Poll: Best video game company?

What is your favorite video game company?

• Rockstar Games

Votes: 1 4.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EA

• Blizzard

• Bethesda

• Ubisoft

• Bungie

• Nintendo

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Capcom

• Activision

• Sega

• id Software

• Square Enix

• Not Listed

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Sony

• Konami

• Microsoft

• Valve

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Which are your favourite video game companies and why? Which companies you do not like or avoid?

My favourites (in no particular order):
1) 2K - because of the Bioshock series and other cool games
2) Rockstar - GTA... some high quality games
3) Bungie - I like them since they have released Oni which is in my opinion one of the best games ever made
4) EA is not bad (Dead Space, Need for Speed, sports games), but not good either (slaughtering some franchises, and other stuff you can read about it).

I do not like the following:
1) Activision - form milking the CoD franchise and making some generic games (I admit they have some cool ones too)
2) Jagex for ruining Ace of Spades
3) My least favourite company is Ubisoft - while the games are often fun to play I do not like their story. For example Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 3 - quite fun to play but not my taste of story. This company is just not my taste somehow.

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think judging companies by certain games in their repertoire is fair. I love harvest moon but that doesn't mean I enjoy everything that ubisoft makes, nor does that make it the best company.

From a moral perspective I think my favourite out of the big companies is Nintendo, because I mean just look at eee they are the biggest dorks of us all and they love what they do.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I kinda prefer indie companies and developers in general, big game companies cause a lot of controversy and they can be assholes quite often in recent time. Indie developers add new ideas to the table and have made some of the more creative games in recent years, as well as some of my favorites. They are also almost never assholes with a few... glaring exceptions. But I love Super Meat Boy, I love Bit.Trip, I love Cave Story, and I love VVVVVV. Also I like Nintendo because they're still kinda assholes but not as much as Sony and Microsoft and they make good games. As for my least favorite game company, I would say Capcom because they make Street Fighter IV about every two seconds, but I think they've realized that people don't want that considering SUPER ULTRA DEAD RISING 3 ARCADE REMIX HYPER EDITION EX PLUS ALPHA came out recently. Also because of the ridiculous amount of DLC they add to their games, including on disc DLC, but their games are just some of my favorites, like Mega Man. Also, supposedly Resident Evil 5 and 6 sucked but I played Revelations a bit and thought it was pretty nice. As for EA, I never cared for their games, so I don't really have much of an idea of why people hate them so much. So there aren't really any game companies that I hate, I just really question the decisions of some.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM
"Huzzah!"
All video game companies are special in their own way,
but if had to pick just one, I would have to pick Nintendo.
They are trying so hard to catch a lucky break that I feel sorry for them.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
where the hell is valve

out of these, though, I'd pick Nintendo.

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Hyperbolic
I have added Valve, Microsoft, Sony and Konami. Yes, it is hard to choose one - you can think of the question like this: if from now on, hypothetically, you would be allowed to play games only from one of these publishers, which would it be?

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Perpetually out of it
Ooh, an opportunity to rant about video game companies I don't like...well then, here goes!

In advance, I'm not about to judge these companies solely based on the games they make, otherwise I'd hate them a lot less. No, I'm basing them off what they do as a company when it comes to publishing and managing the features in their games, and a load of other things they do.

EA and Activision are the epidemy of corporate cynicism when it comes to the sheer amount of shitty features they've introduced into their franchises in the past generation.
EA:
Unnecessary DRM, Online passes, "modernization" and "broadening of audiences" (dumbing down the gameplay to make it easier to newcomers), awful licensed shovelware that they've published on all consoles, ridiculous overmilking of its sports games, overuse of micro-transactions, hypocrisy with issues in the gaming industry, the list goes on and on. Not even gonna mention all the times they've made dickish remarks toward "inferior" companies like Nintendo, saying things like Miyamoto's "falling down on the job" with such smugness that only an EA employee could say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnWV1NooRX4

Activision:
Same long list of issues as EA, but stressing the "overmilking of its franchises" to a much greater degree here.It's not just Call of Duty in that respect either, I'm talking Tony Hawk, Angry Birds, and Guitar Hero, just to name a few. I'm not saying any of these are bad, just that their IP's have been grossly overused in the past years. The awful licensing of TV and movie franchises results in just a waste of space (I'm looking at you, Amazing Spider man games) and money, and show barely any effort put into them to make them "good games" as much as they are cheap marketing tools.

Now if I were to pick some companies that I love, my choices are much more nostalgic than anything, but I still they're they're overall 'good' companies nonetheless.

Valve is probably my favorite company right now, what with their generosity and user-friendliness from Steam and their general good-hearted attitude toward its community, something you don't often see with such big companies. Following suit are Nintendo and Konami, companies whose franchises I passionately love playing, even if they haven't really been up to their all-time highs as of late. Unlike the companies that I hate, I'm not about to go as in-depth as I did with them, mainly because I have very little to say about the ones I love in comparison.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Offensive User
Nadojin said:
Activision:
Same long list of issues as EA, but stressing the "overmilking of its franchises" to a much greater degree here.It's not just Call of Duty in that respect either, I'm talking Tony Hawk, Angry Birds, and Guitar Hero, just to name a few. I'm not saying any of these are bad, just that their IP's have been grossly overused in the past years.
You probably used the 3 worst examples to describe a publisher that's milking a franchise; you have 2 franchises that are really dead at the moment and a franchise that's owned by Rovio.
I mean, that doesn't mean that your point is invalid but still.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Perpetually out of it
For Angry Birds I made the mistake of thinking Activision published more than just Trilogy.
There's a reason I said "in the past years" as a reference for when those franchises were being milked, though my choice of words could have easily been better if I said something like "in the past decade" or something along the lines of that, so I apologize for whatever confusion that caused.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Squaresoft and Enix, pre-merger.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I'm gonna go with Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog is great. ^.^

If only they could get back the rights to Crash...but in the meantime, they can keep making great games. c:

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM
Offensive User
Nadojin said:
For Angry Birds I made the mistake of thinking Activision published more than just Trilogy.
There's a reason I said "in the past years" as a reference for when those franchises were being milked, though my choice of words could have easily been better if I said something like "in the past decade" or something along the lines of that, so I apologize for whatever confusion that caused.
They actually published all of the console versions of angry birds, but Rovio chose to make the games and their publisher just so happened to be Activision. Speaking of which I am kind of glad that they're not just sticking to the regular angry birds formula recently and tried out some different things.
But yeah it's okay, when you said "in the past years" I was thinking of post-2010

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:26 AM
"Huzzah!"
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
They actually published all of the console versions of angry birds, but Rovio chose to make the games and their publisher just so happened to be Activision. Speaking of which I am kind of glad that they're not just sticking to the regular angry birds formula recently and tried out some different things.
But yeah it's okay, when you said "in the past years" I was thinking of post-2010
Transformers, robots in disguise!!!

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM
War criminal
Though I voted Nintendo in the poll, I do enjoy some games from Ubisoft, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, and Konami.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:51 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
There are a lot of good video game companies, but I would say Bethesda because I enjoy the elder scrolls games (skyrim was a bit dumbed down though.)

I think studio pixel should have been in the list. I mean, this is CAVE STORY FORUMS. Or you could put nicalis.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nintendo.
But you should have listed Intelligent Systems.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:20 PM
tem go to colleg and make u prouds!!!
Hohenheim said:
Nintendo.
But you should have listed Intelligent Systems.
This thread wasn't very worth bumping
But I agree, Paper Mario TTYD and Fire Emblem Awakening are pretty much the best games I've ever played. The other Paper Mario games I've played are also great, although I haven't played any other Fire Emblem games.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thatnamelessguy said:
This thread wasn't very worth bumping
But I agree, Paper Mario TTYD and Fire Emblem Awakening are pretty much the best games I've ever played. The other Paper Mario games I've played are also great, although I haven't played any other Fire Emblem games.
I think that Awakening is the 3DS game I've spent the most time playing.
The Thousand-Year Door is one of my favorite games, I hope it'll get a rerelease or HD-remake.