Poll: Which programming languages do people here know?

Which of these programming languages do you know?

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:15 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I know some Java, Python, TSC (Doesn't everyone here know some TSC?), and Atari BASIC

Not joking about the last one

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM
"Huzzah!"
zxin said:
Aren't TSC (Text Script) and JavaScript scripting languages? (And, y'know, they both have "script" in the title.)
And the heck is 86x assembly? I know what assembly hacking is, but I dunno where the 86x comes from.
I would think that JS still counts as a programming language - you still program things with it, and the only thing it relies on is the interpreter, so it's perfectly capable of being a program with no other files

x86 assembly is the language those assembly hacks are made in. The x86 refers to the processor architecture (32-bit)

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
At this rate, it seems I should write my own TSC interpreter specifically for controlling NPCs.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:29 PM
I know the basics of Visual Basic and C++; I can pretty much do anything that doesn't have to do with graphics, DLLs, and other complex doohickeys.

But for the most part, the majority of my programming usage and experience has been dedicated towards GML. The only subjects I have only lightly touched (If I even did for some of them) are the much more complicated things: multiplayer, 3D, pathfinding (Without help from a DLL/engine/whatever), shaders (I can achieve basic graphic manipulation), physics, platform engine that supports slopes (Welp ;-; ), and probably a few other things that I missed.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2015 at 12:53 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
F_Deity_Link said:
I would think that JS still counts as a programming language - you still program things with it, and the only thing it relies on is the interpreter, so it's perfectly capable of being a program with no other files
The other files ARE the interpreter. A programming language is compiled into a binary executable. A scripting language is one that relys on an interpreter. Most of the listed languages are scripting languages.

zxin said:
And the heck is 86x assembly? I know what assembly hacking is, but I dunno where the 86x comes from.
Assembly is textual representation of machine code as interpreted by the processors instruction set. x86 is the processor used in most modern computers. However outside of modern pcs other processors are used, such as the ARM processor used in most consoles these days, then there's the old Mac PowerPC computers, and the list goes on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_assemblers

This means that each different processor has a completely different flavour of assembly (x86, 6802, PowerPC, Z80) because the binary data is interpreted differently by a completely different instruction set, and those differing instruction sets are each repesented by a different flavour of assembly.

Lets use dogs as an example. One person might clap his hands to tell a dog to come to them, but if the dog has been taught to come on a whistle command then the exercise is fruitless. This is why there are different instruction sets and different variants of assembly.

Aug 17, 2015 at 6:44 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Among the ones in the poll, I know:
Lua, C, C#, Java, x86 Assembly, Python, TSC, Javascript

Among the ones not in the poll, I know:
Scala, OCaML, Ruby, PHP, Erlang, F#, Visual Basic

All of those languages are programming languages, except TSC I think. Scripting languages are programming languages in most cases. "Programming" does not mean "compiled" and "scripting" does not mean "not programming".
A computer language is a programming language if it has three things: Abstraction from hardware, control abstraction, Turing-completeness.
All of the languages listed have those features, except TSC (which does not have control abstraction).
You can code TSC in the same way regardless of what platform you are on, so it's abstracted from hardware. I think you can theoretically (assuming infinite memory) construct any possible finite state, which would mean it's Turing-complete. However, it does not have control abstraction, as it does not allow you to write functions or subroutines. It does have events and some sort of flow control, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to make it act like a call/return block of instructions. I might be wrong though, I'd need confirmation from someone more experienced than me.

EDIT: I forgot x86 was in the list! It's not an actual programming language either, because it is hardware dependent. It's an instruction set.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM
Hoxtilicious
Languages I know:
x86 Assembler, 65x02 Assembler, C, C#, GLBasic, Java, JavaScript (scripting language), Lua (scripting language), PHP, SQL and Visual Basic .NET.

Programming languages that sound interesting to me but never got the time to actually learn them:
LISP, Modula, Pascal and Ruby.

Other than that I can read/write CSS, HTML, TSC and XML.
My prefered languages for traditional programs are VB.NET for GUI applications and C# for the rest.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I can do tsc, which technically isn't a programming language but that's all I know. Hope to learn more in the future.

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't know if GML would be an acceptable language, but other than that, I know a bit of Visual Basic too, but not much...

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:29 PM
I don't know if GML would be an acceptable language, but other than that, I know a bit of Visual Basic too, but not much...
GML is a real programming language alright!
*googles GML*
Ah, then let me specify it better: GML is short for Game Maker Language, which is what GM:S (Game Maker: Studio) uses.
The program is pretty powerful alright, but the name is still rather childish ^_^;

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM
Hoxtilicious
GML is a scripting language, which means while technicially it's being a programming language, it's entirely the same as a language like C, C#, Java etc.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:43 AM
GML is a scripting language, which means while technicially it's being a programming language, it's entirely the same as a language like C, C#, Java etc.
GML isn't a scripting language, since it doesn't rely on some compiled software to run it, like how LUA needs to.

For comparison, C, C#, Java, C++, etc. may as well as be scripting languages since it is entirely the same as machine language.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM
Hoxtilicious
GML isn't a scripting language, since it doesn't rely on some compiled software to run it, like how LUA needs to.

So GameMaker isn't compiled software? :p
GML is interpreted by the engine, there is no compiler to compile it to machine or byte code to run natively on a enviroment, unlike the other languages you listed (allthough C# and Java can be used as a scripting language). It is a scripting language.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM
So GameMaker isn't compiled software? :p
GML is interpreted by the engine, there is no compiler to compile it to machine or byte code to run natively on a enviroment, unlike the other languages you listed (allthough C# and Java can be used as a scripting language). It is a scripting language.
GameMaker is an IDE just like Visual Studio and notepad are IDEs. (Notepad for the serious programming guru :p ) And isn't Windows OS compiled too?

GML is compiled, it's just a bit lengthy on the programming languages it goes through. GM:S greatly fixes this, and tops it off with their newest compiler, ramping up the CPU efficiency to high levels. (In contrast to how it was before) Now even Linux computers could run those compiled games through WINE unlike previous versions.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:15 PM
"Huzzah!"
I think there are two ways it exports to Windows in GM: Studio, although the second may have replaced the first
The first/old way was to attach a runner + GML scripts, which would then be interpreted, making GML a scripting language at that point
Since v1.2 they put in an LLVM backend to turn GML into C++, then they use Clang to turn that into machine code, which I guess would make GML more of a programming language actually its programming either way
Wikipedia article

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Hoxtilicious
Just because it gets compiled doesn't mean it's a programming language, nowadays even JavaScript gets compiled in some browers but that still doesn't make it a programming language. ;)

GameMaker is an IDE just like Visual Studio and notepad are IDEs. (Notepad for the serious programming guru :p ) And isn't Windows OS compiled too?

You're mixing up some stuff there.
GameMaker is not an integrated development environment, it is a game creation system. That's a huge difference, plus GML only works in GameMaker, the engine has to provide functions because there is no way to access the low level stuff (atleast not anywhere near where C or other languages could), that's why it's a scripting language. Windows is a operating system, GameMaker isn't, that's why you can't compare these two as well.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:16 PM
GML works in anything that can compile it. ENIGMA is another IDE that can compile GML. Just like there are multiple IDEs that can compile C++.

F_Deity_Link puts it in nicely.

EDIT~ I use GM:S (GameMaker: Studio) of the latest version.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2015 at 6:33 PM
Hoxtilicious
Like JavaScript works in everything that can either interpret or compile it, it's still a scripting language.
And just a tip, you really should look that stuff up because you're again mixing things up. ENIGMA is a game development environment not an IDE and it's compilers that compile programming languages not IDEs. The GNU C Compiler compiles C++ but it's not an IDE, an IDE would be Code::Blocks.