ORG Music Problems

May 27, 2008 at 8:58 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ORG Music Problems (AND Core Trouble!)

I feel like such a n00b asking all these questions... Anyway, my issue is that whenever I substitute one of the current ORG files for one of my own, the game stops working. When I load it in the editor, it either comes up with no maps, or a bunch of empty ones. Before anyone says anything, I've read the tutorials, I've searched through the topics, I've got the tools required, and all that stuff. I've already tried making sure my file is smaller, larger, or the same size as the one I'm replacing. I've messed around with the Hex Editor. Nothing I've tried seems to work. I'm using the Resource Hacker to replace the files, I AM using files with the same names as the originals, and I've confirmed by looking at multiple tutorials that the information I'm putting in is correct. As soon as I hit "Save" in the resource hacker, the game gets corrupted. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or if there's a better method? I'm out of ideas... :cool:

May 28, 2008 at 5:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I would like to see this answered...

Personally i haven't found any threads on this, and i would like to know how to import orgs into the game. So i hope someone answers this question :O

May 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
OH! And I have another problem if anyone reading this is up for it! I may figure it out on my own, but if someone could tell me it'd be so much easier. After beating the core, at the part where water normally rises, and the music stops, I've noticed the game also freezes when I try calling a script to open a shutter... Is there any way to make it so nothing changes from after the battle? It must be something after the fact that makes the game freeze, who knows what causes that?

May 28, 2008 at 10:42 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Well I did try using an ORG smaller than the original, but that didn't work, maybe I'll try it that way again one more time, just in case.

Oh, and forget that second problem, I decided to make it so it transitioned to the next room automatically after the core fight... Not quite as cool, but it works.

May 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Mighta found a way to fix this...

You're using Resource hacker right?

If so all you have to do is
a)Replace an existing org with your created org
b)when replacing specify its an ORG file
c)make its name right
AND where i think your having the problem....
d)say its code language is 1041

if you do that i think it should work

ex.
org-help.jpg

if your doing this correctly then i don't see why your game is glitching...

May 29, 2008 at 5:38 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think shit happens if you do that.

Make the mod, make a backup then do shit to it.

May 29, 2008 at 6:45 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Don't worry, I always make back up copies before using Resource Hacker or the Hex Editor. :p

But the thing is Cheezer, that's EXACTLY what I did. ;)

May 29, 2008 at 10:02 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
well if that's so.....

I don't know what's going on with yours. Mine works fine when i replace music like that. Good luck with your game, though...

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh maybe i know...

What cavestory editor are you using?
I use CaveEditor (Link ) and I know using resource hacker with this editor won't corrupt the game. I prefer CaveEditor over Sue's Workshop.

[NOTE]: If you edit the mod with CaveEditor you won't be able to edit it with Sue's workshop or the Doukoutsu.exe will corrupt. (So its a good idea to keep a backup of all the files)

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:12 AM
Justin-chan
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
What cavestory editor are you using?
I use CaveEditor (Link ) and I know using resource hacker with this editor won't corrupt the game. I prefer CaveEditor over Sue's Workshop.

[NOTE]: If you edit the mod with CaveEditor you won't be able to edit it with Sue's workshop or the Doukoutsu.exe will corrupt. (So its a good idea to keep a backup of all the files)
Doesn't saving with CaveEditor crash CaveEditor?

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yea i bet if you import your orgs but edit the game with cave-editor, the game will work. Give it a try.

And saving with CaveEditor doesn't crash CaveEditor. At least not when i've used it. It's the editor i used to make Metal Gear Story (still in ver0.01 of the game). The "Save and Test" button on CaveEditor though will not work, so don't use that button.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:31 AM
Justin-chan
When I save and tested, it stopped working.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:32 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Don't press the "Save and Test" button. Just manually start Doukutsu.exe.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM
Justin-chan
Thats troublesome. I think I'll stick with Sue's.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yea it was kinda a pain at first, but i like how CaveEditor shows details for the npc's you add, and it's worked so far with importing orgs. But when i say manually using the Doukutsu.exe, that means just double clicking the shortcut. I find as long as the 2 shortcuts are in the start-menu, its easy to go back and forth between testing and editing.

Plus i don't have to constantly refer to the TSC table with the built in TSC table in the CaveEditor script editor.

[EDIT]: Oh and you can't switch between the 2 editors. CaveEditor can load games editted with Sue's workshop, but not the other way around. If you do corrupt the .exe file, just use a backup exe file (even if its the original cavestory one) and use that. The only data you'll lose (i think) is the BG data for maps will be restored to original (but map tiles will stay the same) and map names will be restored to original.

So stick to one editor.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:41 AM
Justin-chan
I memorised most of the TSC commands already. I find it easier to memorise than look back and forth.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:46 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
personally i barely touched sue's workshop. Does importing orgs work with Sue's Workshop though? I haven't tried that yet....