PROJECT La-Mulana Translation: Please see!

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:52 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
diph.php

Yes, I'm here to ask you, one and all, to help me with aiding an ailing game, one that has a gameplay very similar to Cave Story, it's creators, devoted to provide great fun for the players of it, which is hampered by the fact that it is all in Japanese.

What makes this game so different from Cave Story is that it's actually larger, with less conversations and a more Castlevania-feel, and the fact that the creators have actually made an editor which you can download at their website.

Oh, their website, it goes down PERMENANTLY near December, they are losing funds to keep it up, the poor guys have worked so hard on such a wonderful game, and I'm afraid I'm not gonna let their master-piece fizzle away.

It's a crying shame, the game is extremely modable, each graphic file is a bitmap, and the editor is extremely in-depth, although almost impossible to use due to lack of English, now, this is what I request of anyone who can help, we need assembly hackers and so forth to insert text, and take text out, so we can translate it, the Japanese font patch for Windows doesn't seem to want to install itself onto my PC, but I can view it in a browser for some reason, but non-the-less I will try to pull as much as I can for this project.

Seriously, this game is crying out for some love, guys like ShiningPhantom, RuneLancer, etc, you are all very experienced in moddifying Cave Story, changing values with HEX editing, etc, I think you guys would love playing this game, the amount of devotion put into it is fantastic, but enough of this rambling, let's see some screenshots.

p8529-1-0101.gif

p8529-2-03.gif

p8529-3-14.gif

The main website is here;

http://naramura.kdn.ne.jp/msx3/g3project/

Direct Downloads;

Game http://naramura.kdn.ne.jp/msx3/g3project/lamulana/lamulana.zip

Editor http://naramura.kdn.ne.jp/msx3/g3project/sayonara/la_edit.zip

The creators are having a joke currently with the picture at the homepage, they've dressed the characters in Tu-Tus, so don't be put off by it :(.

Seriously guys, the website shuts down in December, if we can translate this project, maybe we can perserve the game, keep it so that other people can have the chance to play it, maybe like the page for Cave Story, I really want to see this game given the full credit it deserves, if you want to help, please just PM me, I'll tell you some more details about it.

[EDIT]God damn it [ I M G ] doesn't seem to work here...

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:15 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Interesting. I'll have to give this one a spin sometime. Glad you cleared up that main page image being a joke artwork and all. It was literally a WTF! moment upon seeing that. lol

As for the [ img ] tag, perhaps it is turned off in "Mirai Gamer" forums section. Not sure why. I'll try and look into it later.

-SkyeWelse

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:55 AM
SkyeWelse said:
Interesting. I'll have to give this one a spin sometime. Glad you cleared up that main page image being a joke artwork and all. It was literally a WTF! moment upon seeing that. lol

As for the [ img ] tag, perhaps it is turned off in "Mirai Gamer" forums section. Not sure why. I'll try and look into it later.

-SkyeWelse

Heh heh, I knew when I saw it I freaked out a little...

The Editor for it is a easier to use, as far as I can tell to make and edit NPCs you just click and drag, to move from map places you just push these directional buttons (show up as ???? for me) and they will take you to the next map piece.

Now, for the actual gameplay, it plays a lot like Cave Story, except you do get a sort of "equipment" in the form of MSX cards. These cards do different things (to save you need to go west of the town and smash a pot, get the 10 gold from it and go into the house, and buy the Card that costs 10. This is a save card and you have to equip it and go into the Village Elders hut to save.)

Also, the game is a fair bit more challanging than Cave Story, I've not finished it yet, but that's more likely due to a puzzle I can't understand (Involving Sol Month and Star.)

Boss battles are also very nifty. One boss I fought in the game was this giant gecko-like creature (huge, took up most of the screen) that was chasing me down this mine-shaft, really fun :D.

Also, one of the most helpful utilities you can get early in the game (When you first enter the ruins) is the Saintly Cup, which can be used to warp to places in the ruins. To use it you have to find a spiked grave that looks like it's wearing a crown. Go onto your inventory screen and then press a number from 0 to 9 and it's then placed as a warp spot. To warp there, you press the button on the inventory menu again.

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:44 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh well iam gong to play it and maybe help with translation

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:47 PM
What? No more people? This is such a shame guys :D.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:42 AM
Is this another translation other than the aeon genesis one? If so aeon genesis have already translated it, and I'm playing it now (Though I'm stuck, can't find enough cash for a glyph reader >.>)

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I'm glad to see people who can't speak English are posting on three-year-old threads.
Maybe someone will notice this and remember it though.