"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
imagine not bumping a thread for a stupid question

Jan 30, 2020 at 6:15 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok. Thanks for the info and sorry for the stupid question

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:50 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Depends on which version of Jenka's Nightmare you're talking about. The original Jenka's Nightmare by Shmitz doesn't contain any ASM hacks as far as I'm aware, and I don't think JNR does either. In fact, I believe one or more of those versions were ported to PSP, and if it can be ported to PSP, it can probably be ported to CS+.

As for ZarroTsu's new rendition of JN, that probably won't be feasible, because he has a bunch of additional maps in the mod, which breaks one of the constraints of mods in CS+. He and I actually talked about that a few years ago in this very thread.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:28 AM
War criminal
As for ZarroTsu's new rendition of JN, that probably won't be feasible, because he has a bunch of additional maps in the mod
I was spoilered on the 3 MyChar skins that were in that mod, and seeing it has 3 means it uses <MIM, immediately preventing it from being anywhere near portable onto CS+.

Feb 1, 2020 at 3:26 AM
Based Member
Ah, I see. In that case, porting that mod would not be possible even if one were to be creative enough to use the tileset editing tricks that I talked about to reduce the number of maps.

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:37 AM
War criminal
I don't see <MIM being that hard to create in CS+. It's mostly a matter of finding enough space for it, since CS+'s code is actually optimised. (Which, for us, is a bad thing)
Are there any other hacks in it at all?
That, you may have to ask someone who has played the mod. I'm pretty much the only one who hasn't.

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:51 AM
Based Member
There are two major challenges with porting assembly hacks to CS+ mods. One is that there isn't nearly as much documentation on the CS+ executable, so it would be harder to figure out how to implement. The other is that there are so many different versions of the CS+ executable, between the steam version and all of the different humble bundle versions that have been released throughout the years, making some patch that would apply an assembly hack to one version of the EXE could very easily break another version. Making it compatible with all those versions would be very tricky.

Also yes, as strange as it may seem, Stage.tbl does not support more than 95 maps. I kept trying to add more maps to the Stage.tbl file, and transitioning to them in CS+ mods (and verified that the exact equivalent worked in the freeware version), and whenever I did that, the game crashed. I double, triple, and quadruple-checked that I understood the minor discrepancies in the way the map data is constructed in the freeware EXE versus CS+ stage.tbl, made sure I was doing the formatting right and everything, and for some reason the CS+ engine just didn't like to transition to a map number greater than 094. I remember looking through the stage.tbl files of base, Wind Fortress, and Boss Rush, looking things over in my own test mod really carefully, and trying a bunch of things. Eventually I concluded that the CS+ exe simply doesn't like working with more than 95 maps. It's still possible that I missed something, though. Or perhaps they've removed this limitation in later versions of the game.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:05 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Yeah, just ignore Ewan's statement. He's 12.
incorrect

not that it matters but i am 14 and a half years young

there is a reason theres a banner at the top that says not to bump threads. you could very easily message the author of the thread, ask somewhere else like the general modding questions thread, find the links to the discord chats, or even do a little bit of research to find out. i'm not being toxic for the sake of being toxic, i just feel like it's pointless to send notifications to everyone watching the thread just for a one-sentence response.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:18 PM
"Huzzah!"
I know I really shouldn't do this for a little of decency but I have some things to note, I'm going to mention a couple of them:
1.Your profile says that you're 19, but you're now stating that you're a 14 year old, which is weird.
2.I think it's the way you said it
imagine not bumping a thread for a stupid question
that was not very polite towards WolfyBuilder and thus considered toxic. You definitely could have said that in a better way in my opinion.

Feb 3, 2020 at 7:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It says that because I made the account when I was 10 and figured I would be banned if I set my real age. I apologize for the way I said it sounding toxic, it's just a bit infuriating to find new members (that are generally uneducated, but go about getting help the wrong way) making dumb posts like this.

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:55 PM
War criminal
It says that because I made the account when I was 10 and figured I would be banned if I set my real age. I apologize for the way I said it sounding toxic, it's just a bit infuriating to find new members (that are generally uneducated, but go about getting help the wrong way) making dumb posts like this.
To be honest, this is the second time in a row you've done this in this exact thread without actually responding to their questions. As long as Hayden or anyone knows the mod in question for the possibility of porting onto CS+ is around, any questions asked here are perfectly legal.

So tl;dr PLEASE don't backseat mod or don't say anything if it bothers you.

Feb 3, 2020 at 11:08 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
To be honest, this is the second time in a row you've done this in this exact thread without actually responding to their questions. As long as Hayden or anyone knows the mod in question for the possibility of porting onto CS+ is around, any questions asked here are perfectly legal.

So tl;dr PLEASE don't backseat mod or don't say anything if it bothers you.
It's not like you're doing the exact same thing or anything...

The question didn't need answering, it had already been answered by YOU. I was just saying it for the sake of all the other people mildly annoyed by the needless notification! Like I said, he could have directly messaged Hayden if there were a "possibility of porting onto CS+". I'm not sure why you hate me now, you and I used to have conversations in the CSMC and we got along just fine. Please get off your high horse and realize that your post count has nothing to do with your authority on this forum and allow me to voice my concerns in any manner I please. Leave the warnings to Noxid, DT and Andwhy.

So to;dr PLEASE don't backseat mod or don't say anything if it bothers you.

Feb 4, 2020 at 12:34 AM
Based Member
As far as I know there are only really two key versions:
Cave Story+'s Steam release, and the Humble Bundle release.
The thing is, there have been a bunch of different Humble Bundle releases, and the Humble Bundle version doesn't auto-update like the Steam version does. First there was the original December 2011 humble bundle version with the Wind Fortress timer and Sanctuary Time Attack glitches. Then there were later releases that fixed those problems. Then there were the releases that added the machine gun challenge, and then there were releases that added leaderboards that didn't work and the action replays that sometimes work. It's unreasonable to assume that the EXE file is unaltered between those versions, and it's unreasonable to assume that every Humble Bundle player is running the latest version of the game. This is a large part of why I've never been very keen on adding features for messing with the CS+ EXE; a patch for one version could easily break another.

Last edited: