Plus Porter (1.1.0.1)

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:53 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Rubyyoshi said:
The only thing that happened, is that the message box went to 6 before it gave the option to browse for the directory or mod, then said 7 and then opened it.
Hm, so now it's working for you. It sounds like you didn't really have any problems... Although you did say you eventually got the menu options to work with the non-debugged version. You ran the debugged version without the console window open, right? I probably need someone who absolutely couldn't get those menu options to work without the command window to try out the debugged version. Nothing wrong with your feedback though, thanks for reporting.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:18 PM
Based Member
Okay. Not much changed, but there's a new official release: Plus Porter v1.0.5.1

Changes in this new version:
-Made the program also check global scripts when removing equal signs from tsc files
-Integrated a debug option in preferences in order to hopefully help find the root cause of the glitch of the file chooser not always showing up

This is mainly for the purposes of helping me figure out why some users are unable to get the "Open port..." and "Open CS+ directory" options to work. I'll be crossing my fingers hoping for some users having this issue to tell me what happens in "debug mode." In the meantime, I'll be continuing to see if I can get going with something like what andwhy suggested as an alternative to my graphics filtering algorithm.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey there HaydenStudios. I am thinking of downloading your program, but before I do, I would like to ask a few questions:

1. This question might sound stupid, but does this work with the Steam version of the game?

And 2. When I put a mod into Cave Story+, does the mod go into the main game (so will it affect my main save file), or will it be put on the menu like the Challenges and Curly Story are?

3. When I set the directories, can they have save data (profile.dat (and window.rect in the freeware version)) in the folders? Apart from that, they are unmodified.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:44 PM
Based Member
Gutawer said:
1. This question might sound stupid, but does this work with the Steam version of the game?
Yes, this program works with the Steam version.

Gutawer said:
2. When I put a mod into Cave Story+, does the mod go into the main game (so will it affect my main save file), or will it be put on the menu like the Challenges and Curly Story are?
The mods you install will not replace the main story mode; they'll be listed on the challenges menu with Boss Rush, Wind Fortress, etc.

Gutawer said:
3. When I set the directories, can they have save data (profile.dat (and window.rect in the freeware version)) in the folders? Apart from that, they are unmodified.
Yes, you may have your profile.dat along with other files in that folder. As long as the game's exe and the contents of the "data" folder have not been altered, your Cave Story directory is essentially unmodified.

Thank you for considering trying this program out, and I hope you enjoy it if you decide to.

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks! Gonna download it when I have time.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have been trying to use this porter to port over your Cavestory 4 endings mod, but for some reason, the file just does not open. No matter what compatibility mode i choose, the file does not want to run. Not even Administrator rights get it to run for some reason. Ive also tried some of the previous versions, which come across with the same problem. Aside from the game itself, are there any other requirements to launching the file?

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:42 PM
Based Member
Ziggums said:
I have been trying to use this porter to port over your Cavestory 4 endings mod, but for some reason, the file just does not open. No matter what compatibility mode i choose, the file does not want to run. Not even Administrator rights get it to run for some reason. Ive also tried some of the previous versions, which come across with the same problem. Aside from the game itself, are there any other requirements to launching the file?
You mean the exe just doesn't want to run at all? That's strange. The only thing I can think of is that you Java might not be up to date. Have you checked that?

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Turns ot my java /was/ out of date, i could swear i had it updated. Many thanks, it works now.

May 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Based Member
Another version of Plus Porter is available. You may either download it from the original post, or here: Plus Porter v1.1.0.0

Changes in this new version:
-Made the image filtering process something that is done at the request of the user rather than automatically
-Finally fixed the glitch that would corrupt bitmaps of a bit depth lower than 24
-Discontinued wrapping the program into an exe, and made some behind the scenes tweaking to facilitate cross-compatibility.

This new version primarily addresses the issue reported by Thunderchin that wrapping the jar into an exe rendered it incompatible with any non-Windows operating system. This may be the final version of this program. This program isn't perfect, but I'm confident that it can serve its purpose with stability. I'll consider making bugfixes if people report annoying glitches, but apart from that, I'm pretty much done working on this program. I'd like to thank everyone who has given feedback and tried this program out, your support is greatly appreciated, and I encourage people to continue trying out this program. I plan on soon making a video tutorial so that there won't be as steep of a learning curve for the less adept users.

One issue some have brought up that this new version does not address is the inefficient method used for scanning for NICALiS graphics. I was originally going to revamp that section of code, but decided against it. I know it's bad practice to leave bad code hanging around like that and some may consider it lazy to consciously avoid improving something, but please hear me out; after really thinking about it, the cost of going to the trouble of overhauling the scanning algorithm outweighs the benefit of having the process complete faster. Given the small number of people who will probably be using this program to port mods, I would in the end be spending more time re-writing that code than would be saved waiting less time for images to get scanned. Not only that, but the people who really cared about the inner workings of the image scanning process seemed to be interested in that only, and not in actually using the program itself, so there would have been even less payoff in rewriting that part. I appreciate the feedback that Noxid, Gir, and Andwhy have given, and I will try to apply the enlightenment gained from that discussion to a future project if possible, but Plus Porter will remain as it is.

There's still room for improvement on Plus Porter, but I've put a lot of effort into making it this past year-and-a-half, I'm proud of my work, and I'm ready to move onto another project.

May 15, 2015 at 3:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I should've said this earlier, but the PlusPorter worked! Even though I deleted my 4th ending save (saves transfer to Curly Story), I have since started a new game. Thank you for your advice Hayden.

May 16, 2015 at 8:20 PM
Based Member
Great! Glad that it's working for you!

May 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, i've been having trouble porting "Cave Story A Lost Land". Whenever I apply the mod and play the game, it just runs the normal cave story instead of the mod. Any idea why this happens?

May 17, 2015 at 7:35 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Are you just pressing the regular game instead of the challenges?

May 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No, I make sure to go into challenges and I open the challenge that says "A Lost Land". So I'm sure I'm applying the mod right, it just doesn't run.

May 18, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Based Member
I'm a little bit confused. First, you said that it just ran regular Story Mode, and then you're telling me that it doesn't run. Based on what you're saying, I'm sensing 2 possibilities:

1: It started regular story mode because you didn't properly change the start point script. When you port a mod to CS+, it automatically starts you out in room #13 with event number 200, regardless of what settings you had in Cave Editor or Booster's Lab. So when making a CS+ port, you have to modify event number 200 in room #13 and re-route it to the event you want to take place first in the mod. If you use the "auto-port" feature, then it should detect if the start settings were changed and accordingly modify room #13's script for you.

2: You got the start script re-routed as you should have, but something weird happened because you tried to transition to a map that the program didn't consider valid. Cave Story+ doesn't play well with more than 95 maps for some reason, and Carrotlord decided to add a bunch of maps when he made A Lost Land. If you try to transition to a map number outside of that limit (regardless of whether or not it exists), the game will crash. An extra challenge in the porting process is that some mods require you to delete unused maps. Andwhyisit might still have his copy of the mod that he used for porting it to Mac and PSP, I'm going to see if he's willing to share it with us.

May 19, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The situation is probably the latter, as the game crashes instead of opening like normal.

May 31, 2015 at 1:52 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I have recently bought Cave Story + and gotten Plus Porter, and I had the known issue of nothing appearing upon clicking Open CS+ Directory and/or Open Port. I read the readme, and turned on Enable Debug, but to no avail. When i click on Open Port a message comes up reading 1, then I click OK and another message comes up reading 2, I click OK again to no avail, no Explorer Window appears. Clicking on Open CS+ Directory is similar but only message reading 1 appears and then nothing happens again. I am currently running Windows 7, and java, if it matters and/or helps. Thanks in advance!

May 31, 2015 at 3:48 AM
Based Member
thomasco2013 said:
I have recently bought Cave Story + and gotten Plus Porter, and I had the known issue of nothing appearing upon clicking Open CS+ Directory and/or Open Port. I read the readme, and turned on Enable Debug, but to no avail. When i click on Open Port a message comes up reading 1, then I click OK and another message comes up reading 2, I click OK again to no avail, no Explorer Window appears. Clicking on Open CS+ Directory is similar but only message reading 1 appears and then nothing happens again. I am currently running Windows 7, and java, if it matters and/or helps. Thanks in advance!
That is extremely helpful, thank your for reporting that. Hopefully now I can figure out what might be causing this problem. I'll report back with more information on this later.

May 31, 2015 at 4:40 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Okay, thank you, glad I could be of some assistance!

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow! I can defiantly see how this mod porter can be useful, I own Plus myself and I would love to have a few mods on it! SWEET!!!