• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Project Insanity -1.3.1-

Did you enjoy the mod?

• I got under 10 minutes in Time Attack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked the challenge

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It was ok I guess

• Not very much, no

• Why does this mod exist

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Didn't Aar do this on Modding Shitstorm?

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:37 PM
bored to death
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I played through your mod, it had quite a few good ideas! However, there are also a lot of very noticeable design flaws and (unintentional?) plagiarism. I made a video showing all of my critiques.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:38 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
17 MINUTES I'M DYING
I played through your mod, it had quite a few good ideas! However, there are also a lot of very noticeable design flaws and (unintentional?) plagiarism. I made a video showing all of my critiques.
Also ChampionDude345 says the plagiarism was unintentional ( we're brothers so he's watching me write this post)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Also ChampionDude345 says the plagiarism was unintentional ( we're brothers so he's watching me write this post)
How do you unintentionally steal something? Is it like, not crediting someone or forgetting to remove files?

Also, if anyone wanted to know what the secret in this mod was, I made a video about what the secret was.
EDIT: Also, OP is (or was) depressed according to a file in the Music directory.
Code:
I guess I can't hide it anymore, right?
This was the start...
The start of my story
Yeah, you guessed it
IM the depressed one
ChampionDude345...
Or, Preston Cole, If you like!
I'm Preston
I'm the boy
I'm the modder
I'm the end of this story

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:02 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
How do you unintentionally steal something? Is it like, not crediting someone or forgetting to remove files?

Also, if anyone wanted to know what the secret in this mod was, I made a video about what the secret was.
EDIT: Also, OP is (or was) depressed according to a file in the Music directory.
Code:
I guess I can't hide it anymore, right?
This was the start...
The start of my story
Yeah, you guessed it
IM the depressed one
ChampionDude345...
Or, Preston Cole, If you like!
I'm Preston
I'm the boy
I'm the modder
I'm the end of this story
*Clap Clap Clap*

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:42 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I would like to take my high score for the normal mode speed run, please.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:13 PM
1.1.01 released.
DifficultPit96's high score added.

Watch out, just like VGD, RareBeeph will take over

(Aar has now been credited correctly as well)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:37 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I got another record :p

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Are you going to speedrun the good ending next?
I don't think the mod lets you trigger the good ending in time attack mode; I'd probably have to do a real-time run of Story Mode to do that. Maybe though!

May 1, 2018 at 1:47 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:11 AM
  • 1.1.2 will be release in a moment. Includes...
  • New Characters (Replaced some quotes and curly)
  • Two new modes: Easier Time Attack and Boss Attack
High scores will include:
Main Game Normal
Main Game Hard
ETA Normal
ETA Hard
Boss Attack

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
How do I get a better ending than Normal?

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:06 AM
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:55 PM
Mod was updated to 1.2.0! This update should be more relieving for most people.

Dec 9, 2018 at 6:11 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
At first, I was a bit reluctant to continue playing through the mod with all the random enemies spammed at the beginning, but it got really good after the Doctor fight. There's also a fair bit of character dialogue sprinkled in that add a lot of personality to the characters, rather than just filling the generic over-used"silent amnesiac protagonist" trope. Honestly, I would have quit at "True Hell" if it weren't for all those save points / health refills, so overall I felt the difficulty was fun. I particularly like how it's similar to the original Hell, yet much more intense and, of course, hellish. And after going through a physical hell, you go through a mental hell. That story at the end was really emotional though and I honestly wasn't expecting anything that deep from a Cave Story mod.

But then all of a sudden...
...I'm filled with fear.
That freaking backwards music in the cabin, oh my god. I was a bit scared of playing this mod due to 1) the title screen featuring DDLC music and 2) the forums talking about some creepy hidden .png image, but this takes the cake. I literally just felt goosebumps all over my arms just because I was so freaked out. And then I talk to the cat and he says "Nothing is real", game tiles start suddenly spawning everywhere and I'm forced back to that dang DDLC title screen. And once I'm back, I I have to walk through this long scary hallway, expecting some jumpscare .png of Sayori hanging herself to suddenly pop up as the narrator became more and more aggressive and firm in his actions.
(And to clarify, a ".png of Sayori hanging herself" did not appear, nor did any jumpscare, unless you count talking to the cat the first time).

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the best part of this mod was that horror at the end. I've never felt that scared playing a video game ever since playing well... DDLC itself . And I mean that as a compliment, since the mod overall is a great experience, above average compared to all of those annoying Kaizo instant-death "challenge" mods that flood these forums. Sure, I've seen my fair share of "horror" mods, but there's just something so scary about playing a mod that you don't expect to abruptly turn scary. So I hope that, by mentioning this one scary part of the game, that I haven't spoiled the experience for anyone else. What made me so frightened was how nobody talked about that part, since all of the discussion was before the Sept 27th 2018 update. Which, now that I think about it, was a very clever thing to do on the creator's part. Nobody expects the mod to change so drastically after an update, so they play it and all of a sudden their game is glitching out in a horrifying way, they check the forums for relief, but there's nothing covering it.

It's part of the reason why I waited so long to comment on the thread, but considering how old this mod is, someone's going to end up covering it eventually, so I want that first comment to give this part the recognition it deserves. I just really want to emphasis how well-done that part was. Even now the door to my bedroom is still locked- and has been for the past half hour; I still feel too uneasy to open it. I've never even been a big fan of horror, so I'm surprised by how enjoyable that scary part was.

Also, I just wanted to say that I love all of the secrets in the game. Unlike a lot of mods I see that try too hard to be their own thing, this one takes pride in the fact that it's a Cave Story mod by how it hides it's secrets (such as being able to fly above the wall and walk on the top of the screen to access hidden items like the Booster upgrade).

Besides removing one or two Night Ghosts at the beginning, my only other critique would be to not hide the HP Regeneration Ring. I feel that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy this mod as much as I did if I hadn't gone off the main path to retrieve it. I could see someone missing this, frankly essential item, due to all the useless (albeit quite funny) "Polar Star trade" chests, so I feel it should be made accessible via the main route.

In general, this is one of the best mods I've ever played and I feel, now that it's been updated, it doesn't warrant all of the hate that it received in the past anymore. Especially that review video that Aar made, I personally find that a bit too nitpicky and biased. But I guess that's outdated now, since most of the critique has been fixed. (And I don't mean to personally single him out by the way, it's just that his review was the most popular and covered a lot of what other people have been complaining about on this thread).

Also, is there any way to beat the Bonus Episode? It looks a bit incomplete when I fall through the gaping hole, lose track of my character amongst the background and randomly drown off-screen.

Recommendation to anyone else who wants to try out this mod...
If anyone else wants to play this mod, then I recommend that they don't make the same mistake that I did and
play it close to night. I still feel as though someone's watching me behind my back, but every time I turn around, they're under my bed again.
Also, make sure to go out of your way to find the HP Regeneration Ring, it's well worth it!

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
What made me so frightened was how nobody talked about that part, since all of the discussion was before the Sept 27th 2018 update. Which, now that I think about it, was a very clever thing to do on the creator's part. Nobody expects the mod to change so drastically after an update, so they play it and all of a sudden their game is glitching out in a horrifying way, they check the forums for relief, but there's nothing covering it.
uh
that part isnt new to this update

I don't know why nobody mentioned it, but I replayed this mod a few weeks ago to get the true ending and found what you described. To be honest, my reaction was more like "huh, weird" than scared, as it felt quite out of place and nothing came of it, but to each their own.

Alright, time for the actual "review" thing.

WARNING: MANY WALLS OF TEXT INCOMING

-Near the beginning in the moving blocks section, you can walk above the screen, but you can't fall off the map.
-the doggos are amazing
-Aqua's dialogue is super charming. Maybe it's just my weird sense of humor, but things like "Fineeee" and "Why does this World hate Me?" are super funny to me.
-You took out that dumb arrow guy that you can't see coming. Good on you.
-I like how in True Hell you made ways to avoid the Deleets. I'm assuming you're doing that for a pacifist run of some sort.
-Oh hey! I checked to see if you still had that pit over the wall in Depressional Statement, and what do you know! There's an extra room there! That's cool.

So I know Aar or SeasonsOfDestiny probably pointed most of these out, but I'd still like to mention them. Most of them are just nitpicks anyways, and most of them I doubt you'll actually fix, since they would require a lot of effort on a mod (I'm assuming) you're pretty much done with.

-The Doctor's dialogue is either word for word taken from vanilla CS, or super generic and boring. Maybe you could give him a short conversation with Aqua, or maybe a silly one-liner if you wanna make it quick for speedrunning.
-The physics area is a cool concept, but it would help if the physics were reverted to normal whenever you tried to go right, through a Yes/No prompt.
-The right area in the physics level that breaks your booster is kinda dumb, just like in WTF Story. Not because it takes your booster away, but because it comes out of nowhere. If you're going to do something like that in a future mod, either have it make sense in the story or do something cool with it. (Example for the second one: have an area that seems like it requires the booster early on, then take the booster away for a short time and have the player go back through that area. You can then be super clever and design the level with both booster and non-booster users alike, just much harder without the booster.
-The Rolling-and-breakable-blocks "puzzle" in the physics level is probably the worst designed segment in the whole mod. It's completely mindless since you can just get more hearts that are right after it, and it's practically impossible to not get hit.
-You can go through the floating slopes in the area right after the Misery fight.
-If it weren't for the names, I wouldn't know I was in a space station.
-fixed "Nothing but SPACE ROCK up there..."
0/10 worst mawd evar
-Keep the screen-wrap thingy to maps that are one screen wide. Otherwise the player gets a headache and/or can't see enemies on the other side of the map.
-I know True Hell was originally the hardest thing ever, but you toned it down so much it's easier than most of what came before it.
-The Regen-Ring breaks the game. I would say you could make it mandatory and design the mod around it, but that's kinda impossible with how it works. Maybe you should just make it a really hard to find secret and give the player a bit more health by default.
-Depressional Statement... hoo boy.
It's a story about you, put into a mod that had no story before this.
It doesn't work. At all.
It comes out of nowhere and it stops the gameplay for a few minutes in a mod that's otherwise nothing but gameplay.
-The Love Locket looks like poo on Aqua's facepic.
-The Booster Upgrade Chip is pointless. There's no platforming or fighting once you get it until after you already have the Infinite Booster Chip.
-Might not be a flaw, but I couldn't get the Debug Cat and glitchy stuff to happen this time around. It happened last time I played and for GSun, so I don't know what to make of it.

-If you die before saving after a new game, the warning message and subsequent starting room will continue the death jingle.
-I suggest you use <MOV instead of <TRA when the player falls down pits and "respawns." Using <TRA makes enemies respawn, and that usually sucks for the player.
-The game reverts your speed and jump height in the physics area even if it's already normal.
-There's an extra line break at the "Got Regen-Ring" thingy.

It's good. It has a lot of flaws, but it's not bad by any means. The story is pretty bad and some of the level design needs work, but overall it's alright. Not much else to say.

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:36 PM
Version 1.3.0 NOW OUT!

Patch Notes:

-Fixed a "typo" (@StudioDixel Asked for it to be done, so it was): in Outer Struggles
-Removed the Bonus Episode door (Don't count on it coming)
-Added an ending map for getting all the trophys
-Added dialouge before the Doctor
-No more depression.
-Removed uunndertalle (Vomits)
-Added some new music for the mod
-New title screen music for OGG soundtrack, and new screen in general. (I don't like DDLC anymore. Luckily.)
-Uh horror is gone I guess.

This was rushed, so PLEASE report bugs as fast as you can!