org2xm update

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ohai guise.

Link
I got off my lazy arse and updated org2xm to support Org-03 files.

Usage:
>org2xm input.org ORGxxxyy.DAT
Where the DAT file is a sample bank.

With that being said, there are a few things I'd like to add/fix.
For starters, phase test.org gets pattern 04 mangled.
And maybe using non-linear vol/pan like in Organya.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Feels like a void has been filled.

Mind if I add this to the site?

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Eh sure, but I will want to update it once in a while and you will keep up.
Also, I gotta add a few things to readme beforehand, so wait a bit.

EDIT:
Readme updated.

EDIT2:
Okay, maybe I was a bit too optimistic when I mentioned having to catch up.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2015 at 3:24 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well I've added it to the site. Let me know if you upload any changes.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:56 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Hey guys, me and Clownacy decided to make a fork of org2xm and update it a bit.
The changes we made, make it not have Windows.h that was put in the 2015 update for org 3.1 support. It was just used for something that string.h already uses, so Clownacy swapped that out, making it no longer need windows libraries to build. Also, stdint.h was added because the base code was already written in C99, and super portable code is always welcome.

Other than that, I made it so that if you don't supply a .DAT file as an agrument, it automatically uses ORG210EN.DAT, because everybody uses that version when making orgs nowadays, and typing out the path to the .DAT file EVERY time you wanted to convert a org, would just be terribly annoying. I also fixed some absolute BS typedef madness and cleaned up the code a small bit (there are still gotos in the code,:koron: and that would take a few hours to fix. Since nobody really uses the program, or honest to god cares to look at the code itself (as far as I know at least), I don't think doing any housekeeping on that level is really worth the trouble.).

I tested it with trusty old moonsong and it ported over flawlessly. :pignon:
If you're wondering why this update transpired, it's because I'm way to damn lazy to boot into windows anymore to run a application that's on the command line anyway. :greydroll:

https://github.com/Clownacy/org2xm

You're welcome.
I also got to necro bump a 4 year old thread because I was lazy, that lead me to being very un-lazy, so I can be more lazy in the future.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:30 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
So I found out yesterday, when converting some .orgs to .xm, that the org format doesn't actually fade all the way to 0 volume with it's notes, (it has a range from 0-FF, but still manages to have a high volume, even when it's set to 0??)

The .xm format has actual proper fading, (even though it only has a range from 0-3F) but the converter didn't account for this, just divided by 4, and called it a day. Any track with "reverb" in it (using the same instrument at a lower volume to give that echo effect) sounded pretty terrible because of the difference in decibels, the closer to 0 you got in each respective format (with the .xm file sounding WAY too quiet in some cases), the more noticeable the difference. This has now been fixed, and you can grab the update at the repo.

The actual minimum volume for the .orgs ( being 0 ) in .xm format ended up being 7. Over 3/16ths higher in volume.
I'm also not going to pretend that I wrote the formula for conversion, I suck at math. (You owe your thanks to TXin, for actually doing it. :critter:)

So yeah, the update has been committed, I can convert my orgs from TideWalkers, to the .xm format, and can stop pretending that anybody other than myself actually cared for this to begin with. :greydroll:

https://github.com/Clownacy/org2xm

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:29 AM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
What do you use to convert xm to waveform?
I haven't personally ever had a need to convert things from .xm to .wav before (or any other format like mp3/ogg), but I've heard that Foobar2000 is pretty decent.