(Poll) Favorite Gaming Generation

What is your favorite generation of gaming consoles?

• First Generation (Pre Eight Bit)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Second Generation (Early Eight Bit)

• Third Generation (Late Eight Bit)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Fourth Generation (Sixteen Bit)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Fifth Generation (Beginning of Optical Mediums Becoming Standard)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Sixth Generation (Optical Mediums Become Standard)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Seventh Generation (Attempts at Motion Gaming)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Eight Generation (Current Gen)

• Total voters
Sep 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I broke while trying to choose between the fifth and the sixth generation

I mean
Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, LoZ Ocarina of Time, LoZ Majora's Mask, Tekken 3, Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3, Worms, Silent Hill, Pokémon Stadium, Super Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Party, Starfox 64, FF Tactics
but
Super Mario Sunshine, Rayman 3, LoZ Wind Waker, LoZ Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Melee, Silent Hill 2, Jak and Daxter & Jak 3, Soul Calibur I & II, Shadow of the Colossus, PoP Sands of Time, MGS III, GTA San Andreas, Beyond Good & Evil

yeahhhh

So in the end I decided to use a simple criteria. I play N64 games more for the nostalgia, I play GameCube games more for the enjoyment. 6th gen wins

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
By far the sixth. There are just so many classic PlayStation 2 and GameCube games. Super Smash Bros (for Game Cube), Ace Combat 04, 5, and Zero, Crash Bandicoot, etc.

EDIT:
Did I mention Shadow of the Colossus? That shit was for REAL.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
For me it comes down to fourth vs fifth, and in turn largely SNES vs PSX. I think the fifth wins out for sheer variety, there were so many different games being made by developers of all sizes during that period, plus I have a soft spot for mid-late 90's 3D (and there was still plenty of good spritework around too).

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:09 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
5th gen itself wasn't all that great, but it paved the way for nearly every modern style game. 5th gen did not deliver on all of its promises, but 6th sure did. Ideas were laid out only to take full form a few years later. Ex: Goldeneye-->CoD. Super Mario 64-->pretty much every 3d 3rd person game after it. MGS---->Deus ex

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:30 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
how do you make the connection between metal gear solid and deux ex
they don't even have the same gameplay apart from "guy has gun and sometimes sneaks"

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:41 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
5th gen itself wasn't all that great, but it paved the way for nearly every modern style game. 5th gen did not deliver on all of its promises, but 6th sure did. Ideas were laid out only to take full form a few years later. Ex: Goldeneye-->CoD. Super Mario 64-->pretty much every 3d 3rd person game after it. MGS---->Deus ex
Sure, maybe not much on fulfilling promises, nevertheless Super Mario 64 was an amazing game!

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:08 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I'm not really that big of a fan of the sixth generation, I know it's supposed to be part of the best era of console gaming but seeing the number of game series, developers and genres that either started going downhill or just disappeared outright during that period makes it difficult for me to sustain a lot of interest. The Dreamcast was pretty cool though :cool:

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:19 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't remember any thing particularly groundbreaking about the 6th generation. Halo? Console networked multiplayer? Cave Story was released?

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:44 AM
"..."
I don't remember any thing particularly groundbreaking about the 6th generation. Halo? Console networked multiplayer? Cave Story was released?
Nothing truly "groundbreaking" during 6th. Just improvements on the 5th. As in iPhone 1 vs iPhone 6. Keeps all the same features, doesn't even add any/many new ones, but just makes everything better in general.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:51 AM
The Preacher
please stop talking about the iphone

anyway the 6th generation is the one that took the groundbreaking ideas from the 5th and made actually good games with them

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
well, I think it's been pretty well established that I only can derive pleasure from shitty games so I guess that explains why it didn't leave as much of an impression on me.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:58 AM
The Preacher
Well that's kind of why I had such a hard time choosing between the two really, if a game has an awesome original concept and gameplay that blows my mind then I don't care if it's shitty, I'll love it
But yeah, the replayability on the 6th is higher overall I'd say

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:00 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Nothing truly "groundbreaking" during 6th. Just improvements on the 5th. As in iPhone 1 vs iPhone 6. Keeps all the same features, doesn't even add any/many new ones, but just makes everything better in general.
IMHO, I see the GameCube controller as almost being the perfect controller; just some small tweaks and it'll be set :D
(Excluding mouse and keyboards, there's no competition in that)

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM
"..."
IMHO, I see the GameCube controller as almost being the perfect controller; just some small tweaks and it'll be set :D
(Excluding mouse and keyboards, there's no competition in that)
GC controller is the best, but only for certain games that were designed with it in mind (like 1st party games.) Same goes for any controller I guess (besides N64 controller i dont know who the heck THAT was for.)

Personally, for most of my games i use a 360 controller, but for FPS games and strategy games I ALWAYS use a mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Personally, for most of my games i use a 360 controller, but for FPS games and strategy games I ALWAYS use a mouse and keyboard.
I think I may have not been specific about the keyboard and mouse, what I meant is that the keyboard and mouse are unbeatable, hence the no competition part.