7- Eye of Flame
8- moonsong
9- Cave Story
10- Final Cave
11- Balcony
12- Running Hell
13- Final Battle
14- The Way Back home

Maybe move pulse to right after eye of flame? insert gravity? oh and I forgot almond...

No offense, I personally dont think Pulse or Balcony should be on there. Theyre good songs, but both lack the substance and importance the rest of them have in my opinon. In addition to the songs Zxin suggested, where's the love for Safety, White, Hero's End and Toroko's Theme? The game has about 45+ tracks, and I don't think a mere 14 of those are a fair representation of the soundtrack.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
If there are two sides, surely you can fit in more tracks on the other side. Fourteen tracks certainly won't cover both sides unless you plan on having the tracks loop multiple times before fading out.

Theyre good songs, but both lack the substance and importance the rest of them have in my opinon.

Idk if you're going by a track's significance to Cave Story, then Pulse and Balcony seem like fair game to include over the menu exclusive tracks. I'm not seeing what makes these ones lack importance over White or something.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Idk if you're going by a track's significance to Cave Story, then Pulse and Balcony seem like fair game to include over the menu exclusive tracks. I'm not seeing what makes these ones lack importance over White or something.

Fair point. I misspoke and let my biases for tracks like White and Safety show a bit too much. Thanks for calling me out on that. Don't get me wrong, I like Pulse and Balcony a lot, but to have those two in and neglect tracks like Safety, White and Toroko's Theme (Which I personally feel have more substance as well as importance to the game, but thats just my opinion.) seems a bit silly to me.

And to address the amount of songs on the physical release, I was thinking anywhere from 24 to 27 tracks would accurately portray the soundtrack's musical diversity. But of course, the final decision should be a group thing since those are the people planning on purchasing the soundtrack.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Fair point. I misspoke and let my biases for tracks like White and Safety show a bit too much. Thanks for calling me out on that. Don't get me wrong, I like Pulse and Balcony a lot, but to have those two in and neglect tracks like Safety, White and Toroko's Theme (Which I personally feel have more substance as well as importance to the game, but thats just my opinion.) seems a bit silly to me.

And to address the amount of songs on the physical release, I was thinking anywhere from 24 to 27 tracks would accurately portray the soundtrack's musical diversity. But of course, the final decision should be a group thing since those are the people planning on purchasing the soundtrack.
Yeah I mean I think Safety has some significance to the game as well, so I can see why it would be a possibility. I mean one can argue the significance of White and Toroko's theme since they focus on some of the well known side characters in the game rather than being just a general overall theme. Of course there's something to be said about maybe including the tracks that the ones interested enjoy most, that they'd want to listen to over and over, that deserve to be treasured in vinyl. Well anyways it's up to you guys.

It's spelled zxin.
I mean if you want to be technically correct, Zxin is still spelled the same as zxin. It's just written differently. But I digress.

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:31 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
One way of voting for the tracklist is to do something similar to what some music subreddits do to gauge albums and stuff: instead of voting for songs we want, we list all of the tracks and one-by-one vote to eliminate one off until it all fits time-wise, then we can split the two sides and determine the order or whatever. It's more balanced then positive rating systems I think.

Just a suggestion, will take longer because we're only removing one highest-voted track each 24 hours or whatever round time-limit is used. Should probably get a more definite list of buyers and make it a private poll (I never agreed to anything in my first post but yes count me in).

Heck, actually with a small group if we all try to do it at the same time we can advance rounds upon receiving all the votes, no time limit needed, or use a different method all together since we're not dealing with thousand-people polls in the first place, Perhaps set up a group to discuss what bonus items we want (jacket and sleeves) and what to use for album artwork and such... So many variables to discuss and ways of doing it.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016 at 1:14 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
the discord chat room would be a prefect place since all of us are on there anyway.

and yeah that list; I forgot quite a bit didn't I?

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:38 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Here's a list of all tracks after removing internal percussion tracks, jingles, and XXXX for reference:
Access
Balcony
Balrog's Theme
Break Down
Cave Story
Cemetery
Charge
Eyes of Flame
Gameover
Geothermal
Gestation
Gravity
Halloween 2
Hero's End
Jenka 1
Jenka 2
Labyrinth Fight
Last Battle
Last Cave
Living Waterway
Meltdown 2
Meltdown
Mimiga Town
Mischievous Robot
Moonsong
On to Grasstown
Oppression
People of the Root
Pier Walk
Plant
Pulse
Quiet
Run!
Running Hell
Safety
Scorching Back
Seal Chamber
Snoopy Cake (Rockorg)
The Way Back Home
Toroko's Theme
Tyrant
White
Wind Fortress
Zombie

I effectively need to slice that list in half.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016 at 2:50 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
I'm sure that we can all agree off the bat that:

Charge
Gameover
Halloween 2
Meltdown
People of the Root
Pier Walk
Quiet
Run!
Seal Chamber
Snoopy Cake (Rockorg)
Tyrant
Zombie

all have to go first of all.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I'm sure that we can all agree off the bat that:

Charge
Gameover
Halloween 2
Meltdown
People of the Root
Pier Walk
Quiet
Run!
Seal Chamber
Snoopy Cake (Rockorg)
Tyrant
Zombie

all have to go first of all.
Actually I was going to suggest removing:

Access
Charge
Gameover
Geothermal
Last Cave
Meltdown
Pulse
Run!
Tyrant
Zombie

I suppose I can agree on Seal Chamber. I have always been a huge fan of Quiet, but I can understand that I'm probably in a minority there. However I'm not sure about the beta orgs since I remember really liking one or two of them, but I can't remember which, and Halloween 2 has this really fun vibe to it, so I'm hoping it stays. I think I might relisten to all the songs tonight so I can get a feel for them while they are fresh in my mind.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016 at 4:01 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I won't be interested in a vinyl (although I think the idea is sweet!), just here to say that you may be thinking of Plant on the completely biased reasoning that it's the beta song I like the most. :mahin:

Speaking of the beta songs, it's probably worth establishing early whether you folks want to have them on the vinyl. They're not in the game, and it's up to personal opinion how significant that is, but there are some really nice tracks and pieces in that group.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:24 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Maybe we could make printable templates you could cut out and put in a CD case. And if you had the right paper a printable CD label? Then you could put them on your own burnt CD. I dunno. Just an idea. I think that's as close as we could get. Pixel and Nicalis definitely have no plans to do that anytime soon.

I dunno. I hate to be a crusher of dreams but unless we get a "Now That's What I Call Indie Game Music" I think we can only dream.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016 at 6:43 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
oh and some more things to add would be that I want Geothermal; and access can go.

I would let breakdown go before geothermal.

Also we should discuss cover art at some point.

p218902-0-670cb20131021062416pathprefixcavestory.png

something like this maybe?

E: WIND FORTRESS; I WANT WIND FORTRESS

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2016 at 7:36 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
My (actually rather lengthy) suggestions for removal:
Access (unless it was the intro, then it works)
Cemetery (it's okay but not that noteworthy for compilation purposes IMO)
Charge
Eyes of Flame (I'm likely in the minority but this track always felt weird to me)
Gameover
Halloween 2 (unused)
Hero's End (It's okay but not noteworthy/only for cowards ending)
Jenka 1 (same with EyesOfFlame, idk)
Meltdown (unused... don't remember what it was)
People of the Root (unused)
Pier Walk (actually I remember this being a favorite, but I agree with removing these ones)
Plant (same with cemetery)
Pulse (meh)
Run!
Snoopy Cake (unused)
Toroko's Theme (would rather keep white)
Tyrant (white noise on vinyl)
Zombie

My suggestions for what is essential to the game. Would be very disappointed if removed:
Cave Story (duh)
Gestation
Gravity (this is legit my default ringtone)
Last Battle
Mimiga Town
Moonsong
Running Hell
The Way Back Home (great ending track)

And now my suggestions for niche tracks I particularly like:
Break Down
Geothermal
Jenka 2
Living Waterway
Meltdown 2
Oppression (love this one in particular)
Quiet (we def should have a quiet one (could be pulse or SealCham) somewhere in there)
Scorching Back (love this one in particular)
Wind Fortress

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Personal favourites:
Breakdown
Quiet
Hero's End
Moonsong
Last Battle
Labyrinth Fight