PRELUDE- The unofficial prequel to Cave Story

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
PRELUDE is my unofficial sequel to Cave Story and a re-imagining of the events that occur 10 years before the original game. I hope to release a demo soon. :)
Here's footage of me playing some of it:
:cool:Here's the story so far:
Quote and Curly are dispatched to Mimiga Island to exterminate the Demon Crown.
Unfortunately, the two are separated during one of Miakido's devastating attacks.
Miakado's troops throw Quote into the deepest depths of the island... and now he must find his way out, and destroy the crown before it's too late.

It's my first mod, so constructive criticism is necessary.
Oh, and here's some art:PRELUDEBANNER.png

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2015 at 3:07 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
This actually looks fairly interesting! There's not much to it from a gameplay standpoint, but it's pre-demo and consists of the first few rooms, so I suppose that's understandable. You've clearly put some thought into the aesthetics, and it captures the simplicity of the beta graphics nicely. The need to conserve ammo is sort of neat, and...oh, I was about to tell you some of the ramifications of completely limited ammo (like possibly becoming unable to break the blocks or beat the boss) until I noticed that the blue flower restores health and ammo. That doesn't make much sense, nor is it immediately apparent that there's a way to restore ammo. Of course, a smart player will check everything anyway, but maybe you should consider replacing that sprite?

In any case, I wish you luck! Do you have future parts of the mod planned out or are you just seeing what you can do for your first mod?

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for the feedback!
This actually looks fairly interesting! There's not much to it from a gameplay standpoint, but it's pre-demo and consists of the first few rooms, so I suppose that's understandable. You've clearly put some thought into the aesthetics, and it captures the simplicity of the beta graphics nicely. The need to conserve ammo is sort of neat, and...oh, I was about to tell you some of the ramifications of completely limited ammo (like possibly becoming unable to break the blocks or beat the boss) until I noticed that the blue flower restores health and ammo. That doesn't make much sense, nor is it immediately apparent that there's a way to restore ammo. Of course, a smart player will check everything anyway, but maybe you should consider replacing that sprite?

In any case, I wish you luck! Do you have future parts of the mod planned out or are you just seeing what you can do for your first mod?
Well, I might change that. The cacti saves your data. I could change it to a computer or something with medical supplies. Some of those assets are stolen, though. All of the enemies and stuff I made myself but I took tilesets from Wind Story & a discontinued beta remake. I also stole the face.bmp file but I'm only using my own. I will add shops that sell ammo and weapons, too. That little purple thing in the bottom of First Cave is a shopkeeper that is inaccessible. I may also add melee weapons, but I'll need some assistance with Assembly. Thanks for the recommendations. Oh, I have some areas and bosses planned out, but mostly no. I just make most of it up as I go.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2015 at 3:58 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Alright, immediately I notice some problems.
  • Flat, smooth tiling. That's a big no-no when you're using tiles that don't look like bricks or part of housing.
  • The title screen still says Cave Story.
  • The health bar has more hearts than you have health?
  • No boss health bar.

Other than that I look forward to playing it!

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:13 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't worry, I changed the title, and I haven't finished that boss yet. Also, the health bar is meant to be that way. I didn't make a brand new hud system fully coded or anything, so I hope it doesn't make anyone frustrated. I had felt odd about that health bar, too, but it matches the beta, mostly. That tiling was intentional. It's supposed to look like Cave Story beta!

Here's the title:
p210107-0-titlepic.png

I'm glad to see so much positive feedback for my mod. I didn't expect it to go this well. :)
Thanks everyone. :) I'll see if I can get out a demo by Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2015 at 5:19 AM
scrungy
I'll see if I can get out a demo by Friday.
There's no rush, please take all the time you need to make your product the best it can be.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OK. I just need to keep myself working on this, or I'll get carried away and end up cancelling this.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:16 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
You should change the blue plant to only heal you, and not fill your ammo, it kinda looks weird when it refills.
You can do this by editing head.tsc.
Further, it looks pretty good.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You should change the blue plant to only heal you, and not fill your ammo, it kinda looks weird when it refills.
You can do this by editing head.tsc.
Further, it looks pretty good.
Good idea. I'll try it out.
Should I make a separate entity for ammo replenishing?

I've been playing Cave Story since I was 6 or 7 , so I have a good understanding of the mechanics. Correct me if the level design seem "off."

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 29, 2015 at 6:41 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Good idea. I'll try it out.
Should I make a separate entity for ammo replenishing?

No, keep the blue plant for refilling ammo. It's annoying if a player has to stop at three plants for saving, refilling health, and replenishing ammo.

Don't worry, I changed the title, and I haven't finished that boss yet. Also, the health bar is meant to be that way. I didn't make a brand new hud system fully coded or anything, so I hope it doesn't make anyone frustrated. I had felt odd about that health bar, too, but it matches the beta, mostly. That tiling was intentional. It's supposed to look like Cave Story beta!

Alright, I get all the romanticism of Cave Story beta, but it was beta for a reason. I would still change the tiling, because irregardless of whether it resembles the beta or not, it still looks weird.

Nov 29, 2015 at 7:15 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No, keep the blue plant for refilling ammo. It's annoying if a player has to stop at three plants for saving, refilling health, and replenishing ammo.

Alright, I get all the romanticism of Cave Story beta, but it was beta for a reason. I would still change the tiling, because irregardless of whether it resembles the beta or not, it still looks weird.

You have a point. Okay, and I will change the tiling. I personally prefer the simpler tiles.