Physical release?

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, I'm terribly sorry for bumping this, but I am a big fan of Cave Story and I am a big video game vinyl collector. The Nintendo Switch release of the game has reinvigorated my interest in the series and I ended up finding out about this release much too soon. I know this has been out of production for a long time now but I was wondering if there was either any info that can be provided to me about this release or if there was a chance any copies were for sale by anyone. I'm sure the best way to get a hold of me would be to PM me, but if anyone has anything they can tell me, I'd appreciate it

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was when I saw your name here ;)

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yes I still have two copies. When I've run out of copies I will post something here to that effect, so until then assume I have copies.

It's $23US and $12US on top of that to ship to the US, which is where I am going to assume you are from (shipping being so expensive because it is being shipped from Australia). So $35US all up.

If the price is an issue then tell me and we can work something out, because I just want to recover shelf space at this point.

Send me a PM or email me at realmmaster26@hotmail.com with your physical mailing address and I will throw you a Paypal link (or whatever payment method you prefer really).

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Email has been sent

Edit: I'm gonna send you a PM as well to discuss further

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 2:03 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
..aaaand that's it for the records. Any more records from here on out will be more expensive since they won't be ordered in bulk.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just wanted to publicly say thanks to andwhyisit for getting me a copy of the soundtrack. It took a few weeks, but it arrived safely. It simply looks and sounds fantastic

If anyone is interested, I will be putting this vinyl on my YouTube channel, which specializes in playing video game vinyls from start to finish. I hope to have both videos up this week. If you are someone who missed out on a copy, or owns a copy but won't play it, either leave a reply here or PM me and I'll let you know when the videos are up

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:49 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oh, you'll still do more??
Not really. I'll just act as a middle-man between anyone that still wants any and the manufacturers, so that the manufacturers know that their order is an extension of my original order and can be charged as such. The manufacturers will ship directly, whoever wants it can pay the manufacturers directly, and the overall price including shipping will be somewhat more expensive (by $10 or so) than when I had these produced in bulk. *shrug*

At least that is the idea.

Given that the original price was a sticking point for some I can't see many people taking this up, but I'll leave the option on the table anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 1:12 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Hey, sorry to bump this, but this page is one of the first things that comes up when looking for this, and trying to find all the current information related to this can be difficult.

If you want a copy of the record, it is still possible to purchase one, however you have to purchase a copy from the company who made them directly. These records are lathe cut, not pressed. They are, however, lathe cut into actual vinyl discs according to their FAQ. This is in contrast to the commonly used poly carbonate for lathe cut records. Will this sound as good as pressed? No, depending on what you're listening with, you could hear the difference between pressed and lathe cut. Does it sound very good for lathe cut records and even pretty close to pressed records? Yes. Edit: After contacting One Cut Vinyl, the material used is in fact poly carbonate, however I've since received the record and it sounds fine.

The company you need to contact is One Cut Vinyl, their website is here: https://www.onecutvinyl.com/

If you order a single copy, the price is going to be a lot higher than when these were purchased in bulk. If you want to know how expensive it will be, go to their website's price calculator and enter these options:
Record size: 12" Black 1.5 mm
Speed: 33 1/3
Discs: 1
Tracks: 18
Side A playing time: 20 min
Side B playing time: 20 min
Round centre labels on disc: printed labels
Record jacket: Black card disco bag
Check "Repeat Previous Order"

For reference, all this plus shipping to USA costs £60.42 at the time of writing, or around 77 USD. Shipping to European countries is more expensive than shipping to the US for some reason, even though they're in the UK. You could also try to find others and order together, which would bring the price per piece down. On their website you can only enter 6 discs max, but if you would need more, you can write them an e-mail and receive an invoice.

You can write them an e-mail here: info@onecutvinyl.com
and ask for an invoice for a single copy (or more) of this record. Be sure to mention that the original order was done with the e-mail address realmmaster26@hotmail.com.
Although this is expensive, the quality of the record is quite good and they already have all the files on hand and ready to go. You're essentially getting exactly what was made here before. They also replied quite fast and were friendly.

You could of course try to find someone who will cut you a record locally with the same quality, but I couldn't find anyone who would do it at a lower price near me. If you want to go this route, you can find the files (label images and flac music files) used for this project here: https://www.cavestory.org/music/vinyl/

Also, I thought it was a shame that this came without a jacket and I wanted a nice jacket with some art for my record, so I had a local printing company who does LP jackets print me one. I made it by scaling up some of my favorite pixel art and the logos, using nearest neighbor scaling. I saw the idea for the cover online and recreated it using the in-game art so that there aren't any artifacts, and added the English and Japanese logos.
I was worried some of the text on the spine would be too small and come out mushed together, but their printer had a very high resolution and it came out beautifully. I've attached the file I sent the printers, be aware that the positions of everything was chosen based on the template they sent me. If you want to have this printed, you might have to edit it based on the template of your printer.

Attachments

• LP_Cover.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited: