Pooh Black - Help!

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm doing a Minimal Items/3 HP/no deaths run through the game and I'm finding it super annoying to kill Pooh Black reliably. The problem is when he comes down from the ceiling - every so often a bubble from the swarm following him will zoom out at high speed and nail me as he's falling. What the heck am I doing wrong?!

Is there some trick to keeping his bubbles from zipping around ridiculously fast when he's falling, or is this down to mostly luck? I suspect using the Bubbler to shield myself would make things easier, but I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong strategy wise, or is it mostly down to luck in a Minimal Items/Low HP run and hoping a stray bubble doesn't hit you when he drops down?

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
If you lure him to drop down to one side of the room and keep your distance when shooting at him, it shouldn't be too hard to beat him.

Also I wasn't aware that having the bubbler was part of the "Minimal items" run, since the minimal items run implies that you only pick up the items that are needed (ex. no missiles, no machine gun, no snake, no spur, no bubbler....)

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
oh, when he jumps up, just move to one side of the screen. After about 2 seconds or so (it'll probably take a bit of experimenting to get the timing right) just walk to the opposite side, firing upwards with the polar star. When he lands (hopefully in the middle of the room) fire off king and then switch and spam with your polar star.

Yeah I'm not sure if this'll help or not, but whatever. Good luck.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Also I wasn't aware that having the bubbler was part of the "Minimal items"

I was just mentioning the Bubbler as a possible strategy in the case of something like a 3 HP challenge. Obviously it's not an option if I'm doing a strict minimal items run.

explosive said:
fire off king and then switch and spam with your polar star.

I'll have to practise firing off Lvl 3 Blades and Polar Stars one after the other. I'm still a bit used to just sticking with one weapon for a fight that I haven't really mastered overlapping shots yet. Thanks for the suggestion, it's probably something I should have gotten much better at before I tried this!

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:13 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm pretty sure I just used the bubbler for my 3hp run. Spam shooting the polar star/fireball/blade and cycling through the weapons with a trigger finger might be a good idea. It also kinda just comes down to luck.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
I think i remember doing pooh black by spamming blade lvl 2, and then running to the sides when ever he was about to land, and most of the time i didnt get hit.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:23 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hmmm..... seems kinda hard, but I use the lvl. 3 Blade to rid almost all of his bubbles and stay in the middle of the room 'till he's about to land, then run the hell to the other side of the room, then just keep spamming lvl. 3 Blade

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:57 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
There is a particular bubble that has a tendency to smack you right in the head.

Some people use the polar star and shoot up to get rid of the bubble (do this before Pooh Black drops in). I'd just continue running around and spamming the blade.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
xristosx said:
I think i remember doing pooh black by spamming blade lvl 2, and then running to the sides when ever he was about to land, and most of the time i didnt get hit.

Same here, blade lvl 2 is with out doubt, the best method for blasting pooh black apart.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Level 2 blade is the best method for MOST bosses (3hp or not).