Proper Balrog Backstory.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
What I think, is that balrog was originally an actual toaster. but he was lifeless. no eyes, no happy mouth, no feet and arms. he was literally just a toaster.
that toaster, belonged to misery. one day, she was practicing magic and he spell hit balrog. then he grew and grew and grew. then after about 30 seconds of powder and magic flashes, there he was. he stood confusingly, and was also somewhat angry. he had no idea wo he was, and misery decided to "create" her own special memories for balrog, thus telling him that he was miserys slave. this is also the reason balrog got pulled into the whole, demon crown thing: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/4823/

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Balrog is soap. He evolved from the primordial soap. :orangebell:

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
trickybilly said:
Balrog is soap. He evolved from the primordial soap. :orangebell:
than why does he look metallic?

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Your Theory:

IS WRONG.

This theory is right:

Balrog is the son of Ballos, but when he was killed, Misery put Balrog's consciousness into a robot body (not to mention the ability to make toast :D) and Balrog became the Balrog we know and love!

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
._. that's just scary

I like my backstory better

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Both of your theories are WRONG.

This theory is right:

Once upon a time, a man wanted to make an awesome character based on a bar of soap. But if you give soap arms and legs, it's not a bar of soap anymore. So Balrog was created. And to this day, I still wonder if it's true that Balrog means king of soap. If it does, I have a better backstory.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
BLACK_WOLF__large.jpg NO

Umm hello?

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM
anyway, it was just my idea of a backstory. pixel probably did have a good idea for a story, but just decided to let you make one up yourself.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dunc2403 said:
Balrog = Barurogu = King of the bars = King of the soap bars

You can be quiet about things you don't know, Magician.
See I've seen this argument for awhile now, but Barurogu = King of the bars? Has anyone ever checked this?? Because when I check it out, it doesn't match. At best, Barurogu would mean "bar log", which doesn't really mean much. Reading the japanese wikipedia page, it says this:

当初は「プー」と命名されたが、J・R・R・トールキンの作品に登場する怪物「バルログ」には悪党の手下とい
うイメージがあることから「バルログ」に変更、これが命名の由来となった。

Originally he was called Puu, but the Balrog monsters who appeared in J R R Tolkein's works had the image of a villian's subordinate, so it was changed to Balrog, and this is the origin of his name.
This is cited from an interview with pixel in japanese here, so this appears to be the real reason he was named as such.

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
See I've seen this argument for awhile now, but Barurogu = King of the bars? Has anyone ever checked this?? Because when I check it out, it doesn't match. At best, Barurogu would mean "bar log", which doesn't really mean much. Reading the japanese wikipedia page, it says this:

This is cited from an interview with pixel in japanese here, so this appears to be the real reason he was named as such.
I guess that kinda makes sense...

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
TheFailedMagician said:
than why does he look metallic?
I always thought Balrog was a toaster too. Pixel said that Balrog is soap, so I had to accept it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 7:38 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Balrog is toaster king. Your silly translation is wrong.
PLUS A KOOL-AID MAN!

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
DON'T REMIND US.

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I totally support any theory that involves giving life to soap.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
He died then he got soapified
tada

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Jul 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
If you take Pixel's rendition to be canon, Balrog is either undefined or soap.

If you take Nicalis' rendition to be canon, Balrog is robotic/an enchanted life form (his sprite's texture in 3DS cave story is metal and he makes a metallic "clang" when he falls over in the CS3DS trailer... teaser... thing.

But all this is irrelevant because all you need to know is that Balrog is my 1 tru husbando.

Jul 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Enemies in the beta version of Cave Story, called Puus, looked like simpler versions of Balrog. They were based on bars of soap, and Balrog is an "evolved" version of a Puu. So Blargo's design is loosely based on soap, but that doesn't mean he is soap.

Balrog is not a toaster or a suitcase or soap. He's a Balrog. He's also clearly robotic, what with his arm slots and missile launcher.

I really wish people would stop imposing backstories on Balrog. You probably have a headcannon, so fine, be like that, but he doesn't need an origin story. He is perfect in the time and place that he appears.