Please sign my change.org petition to update and fix Cave Story+ for Steam!

Dec 15, 2017 at 7:57 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
As neat of an idea this would be, we would really need more than just the 34 recurring members that visit here. We'd need someone with a large influence over a lot of people to make aware of this petition.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
As neat of an idea this would be, we would really need more than just the 34 recurring members that visit here. We'd need someone with a large influence over a lot of people to make aware of this petition.

Spread the word. It will take time, but if we all do so it'll be noticed, it's already publically viewable in the site.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:21 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I doubt Nicalis will bother...

...though if you need an audience to get to, try the Cave Story Reddit.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:49 PM
Based Member
I'm sorry my friend, but this would probably not get NICALiS to fix these glitches, even if you were able to get 20,000 signatures. They know their games are glitched, but they just aren't good at polishing them at all.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I doubt Nicalis will bother...

...though if you need an audience to get to, try the Cave Story Reddit.

Yeah I do too, but no shame in trying, right?

Thanks for the suggestion, time to undust my Reddit account...

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I'm sorry my friend, but this would probably not get NICALiS to fix these glitches, even if you were able to get 20,000 signatures. They know their games are glitched, but they just aren't good at polishing them at all.
They need to do like 2 hex patches the community already made to fix the the two biggest issues with the game (mac port not finding the data folder and the best ending achievement using the wrong string in steam.dll)

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:17 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
They need to do like 2 hex patches the community already made to fix the the two biggest issues with the game (mac port not finding the data folder and the best ending achievement using the wrong string in steam.dll)
He means other features from the switch version.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:44 AM
War criminal
He means other features from the switch version.
Eh, I mean you can make your own version of the tiling, just don't do it over the original graphics if you wish to distribute them. For the other shit in the Switch version, good luck with that.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:10 PM
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
First of all, petitions do not make a company or organisation forced to do what people petition them to do, so it won't mean an instawin, even if your voice is heard they can always just deny it (chance to succeed still exists though!). Hope you know this stuff works that way.
But most importantly, I honestly expect them to instead make a new port that costs more, than to update the old one (and possibly raise it's price). Not everyone is as generous as Yacht Cub with Shovel Knight.

As for the petition itself.
The Steam Port lacks options available in the freeware version such as Widescreen support.
Vanilla Cave Story never offered widescreen either you know. Though the effort needed to make widescreen fit (small rooms can be an issue, especially with balfrog, though this could probably be fixed.). Did Wii did this...?
even a Switch release has updated features such as Local Coop, Widescreen support, new soundtracks, updated graphics (Including animated speech faces). Which is not only insulting to people who loved Cave Story where it began to exist: PC, but also insulting to other players who bought the game to support them only to be left hanging at the end
First of all why is this an insult to people who like the game from the start? It has been almost 13 years since the original cave story was released, and 6 years since the steam port. Support can be nice and stuff, but that doesn't mean you are entitled to get free game updates. It's like you're expecting to get an SNES game for free on a later system because you have the original (though the Wii U e-shop did give me discounts for games I bought for Wii Virtual Console).
and it gets even worse when Nicalis draws Quote, Curly Brace and Balrog for a Nicalis sale in Steam, they acknowledge it's existence but refuse to update it.
A lot of popular games (which includes Cave Story) on steam got stickers during the summer sale but I don't see them getting updates for that either.

Honestly I've seen even worse cases of remakes and ports that make Cave Story+ look good that didn't even get updates in the first place.
But as always with posts like these of mine, this is just what I think.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM
Professional Whatever
they already know their community wants the steam version fixed, they just don't care cuz its old and wouldnt net them any profit
p361607-0-0698af00db2f64131e35415f579d4fdd.png

stuff like this is pointless; they don't give a damn about their product after the fact as long as they can keep making it and keep siphoning money off of it

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:52 PM
It's like you're expecting to get an SNES game for free on a later system because you have the original (though the Wii U e-shop did give me discounts for games I bought for Wii Virtual Console).
No, on NICALiS’s website, they treat the steam and switch release as the same game. This is false advertising to PC users who expect to have dynamic lighting and widescreen support like the pictures on the website suggest.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
No, on NICALiS’s website, they treat the steam and switch release as the same game. This is false advertising to PC users who expect to have dynamic lighting and widescreen support like the pictures on the website suggest.
Mmm as far as I can see they mostly show screenshots of the Switch port and mention alt characters. Though I wouldnt see whats so wrong with the page when it says the time between both releases is about 6 years and you'll probably pass the steam page first before buying the pc version.

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
mention alt characters.
Yes, alternate characters (Such as a recolored Quote, King, the migma children, and one other is playable up to my knowledge from a co-op gameplay video on the Switch, I also believe that Curly will be an unlockable.).