Proposed migration to xenForo

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It is ;-;
Correct. The image IS transparent. No I don't mean the original before you uploaded it, I am talking about the image in your post header right now. You can see through it.

The reason why it looks white when it really isn't is because in a sense the containing box for the transparent image in the post header has a white background.

I'll resolve this later when I have the time.

It's fixed.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM
Based Member
If a post link was broken then please let me know where the broken link was found so that I can actually do something about it. The entire reason why I changed IPB links to XF links instead of relying on the url redirecter was to prevent this exact issue.
If you look under the list of nominees in this thread and this post, and look under "best post," most (all?) links just link to the thread it originated from. In fact, when I look at the BBCode of my post, it seems as if those links to the posts have been changed to simply links to the threads.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Alrighty, so, now that things have settled down a bit, I'd like to do up a list of things of things that still need doing (and/or things we may have to live with) for ease of tracking. Please feel free to mention anything I'm missing because I probably won't remember it all at once:

-Changing several usernames that revertred to login names during the transfer
-Friends list now arbitrarily split into followers and followees
-Limits on characters and BBCode not working in profile posts (also galleries)
-Some other things in user profile fields that got messed up
-Reponses to profile posts don't bump them up in the new content list
-No double post automerger (seriously though this is no excuse for all the double posts that have been happening lately)
-Polls have to be completely emptied in order to be changed properly
-Top daily posts list is gone
-Various mod/admin thingies
-Forum rules update (after most other things have been sorted)

Shouldn't take too long now until we have the ship steady :debug:

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM
Based Member
One thing you didn't list that I might mention is that when you view a forum, you can't list threads by start date, number of views, replies, or any property other than how recent the last post was. Also, this isn't a huge deal, but there doesn't seem to be an option for viewing only members on the member list whose usernames start with a certain letter.

Another thing I might mention is the issue of links to specific posts not working. This is very important to me because I made a lot of posts throughout the IP Board era that linked to other specific posts and VM conversations, so a lot of them have broken links right now.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:51 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
One thing you didn't list that I might mention is that when you view a forums, you can't list threads by start date, number of views, replies, or any property other than how recent the last post was.
Actually, if you go to the bottom of the page, you can click on "Thread Display Options" which gives you all of those options.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM
Based Member
Actually, if you go to the bottom of the page, you can click on "Thread Display Options" which gives you all of those options.
I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Threads no longer have the option to give them a rating out of five stars.

How will the new people find happiness and joy in feeling like they have the say on what's good and bad (even though no one even regularly noticed its actual existence).

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It appears that some members cannot change their avatars…?

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:41 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Threads no longer have the option to give them a rating out of five stars.

How will the new people find happiness and joy in feeling like they have the say on what's good and bad (even though no one even regularly noticed its actual existence).
rating threads was the best feature because the old shitters like me would rate bad threads 1 star and the new shitters we were making fun of were none the wiser

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If you look under the list of nominees in this thread and this post, and look under "best post," most (all?) links just link to the thread it originated from. In fact, when I look at the BBCode of my post, it seems as if those links to the posts have been changed to simply links to the threads.
Links in both posts are fixed. I'm also slowly working to restore any broken "direct to post" links.

Only approx. 126 posts left to fix links in.

Also I would be most grateful if anyone can help out with this:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/truncated-posts.6098/

EDIT: All truncated posts are fixed and 91 posts left to fix links in.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
About fifteen minutes ago, I received an email with a weekly posts digest from a thread I had been watching with that option set. However, it's showing a digest of posts in the thread from August 16 to August 21. I had assumed the weekly digests option was removed from the migration, since I had been getting an email for every reply on that thread and the only options I see for thread watching involve just enabling email notification or disabling it, with no weekly digest. It was strange to suddenly get a weekly digests post just now.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:56 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Sep 17, 2015 at 3:47 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
It seems that the weekly digests are coming from the old IPB forums (I still have a disabled copy of the old forums on the server for comparison when handling post-migration issues).

EDIT: The last of the post links are fixed. I also fixed whatever links to profile posts I could find.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:05 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Bump.

So it's been several months since the migration, and I don't believe anyone has brought up the fact that the most recent threads list on the index page got replaced with a list for the most recent profile posts. After briefly talking to the Skype group about it, a few of us agreed that the most recent threads list is much preferred. For one, a new thread is much more significant than a new profile post, and I find that keeping track of new threads is a lot more easy with that list. Plus, some people (a lot of newer members, I find) tend to post a lot of profile comments at once. This'll clog up that list and then people will start complaining.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Can we replace the recent profile posts list on the front page of the forums with the recent threads list we had on IPBoard?