Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Actually yes, you are supposed to access this mod from the challenges menu. That's really weird that you can't see it, and that the nemesis challenge is gone now. I'm not sure what might have happened with the Nemesis Challenge when you incorrectly tried to apply the fourth ending mod that other time, or what other problems that might have caused. Do you have CS+ backed up? If so, start with an unmodified version of the game, and then try applying the port the way I described in my post above.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
No, I don't. The only way I can get the nemesis challenge back is by going back through the game and getting the nemesis. But, I'm hust wondering why its not there though, lol. maybe its cayse im on mac.

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:02 PM
Based Member
Unfortunately, that might be the case. I still haven't really tested this program on Mac, so I can't guarantee that this would work even if you did all the right steps. Also, as a general rule, whenever you're going to be modifying certain aspects of your game, it's always a good idea to back up your game just in case something breaks it.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Uh.... A little help?
Untitled.png
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Why is it in Documents? I’m pretty sure that’s supposed to be the folder of your Cave Story+ copy, which is always in the /Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common directory unless changed in settings.

Also wow, bumped after 11 months. Not the worst I’ve seen...

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:16 PM
War criminal
Also wow, bumped after 11 months. Not the worst I’ve seen...
As long as it's still relevant to the topic, that's not exactly breaking the rules, either.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:29 AM
Based Member
Uh.... A little help?
View attachment 5559
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Huh, that's really weird, I've never seen that happen before. Does this same glitch occur when you have a port open and click "Apply port"?

Also, as an extra note, I've had a growing list of things I've wanted to fix and make another release, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to doing that because I'm really busy with other projects right now. Sorry.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:45 PM
Based Member
One thought just occurred to me. What version of Cave Story+ are you running? Is it the Steam version, or Humble Indie Bundle? If the latter, when did you acquire it? The reason I ask is because I designed this program with the HIB version from back in 2011, which is quite different from some of the later incarnations. If there have been any updates to the game folder structure or text file for mods, then this might be messing with the program.

Could you open up the "data" folder and show me what you see, as well as open up the "mods.txt" file and show me what it looks like? If it's any different from the way I'm used to those files being structured, then that might be the cause.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Could you open up the "data" folder and show me what you see, as well as open up the "mods.txt" file and show me what it looks like? If it's any different from the way I'm used to those files being structured, then that might be the cause.

Here are screenshots of the data folder and the mods.txt file:
Untitled2.png
Untitled3.png

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM
Based Member
That's interesting, so it looks like something messed up that file (I really hope it wasn't Plus Porter that did that). Under "=MOD LIST START=", there are a few lines that look different from how they should.
The line "03 R+ P0P05 /CurlyStory/mod/" shouldn't have the "P0P05", it should just have "P05". And the last line, "05 R+ P2P25 /Nemesis/mod/" shouldn't have the "P2P25", it should just have "P25". Try changing those lines accordingly, and see if it still isn't working. And if not, take a look at the text file and see if Plus Porter has been messing with it. I also find it quite curious that the requirement for all of those got changed to "R+", although that won't break the game.

I might also mention that a couple years ago, I realized that the version of the source code I was working with on my Dropbox is actually an older version than the one I have on one of my external hard drives, and it's possible that during the last release or two I accidentally made a release that set the program back with a bunch of bugs that had previously been fixed back when I did that August 2015 release. If none of this works, try downloading an older version of the program and see if that works any better. Both the May and March 2015 releases should be fine.

I look back at this project and cringe at the fact that my methods of version control were very primitive.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:20 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The line "03 R+ P0P05 /CurlyStory/mod/" shouldn't have the "P0P05", it should just have "P05". And the last line, "05 R+ P2P25 /Nemesis/mod/" shouldn't have the "P2P25", it should just have "P25". Try changing those lines accordingly, and see if it still isn't working. And if not, take a look at the text file and see if Plus Porter has been messing with it. I also find it quite curious that the requirement for all of those got changed to "R+", although that won't break the game.
It worked! Thanks!

Jul 8, 2019 at 4:08 PM
Based Member
My guess is that this is caused by the fact that folder structure navigating works a bit differently in Linux than in Windows. I do recall testing this a bit on Linux and trying to make sure that it was cross-compatible, but that was a few releases ago, so it's possible I could have broken something since then.

As I alluded to before, I regretfully am not in a position to open this project back up right now and fix this, but I can certainly add this to the list of known issues. One thing you could try is seeing if it works a few versions back, but I can't guarantee that's going to work.

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:59 AM
"Huzzah!"
it starts as normal story mode, what should I do?
also, the tiles are too small and I don't know why.

Annotation 2019-11-19 212150.png

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 3:30 AM
War criminal
The mod you're porting has Vanilla tiles (16x16 pixels in size) vs the 32x32 pixel tiles Cave Story is clearly trying to read considering Quote, the HP refill, and the Save Floppy. You need to resize them consequently.

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:42 AM
"Huzzah!"
cool, now to fix the Starting Story mode problem

Jan 30, 2020 at 1:58 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is there any way to port Jenka’s nightmare?