• Most people probably don't realise this, but this forum has had two editors for a number of years. One is the xenForo default editor, and the other is a custom editor I made years back I called BBCEd.

All the settings for which editor you use was lost during the upgrade. You can find the setting under Account Settings > Preferences > Editor.

Project Insanity -1.3.1-

Did you enjoy the mod?

• I got under 10 minutes in Time Attack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I liked the challenge

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It was ok I guess

• Not very much, no

• Why does this mod exist

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Didn't Aar do this on Modding Shitstorm?

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Old topic!
The last post in this thread is over 60 days old. Posting in this thread will be considered a bump, so please make an attempt to be courteous if you go ahead with it.

If the last post is over 6 months old, it may instead be a better idea to start a new topic. If you aren't sure about what to do, feel free to ask a staff member for help, or try to locate a 'general questions'-type thread if it exists in this (sub-)forum.
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:21 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:04 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Why don't you credit @Noxid for the modified DoConfig you used? You wouldn't want that to come off as plagiarism, now would you?
upload_2018-4-17_16-3-30.png
And, of course, the completely obligatory unrelated DDLC reference.

And now I'm gonna play the mod. Get ready for a review.

Attachments

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:26 PM
Pokemon Master
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
While I have not finished playing the mod yet, I do have some suggestions for the first two stages.
1. The first room is very anti-Fireball, I know that this is very likely your intention to use only that in that stage, but it just seems weird that the first stage is more fitting for the Blade and the second stage is more fitting for the Fireball. I would totally suggest having both rooms switched for those weapons. It's just rather unfair trying to kill those Munchlaxes shooting their seed at you as you're trying to shoot them with little to no succession. (Also, this isn't part of the suggestion, but those "dog" statues are really Mimiga statues, just to give you a heads up)

2. I am interested in your anti-death concept for the pits. Though there is a rather huge flaw in them, you have them use <TRA to move the player to a certain spawn point, which can be bad if it's right before a wave of enemies, and you'd have to fight them all over again because <TRA resets the room to how it is before you entered it. I recommend to prevent any tedium by replacing any instances of <TRA with <MOV as the screen is faded out. That way, it can make the sections become easier as the enemies you killed are still dead, and it can also prevent any farming exploits just because the enemies reset.
I will continue playing the mod, but I just wanted to give you my feedback on the first two stages so far.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:33 PM
Why don't you credit @Noxid for the modified DoConfig you used? You wouldn't want that to come off as plagiarism, now would you?
View attachment 4726
And, of course, the completely obligatory unrelated DDLC reference.

And now I'm gonna play the mod. Get ready for a review.
*uhhhhh* I thought hidden files wouldn't pop up on Dropbox.
Also don't turn on hidden files.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:26 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
*uhhhhh* I thought hidden files wouldn't pop up on Dropbox.
I've played DDLC before. Why did you include them in the first place?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:44 AM
I've played DDLC before. Why did you include them in the first place?
It's the other hidden files I'm worried about. The ddlc reference is not that bad.

Apr 18, 2018 at 12:48 AM
It's the other hidden files I'm worried about. The ddlc reference is not that bad.
You mean the Natsuki's face chr file thing? The poem? Or something else?

Also, you never answered me on crediting Noxid...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:56 AM
You mean the Natsuki's face chr file thing? The poem? Or something else?

Also, you never answered me on crediting Noxid...
Noxid: Didn't know I should credit him

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:57 AM
Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:04 AM
Sayori. Whatever. You know what I'm talking about.

Review
^^^^^
Can we just...forget about this conversation please? A bunch of the secrets are for the players to find...

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:07 AM
Can we just...forget about this conversation please? A bunch of the secrets are for the players to find...
Yeah, I apologize. But it really isn't that hard to edit the post and credit noxid...

Apr 18, 2018 at 1:09 AM
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:13 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's a bit hard to keep something a secret if you have hidden files displayed by default like I do. Anyways, I'm still playing through the mod. Expect a review sometime tonight.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:37 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
As I promised, here are my mod notes and review for Project Insanity. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to split this up into two posts due to my notes hitting the image limit.

Here we go.

Everything game in its own folder. Off to a good start.

wew
Bit of a shame to see that the myChar is just a Curly recolor compared to all of the other custom stuff present, though.

Spaces go after ellipses.

"Allows a minimum of short flight" sounds a bit awkward.

You might want to go back through the text and stop treating regular nouns like they're proper nouns. "Novel", "Manga", and "Chest" shouldn't be capitalized.

crikey, talk about a hectic beginning

not really much of a secret, now is it?
This place also makes an excellent place to get to max weapon energy due to how the butes always jump over you at the very start.

bunny*

too
much
yarn

okay what
You can fly over the top of the map to get to here, but the trigger you put right above the sparkle sends you forwards into the level. Instead, you have to unlock a different path to get here naturally.

oh sweet
Also for some reason the life refill station won't light up.

Tiling's a bit flat and bland at the end here.

Your use of triggers to move the player around is really disorientating. I jump upwards from here and get booted back down to the life refill station with all the enemies respawned.

Sudden shift to unedited Labyrinth enemies is a bit jarring.
Also not a fan of how you're IMMEDIATELY in danger of taking damage with each map transition from the looks of it.

C'mon, you couldn't have replaced the Blade's Level 3 projectile? Literally anything would be better than something that's invisible.

also hi gaudi
it kinda just fell out of the sky

Times I've boosted out of the map: 2

what is THIS

if you fall at any point, everything respawns
no Arms Barrier, either, so there's nothing to soften the blows of these mid- to late-game tier enemies

It's generally good practice to replace <MSG with <MS3 if the resulting text box will obscure the player and/or what is being focused on.
Also should've probably removed the door before the following line of "Huh. Neat."

instant death (with the last save being all the way in the previous screen)
my favorite flavor of death

Times I've boosted out of the map: 3

Why did you put a HV trigger here to stop the player from leaving the map entirely, but allow them to boost off the screen?

what the heck are YOU doing here?

this fight literally The Doctor down to the letter

YOU DEFEATED

since when were there clouds in outer space?

Sky blue on light blue is a very questionable choice of colors. Bit hard to see them if the lightest clouds are behind them.

It is rather difficult to get to the life refill station and save disk without hitting the HV trigger directly above them. Try lowering them by a couple tiles.

bork

owo what's this??

oh sweet
Also, it's weirding me out a bit how you aren't removing the sparkle entities until AFTER you pick up the items.

my not-curly senses are tingling...

The map above (read: The Doctor's arena) may not have anything in it now, but why block me off entirely? Can't I just backtrack for the sake of backtracking?

me too!

oh
miss me with that

lowkey glad that someone finally remembered to change the snake's description

cool
can't wait to somehow die due to this

*notices*

i have made a mistake

You can revert to normal physics more than once.

could you don't?

i concur

So many flat walls.

GAOOO!

neat

neater

You didn't remove the sparkle, though, and I can use it to receive the fixed Booster multiple times. Doesn't have an impact on the game itself, but it's likely unintentional.

but i already did that
Also, I accidentally skipped over this text the first time I passed through here since it was randomly <TUR'd.

>extreme jump height boost
I guess that explains being able to revert physics more than once, though you should've added a flag to check if you actually need the reset.

boof byork borf

no
anything but that
NOT THE HITLER BLOCKS

henlo

Again with things being capitalized when they shouldn't be, and jeez Not-Curly is bloodthirsty.

Really not a fan of how most of the text for these bosses are copied right from the base game. Unless that's intentional, but even then...

In other news...

YOU DEFEATED

I was a bit too distracted by the critter to the right of where you spawn in threatening to push me past the HV trigger and off the map to capture it in action. Miiight want to fix that.
Also what's with the aggressive removal of backtracking?

Reminder that you will always glitch through the bottoms of slopes like these.

excuse me what

oh boy, time to die in one hit to everything

for what purpose?

HECK YEAH
and I found a Turbocharge earlier, too

time for some fun

Very cheap placement of critters when combined with this screen's gimmick of swapping from one end of the map to the other. It gives you almost no time to react.

A critter appeared out of nowhere from that rock tile there.

almost got me there, but my reactions are too strong

finally

There's a trigger here that takes me back to that room full of Rollings (aptly named the Rolling Room), but it's way lower than it feels like it should be. It's low enough that I keep triggering it when I wait for the Deleet to blow up.

This is missing a <PRI, so those Butes can still fly around while I'm reading this.

good question, if a bit out of the blue

ok, the fact that these butes are bouncing around at the speed of sound from further down the passage is starting to get really irritating

Given how many points of no return there have already been, that doesn't really bother me all that much.

huh
nifty

why even put that there

say hello to my little friend
*unzips spur*

what in TARNATION

The camera isn't focusing on me, and it's very disorientating.

The mod has been kinda okay so far, if a bit easy past that very first screen with the cat ghosts, but now it's nosediving into spike hell territory.

i love fake difficulty

what even

yes of course
the perfect place for an exp capsule

cmon dude, this is LITERALLY just hell but with spikes everywhere

i would like to mention that there was 1 (one) measly heart in this little alcove

reloaded my save on a hunch
nice.

figured as much

yknow, you didn't HAVE to line this path with presses and spikes
it could've just led to the door

notto disu shitto agen

you have one heck of a habit of just giving and taking away equipment at random

what

i WANT it

i guess i'ma have to get the shotgun instead
lemme just do that real quick

Continued in the post below.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:38 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
... and here are the rest of my mod notes, along with my thoughts on the mod.

Still no <PRI.

Forgot to mention this, but there is an extra blank line in the text that displays when you find the Regen-Ring that shouldn't be there.

how am i supposed to do this without the spur's range??

You spelled "Epiphany" wrong.

ooooo

i think i'ma just put my feet up and wait for a moment

>doesn't go to MAX level

Again with the glitchy slopes.

I just noticed that not having boxes behind the weapon icons makes it really hard to see them against some tiles. Might want to readd them.
Also, why does the HP bar not have a background while the EXP bar does?

>Home starts playing
what did you mean by this

no
stop

excellent place for a trigger
probably going to fall into the spikes below now

no borks here

i wonder

yep, moves you back to the bunny statue

Not trying to be insensitive here, but suddenly jumping to this comes acrossed as angst more than anything.

Reminder that more than three lines of text per <NOD and <CLR is bad.

this wacky booster, man

Times I've boosted out of the map: 4

i'm VERY tempted to jump, but i also haven't saved and don't want to refill all my weapons again

Times I've boosted out of the map: 5

"Who", not "Whom"

Childhood crushes are overrated, honestly.

Also you're gonna want to recheck all this dialogue because HOO BOY are there a lot of missing punctuation and spacing errors.

Don't fake something just because it makes your friends feel better. That last line also sounds a fair bit clingy.

Painfully so.

that's
that's not how lockets work

this is bugging me too much
hold on

five minutes in SAI
and yes, you can use this if you want to

oh jesus
Why does this have to have the ENTIRE story inside it, and with no <TUR's? Also, I think it cut out near the end of the story. Might be a hiccup in the TSC.

why is the save gone

Since you didn't use a <PRI anywhere here, you will eventually hear a splash as Not-Curly falls so far off the map that she hits water.

peekaboo

talk about a tone shift
Also you REALLY should consider putting the Love Locket onto all of her facepics after putting it on if only for consistency's sake.

oh
well, this trivialized phase 1 i guess

OKAY, apparently Phase 2 has a hitbox that hits everything in the floor (read: below him) when he smashes down
good to know

the change from regular Cave Story music to Live and Learn is a bit... jarring, honestly

I would also like to mention that I still don't have an Arms Barrier, and Ballos does a LOT of damage if he connects with pretty much anything.

>final phase starts
>fly into his eyeball
>unzip Super Missiles v2

killed to death in literally two missiles

No luck, just skill.

gee championdude, how come your mom lets you have THREE quotes??

i'm going to say yes if only because i'm fairly sure i know what will happen

ahahahahaaaaa
no

yep, figured that was the case

The mod was pretty decent for the first half of it. It has a shaky start, but it smoothed out at least a little bit afterwards. Pretty much all of the boss fights were rather disappointing, with three of the four being almost perfect clones of the original bosses right down to the text they display.
The quality of the mod took a sharp nosedive once I got to True Hell, which serves as a very good example of why spike hells are little more than fake difficulty. The second screen of it required me to be in invincibility frames for practically all of the map, constantly hugging the Butes since they did less damage than the spikes.
The Undertale segment afterwards felt really shoehorned, and I've been hearing from others that there are Doki Doki Literature Club references elsewhere in the mod for some reason? There was no real buildup to the story you told in it, either; first storyless levels, then spike hell, then the story is told, then you fight Ballos, and then the mod is over. It just feels like you threw it in for the sake of it than for anything specifically related to the mod.

In the end, I can tell that you've spent a lot of time and effort on this mod, but I think you're going to need to spend a little more time and effort in order to polish it to the degree that you probably want it to be.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:29 AM
Sleepyhead
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
People won't bother turning off hidden files for a mod. You're better off putting stuff in a zip file and put a password on it.
But I'm saying that while I haven't played this yet, dunno if it's important to the mod.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:40 AM
Professional-Idiot
Modding Community Discord Moderator
Before I make my own analysis of this in the coming days, I realized that you used parts from the Fireball Challenge, True Hell Challenge, and I believe the one where you fight Ballos with infinite booster, but I'm just going off Seasons' pictures. If you did this to cut corners I find this an extremely poor way to lengthen the challenge mod. I noticed the block jumps from the Fireball Challenge and the spike segments from the True Hell Challenge. If this wasn't meant to artificially lengthen the mod, was this meant as a way to show homage to have far you've come as a modder? Or is this meant to just be like a compilation mod of your challenge mods? If this was used to artificially lengthen the game, then personally, I'd say go back and change some things up or possibly remove those segments, but that's just me.