Points story

May 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So I am sure you might be aware of the little thing that says "Points" in the middle of TextBox.pbm. I believe at one point Cave Story was meant to have the classic "Points System" wherein you earn points for things and the points don't really do anything other than be there.

If someone were to implement Points into the original Cave Story what do you think points would be awarded for and how much? Keep in mind it should be vaguely balanced so that a "High Score" means something other than you sat in First Cave and farmed critters for a day.

May 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Cool. I don't mess around with scripts, (which is why I'm the only person that joined in 2009 that isn't affiliated with a mod... I mean, I'm good at mapping, but that's a crap skill. I'm good at plots, but again, in the world of modding, a crap skill.) so I wouldn't know how that could be implicated.

May 25, 2010 at 4:21 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
How it could be implemented is a non-issue. I'm more interested in the actual logistics of it, like how does one "score" in Cave Story.

May 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Ah, I see.
Like, score a point for a monster, and you can't score for that one monster again? And you can only gain so many points from generated monsters. (Green Devil.)

May 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
immortalshippo said:
I'm the only person that joined in 2009 that isn't affiliated with a mod

*ten character angry face

May 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Points Story, the Bullet Hell Mod?

Noxid said:
How it could be implemented is a non-issue. I'm more interested in the actual logistics of it, like how does one "score" in Cave Story.
That could be the exact reason for it's removal/failed-implementation....
Perhaps, since it's already been said Castlevania was one of the games Amaya got his inspirations from, he planned on trying to imitate it's scoring system, too?
Since he also did say he made the game as he went along, the game could've been far less RPG-ish when he was thinking about such a system, than it is now. Maybe even a lot more like Castlevania, or something...

Anyways, where I'm trying to get with this seemingly off-topic post {compared to the original question} is that Cave Story most likely can no longer have a proper scoring system.
It might've, at one point in time, but I don't see it working well with High scores and such in it's final incarnation, as like you mentioned, anything like Critter Grinding would break it easy...
{And anything too static, like boss kills or hidden items obtained, would be silly, as you can simply count that yourself. A scoring system for that alone would be redundant}

May 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Noxid said:
like how does one "score" in Cave Story.

Obviously with Curly :D or Chaco too, since that actually happens.

I love how you italicized the word too, since it pretty much meant that someone would have to say this.

Hmmmm, maybe instead of exp you pick up doritos which are worth points? Then you go buy more guns/ammo/lifepots/swords/jetpacks?

May 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
:D
Anyway, involving the XP triangles is a good idea, and I think also you should get bonus points for those items that you don't have to get like the panties etc.

Shouldn't be too hard to have a decent points system, just think about what would make you say you're "Good" at Cave Story

- Killing lots of enemies
- Getting the best ending
- Beating the game quickly
- Getting "Bonus" items
- Playing with low health

And things you could deduct for:

- frequent saves
- using HP/Ammo refill machines
- using a Life Pot
- Missing shots with your weapon
EDIT: Dying >.>

And so on and so forth.

May 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well Noxid you know how much I respect you so I'll say this would be a great idea. Of course, some wiseguy would then make a mod with the sole purpose of collecting said points. But hey - that would be something new.

I can imagine it's possible to program it that when you die/save you recieve a certain amount of points. Hell, the saving part could be done with the CE. Now, sorry about the dick move but it would probably be nearly impossible to make missed shots do stuff to your score.

May 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I don't really understand why you guys are getting so hung up about whether or not it would be actually doable; I'm pretty sure I could do it in like a week tops if I really wanted to, with the magic of assembly. When you fire a bullet for instance if it hits a wall there's a function somewhere that makes the "Bullet hit wall" sound and makes the little effect; all I'd have to do there is slip in a call to some sort of points subtracting/adding function. If a bullet hits an entity or something then the function doesn't get called.

EDIT: Like this: Here's a simple example that counts how many jumps you make. Unfortunately the number display caps at 9999, so it might not be possible to even beat the game without breaking it. It took me 27 just to make it out of first cave :/
EDITEDIT: Well I managed to make it to Grasstown with only 151.. Perhaps it is possible after all.
http://www.mediafire.com/?fdzjjfhufmz

But anyway that's not the point of this thread.
S'posta be about what you might have gotten points for and how many.

May 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
What about...
- 10 points for killing your first of each enemy
- 25 points for each Life Capsule
- 50 points for each item you get
- 50 points for making the Labyrinth B jump without the Booster 0.8
- 50 points for each weapon you get

And...

Add a hidden timer to the big bosses (Core, Monster X etc.) and give points based on the following:

- Under 15 minutes: 100 points
- Under 10 minutes: 200 points
- Under 5 minutes: 500 points

To make it more interesting, deduct 10 points for each time you have to retry.

Finally, during the credits:

- Good ending: 250 points
- Best ending: 500 points
- 3 HP run: 250 points
- 3 HP hellrun: 500 points
- Minimal items (No MG, Snake, Spur, Nemesis, Bubbler, Lifepot or Map System): 500 points
- Minimal items hellrun: 1000 points
- Get Lipstick, Panties, Alien, Clay, Mushroom (Useless items set): 200 points

:3
My thoughts, anyways.

May 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
+ points for

shooting, more for spamming, if they hit enemies.
missiles, hearts, and energy.

- points for

falling in water without air tank.

May 26, 2010 at 9:49 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
A couple of points for getting a new weapon and some more for the first time you level it up to each level (100 for getting, 25 for level 2, 50 for level 3, 100 for max, but only on the very first time.)

Like Boots said, some points for the first time you kill a type of enemy, except different values for different enemies and extra points for certain amounts you've killed (1 kill, 25 kills, 100 kills, 1000 kills, et cetera.)

Killing a boss and ending the fight with player health at >75%, 75-40%, <40%. (500, 250, 100.)

Dieing from drowing would subtract maybe 100 points, from a generic enemy maybe 500, spikes 200 points, and dieing during a boss fight would not subtract points, but would eliminate the chance to earn 500 points for high health in a boss fight, dieing a second time eliminating the chance to earn the 250, so that any time after you die twice, the boss would always be worth 100 no matter the player's health.

May 31, 2010 at 6:01 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
How to put a scoring system into cave story:
- Split areas (maps) into missions or gameplay-specific chapters (Grasstown for example includes "get the key", "jelly hunt", "balrog again", "bomb maker", and "balfrog").
- Give each mission a time limit.
- No backtracking.
- No respawning enemies in an area except upon the start of a new mission.
- Each mission's enemies and items must be different.
- Any part of the map outside of the scope of the mission must be blocked from the player.
- Each enemy must have a score upon defeat that represents the strength of that enemy.
- Give a bonus score for the time it takes to complete each mission.
- Reset the clock back after completing a mission.
- Only save upon completing a mission.
- Bubbler is obtained from Balrog.
- Anything outside of missions (returning from egg corridor for example) can be either skipped or played out with a cutscene.
- Either allow for branching gameplay so that you can go to areas that require backtracking (the graveyard and first cave for example), or restructure some events (ma pignon).
- Oh, and bonuses for skipping items and life capsules (life capsule bonuses increase exponentially). :D
- Bonus points for the alien medal, lipstick, panties, and other secret items.
- Boss fights are a special type of mission, they have their own timer and scoring system. Though the final bosses at the Balcony all count as one mission and the entirety of hell (including Ballos) is a single mission and scored the same way as a boss fight.
- Ma Pignon's question scene has no timer and is scored by how well you answer the questions. If you leave before checking your inventory then you can't return to the graveyard storeroom and Curly doesn't regain her memory.
- If you are told of Ma Pignon in plantation before the scene where you are knocked out at the teleporter then that scene won't occur until after returning from the fight with ma pignon.
- If you failed to get the mushroom to save Curly by the start of the rocket parts fetch quest then Curly will be missing for the rest of the game.

An example of the missions layout:

First Cave:
exploration, departure

Mimiga Village:
the key, balrog, grave robber

Egg Corridor:
egg corridor, barrier, igor

Grasstown:
get the key, jelly hunt, balrog again, bomb maker, balfrog

Sand Zone:
curly brace, sand zone, omega, arf, toroko

Labyrinth:
the pit, land of the gaudi, pooh black, monster-x, dropping in, balrog once more, teamwork, the core, to safety

Waterway:
waterway, currents, iron head

Mimiga Village:
silent interlude

Egg Corridor:
a flash of light, the sisters, egg zero

Outer Wall:
the great climb

Plantation:
plantation, do you want it, ma pignon, the rocket

Final Cave:
final cave