Orgasm 0.5.0 Beta Released

Nov 23, 2006 at 2:33 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
http://star.walagata.com/w/osmose/ORGasm051Beta.zip

Known Bugs:

-Empty space can be seen to the right if window is expanded large enough.
-Program lags horribly when scrolling more than a little bit at a time.

Features that have yet to be added:

-Ability to change instruments. I had meant to add this in but forgot until I already was typing this and decided that, since it's not meant to be really used until after this Beta it would be fine. Files you open retain their instruments, though.
-Playback. I had trouble with it before, and I'm having trouble with it now. Anyone who has any idea how I should go about playing the files back from samples is welcome to suggest something - I'm still looking into DirectX8 as of now.
-Group selection of notes. I'm going to make it able to select multiple notes and delete or move them, making the "shift and such" functions from OrgMaker 2 much more easier to perform in ORGasm.
-Changing loop position. Another thing I had meant to add in for this but other feature took precedence and I'm eager for feedback on what is there now.
-Skinning. At some point there will be the option to make your own roll graphics and such and use them in ORGasm.
-Copy and Paste. After group selection I'll add in the ability to copy and paste notes between songs and such to make repetitive music easy to make.
-Save All. Obvious.
-Buttons to change the length of new notes. As of now it simply replicates the last note's length.

Description: ORGasm is a project of mine that is aimed at making an editor for ORG files that is easier to use than OrgMaker and can do more, such as copy and pasting or generating random notes to base tunes or beats off of.

The interface is based off of the piano roll from FL Studio, and many of the features are taken from that. This beta is so I can get feedback on how people like the feel of the program and what needs to be fixed before I move onto more complex features. Any feedback is welcome, be it good or bad.

Instructions: To create a new file go to File->New, or open an existing file with File->Open. To place a note on the roll simply click. To move a note, move the mouse over the note until the cursor changes to a cross and drag it. To stretch, move the mouse to the right side of the note until the mouse changes to the stretch cursor thing. To delete notes right click them or drag over them while holding the right mouse button. Editing Panning or Volume is the same as in OrgMaker, including pitch changes within a single note.

Be warned that if you place one note in the same column as another one, the old one WILL BE DELETED. Since OrgMaker can only handle one note on one channel at a time, you need to be aware of this.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:42 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I haven't had a chance to try it out just yet, but I wanted to say THank you! Tools like this will make my life a lot easier..!! OrgView seemed to reset my computer randomly... and I had an awkard time editing; I'll be checking this out soon ;)

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:49 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'm too used to the ORGmaker, and in my trial of this i couldn't save. Sorry...

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:07 AM
"..."
I can understand being too used to OrgMaker (And with the Beta I'd recommend you still use OrgMaker until this is finished, anyway. It's all about whether people like the interface or not.). But it couldn't save? What happened and what went wrong? Was there anything special in the song at the time?

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It says I need something called "comdlg32.ocx" Found it easily enough using Google, but you may want to warn people.

Now, bugs:

Whenever I try to Save As, it says:
Run-time error '53':

File not found
And closes.

Opening an ORG made in OrgMaker and saving it with changes has no discernible effect.

Everything else appears to work fine.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:50 AM
"..."
All the save bugs have been fixed. The second one was because I forgot to convert between the old and new settings system when saving with "Save" instead of "Save As".

The old will be gone in the next minor build, but until then, download the newest version from the updated link above.