Poll: Org Competitions?

Would you participate in a frequent Org Making competition?

• My idea is superior and I wish to share it below.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Competition scares me. How about some sort of thread to Show Off Your Org Music?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hey fellas, how have you all been? I've been pretty quiet on the Western Front that is the forums, but otemoto-dansei-ningen suggested something that perked my ears almost as much as his name. I'd totally be up for an orgfest, but it would only work if you guys wanted to as well!

Poll says it all, what do you think about a semi-frequent org competition? We'd need judges and composers, or course, and maybe some other people too.

Please submit your ideas, thanks!

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:55 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Orgfest sounds rather sexy, like, that word sounds sexual to me. I'm intrigued.

I'll let Alex know about this. But you need creative themes, not "make final boss music" or the like. Force people to be creative.

I approve.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:06 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Yo I could totes judge some ORG compositions, I have opinions and such
I have almost literally no schedule ever so really any regularity would be good, I need some structure in my life
And yeah we've gotta have themes, otherwise the best composer would win every time :B
With themes, there will be variation

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:34 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Contributing: I'd love to try and get some ORG music made, (Mainly for a mod I might make) So this would be a nice start at least to get used to the program.
How Often: It all really depends on how brutal school gets. So far, I really could try and make a quick one up in a week or so. I think monthly would be best choice though.
Themes: Having a set theme for every month would be interesting. Also, we could have certain months (February, August, etc.) be free for all ORG submissions.
I think it's a great idea, go for it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:49 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Consider limiting submissions, though, if ever this contest will materialize, such as limiting to one entry per person.

A common thing with contests, but just saying.
Rubyyoshi said:
Themes: Having a set theme for every month would be interesting. Also, we could have certain months (February, August, etc.) be free for all ORG submissions.
I think it's a great idea, go for it.
At least we could vary the "free months" every year. Sucks when February and August get to be the odd ones out.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I was thinking it should be made seasonal, which might sound like a lot, but it's about par for our history. Then again most of the participation would probably be in the first month anyway.

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Submissions would definitely be limited.
Honestly I think monthy might be best, but it's up to the polls now.

By the looks of it, we're gonna need some themes. Please submit a few if you're bursting with creativity!
Or if you have a few ideas.

Here's a few off the top of my head, some are pretty bland, that doesn't mean the Orgs will be though.

•A song that sounds like fire
•A song where you can't adjust the volume envelope
•A song 190 BPM or higher
•Title Screen Music, it better be catchy
•All percussion
•No percussion
•Only three melody tracks and one drum track may be used (NES style)
•An ode to Noxid

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Why would we have individual judges? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a public vote for the winners?

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Based Member
GIR brings up a good point, that would probably be the best way of fairly selecting a winner. Anyway, if we are doing this monthly, I don't see why people entering things of a specific theme should have to wait more than a month to see their song entered. I'm not against these themes, but maybe they should all be done each month rather than only be done in specific months? Different songs of different themes are made at different times. Some people might get lucky and make their org of a certain theme just in time for the month of said theme, but some might do it a while before it or just after it's over and have to wait up to six months and/or forget to enter their org. This is just my opinion though.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
HaydenStudios said:
Some people might get lucky and make their org of a certain theme just in time for the month of said theme, but some might do it a while before it or just after it's over and have to wait up to six months and/or forget to enter their org. This is just my opinion though.
The point is that your supposed to be skilled enough to adapt to the theme and preferably not just enter some org you made awhile ago. `~`

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
I would LOVE to do this personally, unfortunately I can't upload Orgs right now, i'm sorry. Though like i said, i'm very interested in this, soon enough i should be able to.

Edit: I'll do the poll anyway. C:

Would you participate in a frequent Org Making competition?: Competition? I'm down. :D I could also judge if needed.
How often would work best for you?: Eeeeeeh maybe Monthly/If we all fell like it. C:
Should it be a free for all, or have weekly themes?: An "either" option would've been nice. XD Maybe sometimes, we could do themes or free-for-all, cause i'm down with both. :p

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Professional Whatever
I think I need to start practicing composition like crazy just to participate in this thing

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:48 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
cultr1 said:
Here's a few off the top of my head, some are pretty bland, that doesn't mean the Orgs will be though.
> Only three melody tracks and one drum track may be used (NES style)
Specifically 2 rectangle wave-sounding instruments, and one traingle-sounding one. Drum tracks can be used, but you can't use 2 percussion sounds at the same time e.g. bass01 and snare01.

GIR's idea is a good thing, but as for me, it should be necessary to comment on a song chosen to be reasonable.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Sounds fun. I myself have had a lot of fun composing pieces on ORG Maker. Maybe I'd join or something, if I have time.

I'm in between on themes, though. They can be good for a challenge to try different things but...I also like the idea of having ultimate freedom every noww and then.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I am assuming no transcriptions or "copies". Only original compositions.
Also, I chose "other" for the time scale.

Monthly? Weekly?
Hahahaha...

Hourly. Minutely. Best of all, picosecondly. You should be composing as much as you can.

Edit: Note - I am finally learning how to play the piano. A real piano. Good stuff.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Yeah I was planning on making judging open, I was only asking to gauge interest in listening to lots of orgs.
As you can see from the Show Off Your Org Music thread, interest is pretty low.

So far interest is enough to consider starting planning the actual competitions. This is what I'm getting from you guys overall, correct me if I'm wrong:

•We have enough people! That's what really matters. I'm going to suggest that most people who said they'd judge or compose go ahead and compose, we might change that based on how much it would swamp judges. This would not be an issue if we don't post orgs that often.

•Looks like we couldn't agree on a timeframe, I'm going to say monthly is probably best for judges and composers. This isn't final.

•Themes are awesome, so long as we make the theme "do whatever you want" every once in a while.

Looking forward to it, guys! Let's not lose momentum, I really want this to start up.
Please keep suggestions up, nothing in this post is final.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Professional Whatever
Carrotlord said:
I am assuming no transcriptions or "copies". Only original compositions.
Transcriptions shouldn't be excluded in my opinion. It takes skill and practice to do a good transcription.
I do agree they shouldn't be mixed in with original compositions though
Maybe a theme could be "transcribe X"?

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
There should be a rule that you cannot enter an org that was entered for a previous competition.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM
MagicDoors said:
Transcriptions shouldn't be excluded in my opinion. It takes skill and practice to do a good transcription.
I do agree they shouldn't be mixed in with original compositions though
Maybe a theme could be "transcribe X"?
I was thinking along the lines of original compositions only, with maybe a few challenges to "remix" tunes.

Feb 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Based Member
Transcriptions are a large portion of the orgs that are posted here. I really think they should have some inclusion here. In fact, I can't compose for crap. I was thinking of participating in this, but not if you can't enter remixes of existing songs a majority of the time. I will agree that they should be judged separately from compositions, though.