Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Mar 16, 2018 at 2:17 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Its on the cave story forums the mods name is Quote in Windows 8 for PSP
here are some screenshots of what the program looked like before and after i ported the mod

Attachments

• SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (DRAMATICS).png
    SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (DRAMATICS).png
    45.8 KB · Views: 6
  • THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(still draMATICS).png
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(still draMATICS).png
    39.3 KB · Views: 6
Mar 17, 2018 at 2:10 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, it looks like you did everything right. I've been trying some things out throughout my free time today and it appears that were some oversights on my part when I made this program, as well as some things that I could have sworn I fixed but somehow must have broken some time later when I was adding features. The first thing I'll note is that your mod has capitalized "BMP" images, which the program doesn't recognize. So in order to have all your images recognized, you'd better change it to lowercase bmp or pbm in Cave Editor or Booster's Lab. I don't know why it's not detecting any of your modified .pxm or .pxe files, and I also don't know why it's not detecting the different map data and generating a modified stage.tbl accordingly. I'm almost positive I had this all working in an earlier release.

My sincere apologies for these issues, I think that a new release with these bugfixes will be in order. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with college course work, so I'm probably not going to be able to get a new release out until late May at earliest. Until then, what you can do is see how the stage.tbl file in CS+ is constructed, and use a hex editor to make your own stage.tbl in accordance with the map data of your mod. And then manually replace the .pxm and .pxe files that are modified in your mod. That last part is very straightforward.

Sorry again for these problems. If you really want to get this mod ported soon but don't want to go to those measures, then I can look through my earlier releases and find out which versions had the "Replace stage folder" and the replacing stage.tbl working, and refer you to that version to get your resources working.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:15 AM
Well, it looks like you did everything right. I've been trying some things out throughout my free time today and it appears that were some oversights on my part when I made this program, as well as some things that I could have sworn I fixed but somehow must have broken some time later when I was adding features. The first thing I'll note is that your mod has capitalized "BMP" images, which the program doesn't recognize. So in order to have all your images recognized, you'd better change it to lowercase bmp or pbm in Cave Editor or Booster's Lab. I don't know why it's not detecting any of your modified .pxm or .pxe files, and I also don't know why it's not detecting the different map data and generating a modified stage.tbl accordingly. I'm almost positive I had this all working in an earlier release.

My sincere apologies for these issues, I think that a new release with these bugfixes will be in order. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy with college course work, so I'm probably not going to be able to get a new release out until late May at earliest. Until then, what you can do is see how the stage.tbl file in CS+ is constructed, and use a hex editor to make your own stage.tbl in accordance with the map data of your mod. And then manually replace the .pxm and .pxe files that are modified in your mod. That last part is very straightforward.

Sorry again for these problems. If you really want to get this mod ported soon but don't want to go to those measures, then I can look through my earlier releases and find out which versions had the "Replace stage folder" and the replacing stage.tbl working, and refer you to that version to get your resources working.
no the bmps are working fine

Mar 26, 2018 at 5:42 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
How do I patch these mods? I know I've seen it somewhere but I have looked through the majority of this thread and have found nothing.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:13 AM
Based Member
How do I patch these mods? I know I've seen it somewhere but I have looked through the majority of this thread and have found nothing.
By "patch these mods" do you mean apply them to CS+? To do that, you first make sure you have a CS+ directory open, then open the port, then apply the port vie the "apply port" option in the file menu. This will install the mod into your selected installation of CS+.

Mar 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
By "patch these mods" do you mean apply them to CS+? To do that, you first make sure you have a CS+ directory open, then open the port, then apply the port vie the "apply port" option in the file menu. This will install the mod into your selected installation of CS+.
Yeah, that's what I meant (I think). Thanks!

May 31, 2018 at 12:38 AM
"Huzzah!"
Hey, not sure if this thread is dead or not but I was wondering if Plus Porter worked for Mac? I'm trying to port the fourth ending onto the Steam version, but even though I can launch the program, nothing is interactable - all the buttons are blank and unclickable. I think something similar is mentioned in the instructions, but I have no idea what it's referring to. I've fixed the crash issue for the game itself, so that shouldn't be the issue.

May 31, 2018 at 3:52 AM
Hey, not sure if this thread is dead or not but I was wondering if Plus Porter worked for Mac? I'm trying to port the fourth ending onto the Steam version, but even though I can launch the program, nothing is interactable - all the buttons are blank and unclickable. I think something similar is mentioned in the instructions, but I have no idea what it's referring to. I've fixed the crash issue for the game itself, so that shouldn't be the issue.
It will not work since the game is a mac version of it. This was meant for a windows OS.

May 31, 2018 at 3:56 AM
Based Member
This thread is in fact not dead, and you actually have pretty good timing.

I never tested this on Mac, because I didn't have a Mac when I first made this application, but I do now. I tried to do some things to make it cross-compatible with Mac an Linux, although I never did take into account any of the nuances that might be associated with the Mac version of the game itself. I was actually going to look back into working on a new release in lieu of the issues raised back in March, so I can look into this as well while I'm at it. Again, though, if CS+ for Mac is structured much differently than the Windows version, then there might not be much worth in making this work with Mac.

May 31, 2018 at 4:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
This thread is in fact not dead, and you actually have pretty good timing.

I never tested this on Mac, because I didn't have a Mac when I first made this application, but I do now. I tried to do some things to make it cross-compatible with Mac an Linux, although I never did take into account any of the nuances that might be associated with the Mac version of the game itself. I was actually going to look back into working on a new release in lieu of the issues raised back in March, so I can look into this as well while I'm at it. Again, though, if CS+ for Mac is structured much differently than the Windows version, then there might not be much worth in making this work with Mac.

Ahh, alright. Well, thank you for replying & I hope it goes well!

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:45 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I've never modded. How do I load the CS with a 4th ending mod into my copy of CS+? I'm using a mac, but since this is a java application that isn't windows exclusive, I don't think that's going to affect much.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:04 AM
Based Member
I've never modded. How do I load the CS with a 4th ending mod into my copy of CS+? I'm using a mac, but since this is a java application that isn't windows exclusive, I don't think that's going to affect much.
I'll admit I haven't tried this on MAC, so I can't promise this will work, but you can see what happens when you first make sure you have a CS+ directory open, then open the port, then apply the port via the "apply port" option in the file menu. This will install the mod into your selected installation of CS+.

To do this, go to "File" -> "Open port...", browse to the folder of the port you wish to open, and click "Open." After the port has been loaded, go to "File" -> "Apply port", and a window will open up listing all mods currently installed in that game of CS+, and the order in which they'll be listed in the challenge menu (with the one at the top appearing on the main menu). You are able to arrange the mods in whatever order you want the challenge menu to list them, and then click the "Apply port!" button to apply the port to your Cave Story+ installation. Exit out of plus porter, and you'll now be able to experience the mod in Cave Story+.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:05 AM
Will the 4th ending mod also work if I replace the stage folder with the one for the mod?

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:04 AM
Based Member
That alone will not work because Plus Porter needs to apply the 2x res graphics that are currently in an encrypted form and unpack them into the installation. That also wouldn't work because it doesn't take into account some of the modified NPC sprite sheets, global scripts, and extra credit art images.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:22 AM
Ah, thank you. I'll remember that tomorrow. O yeah, on another note, since this mod is just an expansion of CS, essentially, I won't have to replace the stage folder again, no?

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:56 PM
Based Member
Well no, replacing the stage folder isn't what you want to do. The CS+ port of the mod has already been made, all you have to do is download it from the opening post in this thread, unzip it, open it up in Plus Porter, and apply it to your local CS+ installation. Then it will be available from the challenges menu when you load up the game, and it won't go away unless you delete it. The only caveat is that I believe it will share save file slots with Curly Story, because if it didn't, then there would be graphical issues for some reason I don't understand.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:22 PM
I made the port by going to new port>foldername 4endings>apply port but now the nemesis challenge is missing and the only things on the challenges menu are TAS, wind fortress, boss attack, MG challenge & '???'

help?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:32 AM
Based Member
That's not what you want to do at all. First off you'll want to undo what you just did, and the easiest way to do that would probably be to go to "Settings" -> "Manage Ports", then select the incomplete port that you tried to install, click the red "X" to remove it from the list of challenges, and then click accept.

Now to properly install the port, what you need to do is download the port of my fourth ending mod that has already been made (which can be found in the opening post to this thread), extract the folder, and open it in Plus Porter by going to "File" -> "Open port..." and browse to the mod's folder. Then you click "File" -> "Apply port", and apply the port.

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:03 AM
So, just to confirm...I don't access this mod from the challenges menu, correct? Because..i did what you said, and theres still the missing nemesis challenge in the challenges menu & no 4th ending mod. Gh.

Last edited: