Political Threads

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Alright so we have produced a number of political threads of late. The problem being that political threads tend to be confined in terms of locality, and most are regarding US politics, with only one regarding Canada (without actually specifying it). The Canada thread being a knee-jerk reaction to one of the US threads.

The problem is that in order to discuss politics, us in the rest of the world have to create threads for our own country of question. The problem with this is that this can easily blow out of proportion to the point where political threads for every country are all over the place. So the only alternatives we have is to either live with being marginalised and continue to be left out of discussion or to try and discuss politics for countries that we have no political investment in.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love to discuss politics, but I know very little about the politics of other countries.

To this end I want to know if anyone shares this view and if we can work out a solution.

It is worth maybe making a dedicated subforum so that thread overload isn't an issue for the rest of us?

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't think politics belongs on the cstsf tbh
We are a fairly geographically diverse and small group. And it'll either be a policy circlejerk or another meme parade.
And anyways, I find American politics to be a loathsome farce. I'd rather they not invade my homespace if it can be helped.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:30 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
can i still make trump jokes

Dec 27, 2015 at 7:40 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Only if you pay a small loan of a million dollars.
To trump's personal campaign

yeah, politics really doesn't have a place here, nor should it. in the end its one of the most sickening things to talk about when you get down to it

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I maintain that there's nothing inherently wrong with politics as a discussion topic, demographics are a bit of an issue I guess but we can only work with what we have & I don't consider that exclusitory as such. We don't "need" threads for every nationality, couldn't we just have a politics general if we had to? Based on the current threads I'd surmise that the biggest problem is a lack of interest/knowledge from most of the community leading to the usual off-topic bickering. Unproductive, perhaps, but I think people should at least be able to try to talk about it if they want to. Then again if we did at some point have multiple users with ""strong opinions"" getting involved I don't imagine it going well at all so :U

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:32 PM
"Forever coffee..."
A subforum would probably be the quickest and easiest solution. Whoever doesn't care about politics simply won't look into it, and whoever does will look into it.

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
A subforum would probably be the quickest and easiest solution. Whoever doesn't care about politics simply won't look into it, and whoever does will look into it.
We seriously don't need a politics subforum unless it becomes a majorly big subject.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:19 AM
"Forever coffee..."
We seriously don't need a politics subforum unless it becomes a majorly big subject.
Is there like a limit or cost to making subforums I'm not aware of? I mean, if there isn't, making a subforum basically isolates the political part from the rest of the forum, and nobody has to see it. Why would that be bad?

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:00 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Is there like a limit or cost to making subforums I'm not aware of? I mean, if there isn't, making a subforum basically isolates the political part from the rest of the forum, and nobody has to see it. Why would that be bad?
it just clutters the directory up, and besides, this is the CSTSF. Everybody is going to see everything regardless of where it goes.

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:28 PM
The Preacher
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I do not think dedicating resources, be they subforums, time, or a meta thread like this one, to the inclusion of conversations about politics in a forum about a video game, comprised in majority of 14-or-less years old people, is a wise choice.

Just let people make the threads they want, if they're about politics then so be it I guess, as long as they don't become flamewar dens. People who are not interested don't have to participate in them.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:13 AM
"Forever coffee..."
I think we should not have political subboards.
The thing is, I can't see why not. People should talk about what they want to talk about. Can't we pull a Patrick and simply push the problem somewhere else? If you don't want it, you don't see it.

it just clutters the directory up, and besides, this is the CSTSF. Everybody is going to see everything regardless of where it goes.
What do you mean, everybody is going to see everything? I'm pretty sure there's some furry thread hidden here somewhere, but I haven't seen it because I'm not a furry. And because I chose not to. Point being I don't think it's too hard to avoid certain forums, but you've been here for eons longer than I have, so I could be wrong. Also, by clutters the directory up, I don't think one extra thread per, let's say, month is going to clutter. This forum is already covered in dead threads, and why would we need to go through the directory anyway?

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:27 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It'll still be visible on the recent posts page regardless of where you put it, and having a nearly empty sub doesn't really add much. And like others have pointed out, it's not close to the core demographic of our forum. It just doesn't make sense.

We already have a lot of subs. Maybe not as many as we had at one point but trimming the fat was a step forward, not back.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:35 AM
"Forever coffee..."
It'll still be visible on the recent posts page regardless of where you put it, and having a nearly empty sub doesn't really add much. And like others have pointed out, it's not close to the core demographic of our forum. It just doesn't make sense.

We already have a lot of subs. Maybe not as many as we had at one point but trimming the fat was a step forward, not back.
I think that people should have the ability to talk about whatever they want to talk about. I can see it being on the recent posts page to be a nuisance, but isn't there a way to remove it from there? I guess that if it takes away discussion from Cave Story and into politics, then I can agree to it being removed. And why is more subs necessarily bad? If the sub is nearly empty, then it isn't adding much. And this is a forum; I don't think reducing discussion is necessarily an issue.
In any case, I think that for a good deal of the members they want to talk about politics with people with similar interests and that's why they don't want to do it elsewhere.

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:55 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
I think that people should have the ability to talk about whatever they want to talk about..
people have the ability to talk about polotics if they want to, they can talk about it on their profile or on a political forum that is actually made for that discussion.
I can see it being on the recent posts page to be a nuisance, but isn't there a way to remove it from there?
doubt it
If the sub is nearly empty, then it isn't adding much.
if its not adding, much then why bother? if it is adding something, its probably not adding something we want.

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Professional Whatever
No one here is banning political threads. The point is that we, a gaming forum, do not need a subforum for politics. That's what the satellite lounge is for.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:37 PM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
I'm fine with discussing politics on CSTF. The reason is because poiltical forums suck. Its either a bunch of lunatics or a bunch of people who are a bit out of touch because they are middle aged. This forum has lots of young people who are savvy on lots of things, which can help with political knowledge. Most people here are pretty smart and know what they are saying instead of this:

"Obama's secretly a terrorist"
"Clinton had nothing to do with Benghazi!"
"Trump will make America great again by building a great wall"

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:25 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
We don't "need" threads for every nationality, couldn't we just have a politics general if we had to?
We tried that. Every other nationality was drowned out by American politics to the point where everyone just stopped bothering and discussed American politics, myself included.

No one here is banning political threads.
All cards are on the table tbh.

No one here is banning political threads. The point is that we, a gaming forum, do not need a subforum for politics. That's what the satellite lounge is for.
The idea was a subforum under the satellite lounge.

Anything 2 levels deep tends to not show up directly on the forum index, so it shouldn't be an issue.

This forum has lots of young people who are savvy on lots of things, which can help with political knowledge.
From what I recall, most young people (although that depends on your definition of young) don't care about politics.

I don't think politics belongs on the cstsf tbh
We are a fairly geographically diverse and small group. And it'll either be a policy circlejerk or another meme parade.
And anyways, I find American politics to be a loathsome farce. I'd rather they not invade my homespace if it can be helped.
Well the alternative may be to ban political threads, though defining what is political is a mess in itself.

Maybe just banning threads directly discussing political candidates (who will win the 20XX election in X, etc.) would be enough?

Last edited: