Nightmare as the mod I'm using Cave Editor on, because I couldn't find out how exactly to get the game to start when I editted sprites and I'm lazy.

Umm, did you get permission for that?

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:20 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Modding mods is generally a bad idea because it's unpredictable. You never know exactly what's been changed or such. Also it's apparently frowned upon. Also, fixing a regular doukutsu is like, two buttons in CE, doesn't get much easier..

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Mike: I'm just using it as a basis. Once I figure out exactly how to get the game to work when I edit sprites in Cave Story, I'll start over and do that.

andwhyisit: Well, just for a short intro and to make sure the person gets the first weapon, Hajime would go and get the newspaper or something like that for Jenka, and when Jenka reads that, she learns that Quote defeated Ballos, and decides to move/go on vacation to somewhere.
That's my first idea of story, it won't be that long to get past it, I think.

Noxid: Yeah.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
... I'm sorry, but I don't consider "Yeah" a legitimate response. To anyone.

You really should start by Studying TSC to understand how things work, if you haven't already, It's much simpler than using someone else's mod without permission...

You'd get far less flak for it in the long run, too.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:59 AM
Actually, now after doing nothing to it, I editted sprites on an actual cave story file and got it to work.
I don't know how, but I'm not gonna argue.
Now, my next step (after reinserting Hajime as Quote sprites) is to get the intro area to start at Jenka's House.

Is there a way to make no event happen so that I stand there without a black screen... no wait wrong section... not necessary, I'll probably find out myself.

Oh, and about the "Yeah" I didn't know how else to reply.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:42 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Volley said:
... I'm sorry, but I don't consider "Yeah" a legitimate response. To anyone.

You really should start by Studying TSC to understand how things work, if you haven't already, It's much simpler than using someone else's mod without permission...

You'd get far less flak for it in the long run, too.
Why do you need permission to learn from other people's work? If I hadn't looked at other people's Lua scripts I'd never have learned how to writ my own.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Mr. Fist said:
Why do you need permission to learn from other people's work? If I hadn't looked at other people's LUA scripts I'd never have learned how to make my own.

Well, myself, I do learn things sometimes much easier on my own with experimenting, but that's not to say that it makes it right to... oh who am I kidding?

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
You need drive to win

Mr. Fist said:
Why do you need permission to learn from other people's work? If I hadn't looked at other people's LUA scripts I'd never have learned how to make my own.
No one said anything about it being wrong to learn from someone else's mod, just modding another mod and releasing it.
Plus, you don't really need to look at other mods to understand much, you can learn it all from old threads or the original game itself {Dang chalk full of TSC, and you should have already played it and understand what's happening} or even posting if it's something entirely different.
The only things I could think of that might require help would be something really large, like the Tetris room in WTF Story, or DB's Willow and the Storm stuff, it's looking really complicated...

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Can post title be edited? Whoa!

Have you found out some idea what "first weapon" Hajime will be using? I think the blade can be a bit powerful in the beginning of the game...

How about having the Fireball, reworked into something like "Fire Breath Mask"? That would allow you to have Star Blocks blocking off passages, so that some areas would be unaccessible until you've gotten the Bone blade.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that the best way of making the startup event occur properly would be to find out what event is called in the Start Point room, then copy that event from the script and paste it in Jenka's House, editing what you see fit to look right (like, going to Kazuma's transmission).

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM
I was gonna put the bone weapon as first, but I would probably make it less powerful.

The point I have for at the beginning is that after you give Jenka the newspaper, you go to an entirely different place, so you don't go back. Probably.

Oh, and I already had an idea for the fireball, I thought of something like a "Fetch Ball" or something like that.

Finally (probably), sometime soon, I'll upload my first "Progress video" where I'll show the starting area and the main character sprites.

EDIT- Oh, and for the beginning event, there won't really be one. I'll just make him appear in the room after the player clicks "New" (I've already gotten that to work). The "event" would be later, after (not much) gameplay.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
This is a great idea for a mod. You can use the fireball as a first weapon (like Yal said), and shorten its range.

Anyways as for screen being black in the start zone, put in a
Code:
<FAI0004<END

in the script.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM
Yeah, my last post didn't state much... so I deleted it.

So, I'm about to upload my first Progress Video to YouTube, showing the main character's sprites and the Doghouse.

BTW, the quality will suck considerring I can't screen record. I have to use a camcorder. IMO, it's better than a webcam, right?

EDIT-Here's the first progress video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKQdba-ddWU

May 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wow puppy story looks a lot better than I thought it would be so far :(

May 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Yeah. There are some issues with some of the sprites, like Nene (sleeping mimiga) is a pixel too high, and Mick (treasure chest) didn't go back in the chest after talking to him, but I fixed those. (After the video)

Oh, right now, I'm making the "Sandy Zone".
It's not much, but it's just for the purpose of going from Jenka's House to get the newspaper.
As well, I thought of instead of finding, Hajime could get a newspaper from the Colons. (Jenka probably knew the Colons, anyway.)

In the Sandy Zone, I don't know if I should put enemies or not. Like I said earlier (I think), you get a blade weapon (not as powerful because it's the beginning). It probably won't be a long passage, so I'm not sure.

I would of said some of this stuff earlier, but whatever. I guess I didn't feel like double posting/editting.

EDIT: [Just wanna point out puppy in sig, I'm using it for a Science Project. Don't ask, I just love the puppies.]

May 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Make star blocks unbreakable and create puppy blocks that you can break instead. This allows you to add numerous new hidden pathways and heavily expand upon the sand zone. Why use the same old maps when you can build a sand zone that is both new to the player as well as familiar.

May 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM
andwhyisit said:
Make star blocks unbreakable and create puppy blocks that you can break instead. This allows you to add numerous new hidden pathways and heavily expand upon the sand zone. Why use the same old maps when you can build a sand zone that is both new to the player as well as familiar.

You see, I want to really just wanted to use the Sandy Zone just to say, "We're leaving" or something like that.

Oh, update video 2 was up a few days ago, sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tVuwqkUVhE

Update Video 4 will probably be up today or tomorrow, considerring I've already finished what I was going to do for that update video

[BTW, Life Capsules are Puppy Treats]

May 5, 2010 at 1:20 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Hey, that looks great so far! I love the idea of playing as Jenka's puppy

First off, I'd like to point out that the doghouse is WAY to tall. It's a dog house: it should be about 5 charecters tall at most. Either that or change the overworld size for it.
Secondly, I'm sort of disspointed on the main map. Here are a couple ideas for changing it (if you feel so inclined)
1) keep the sand zone simmilar to it's previous layout, but remove the star blocks and enemies.
2) in the little crevas where you have to enter to get to Jenka's house in the original game, put a couple star blocks: this will ensure that the player has to pick up the bones attack.

Well, that's it. Look's great so far, keep it up!

May 6, 2010 at 12:11 AM
explosive said:
Hey, that looks great so far! I love the idea of playing as Jenka's puppy

First off, I'd like to point out that the doghouse is WAY to tall. It's a dog house: it should be about 5 charecters tall at most. Either that or change the overworld size for it.
Secondly, I'm sort of disspointed on the main map. Here are a couple ideas for changing it (if you feel so inclined)
1) keep the sand zone simmilar to it's previous layout, but remove the star blocks and enemies.
2) in the little crevas where you have to enter to get to Jenka's house in the original game, put a couple star blocks: this will ensure that the player has to pick up the bones attack.

Well, that's it. Look's great so far, keep it up!

I was gonna put the breakable block by the Colon's house.
Haven't got up to making the video up yet, for I'm busy this week. I'll probably put it up Saturday or Sunday (Jenka's House and Colons' House)